How to set up 2nd router as a wireless mesh point?

• @richard-colman-0

Is this correct?

I have a "kit" to which I have added a 3rd mesh point.

I am now about to add another router as a wireless mesh point, I'm hoping Richard Colman's supposition is not correct.

NJSS

• @nigel-steward @Richard-Colman-0
    Not buying a kit is not necessarily the solution, but everyones use case varies. If you need at least one router and two mesh points, then purchase a kit. The kits can be added upon with standalone units, just not another kit.
    If you only want routers to create a wired mesh network, then do not purchase any kits because the mesh points will not be able to be removed from the kit.

• @richard-colman-0 Unfortunately yes. I think Amplifi should loudly and clearly state that the kits are crippled. I found out the hard way. If I had known I could not use the kit mesh points on another router, nor add the router to another system as a mesh point, I would have bought them separately. The price difference between a kit and the separate items is not that big.

Alternatively they should provide firmware to unpair the items in a kit.

• N
    Nigel Steward less than a minute ago

@wouter-van-nispen-tot-sevenaer said in How to set up 2nd router as a wireless mesh point?:

Alternatively they should provide firmware to unpair the items in a kit.

Agreed it should be relatively simple to provide a means of unpairing the items in a kit.

Let's hope someone can tell us how, or provides the means for us to accomplish this, sooner rather than later.

NJSS

• Just bought a second router to add onto a kit I had previously bought. Everything went smoothly. I moved the 2nd router out to my unattached garage, where it seems to be working well. The candlesticks were never quite reliable out there. I'm hoping the 2nd router will continue to work well and give me some hardwired ports as well.

• @stan-shepard Are you able to use the wired ports on the RouterAsAMeshPoint?

• @ted-gilkey Yes the LAN ports on a RAMP are usable

• Does that mean I could go dsl modem->router->mesh point->router->ethernet port to device?

Thanks!

• Hi @brian-mason - yes, when an HD Router is installed as a mesh point (RAMP) its LAN Ethernet ports are active and on the network
    It doesn't matter where the RAMP is in the mesh topology, however performance will degrade some over multiple wireless hops

• @derek-saville

Hello there. I'm looking at a 2 Amplifi router config to fix a problem in my house. However, I'm obliged to use the ISP's modem/router as the wall interface so the first Amplifi unit will need to be installed in Bridge mode to the ISP unit. Will this work and can the second Amplifi unit then be added in Mesh mode to the first ?

Thanks. Regards

• Hi @colin-jones - yes, you can add a second HD router as a mesh point when the main router is in Bridge mode

I have done this many times myself

• @derek-saville

Thanks. I'll make the purchase. Presumably from reading the literature these should be two Routers purchased individually ? Regards.

• @colin-jones Correct, unless you need the mesh points (which using a router as a mesh point provides better performance) you will want to purchase two stand alone routers and not the kit.

• @ubnt-brett

Thanks.

• Glad I found this thread last night as I bought 2 AFI-R devices from the Amplifi Store on Amazon and setup the first one as a router just fine. Went to setup the second one as a mesh point following the instructions and it kept failing. Finally set it up as a router and once it showed up in the app it had two mesh points next to it dimmed out. Not good to buy a new standalone router and have it come paired to external mesh points. Was it really new or a refurb that was thrown into new packaging and sold as new?

I have another one coming today from Amazon - hopefully it is really a standalone AFI-R.

• @estesbubba That sounds like it is a kit router. Where did you buy it? I would return it as soon as possible.

• @UI-JT I bought it from the Amplifi Store on Amazon and I did start a return and hopefully the one arriving today isn't configured as a kit. What's strange is it was shrink-wrapped in an identical box as the one that wasn't part of a kit.

• I did an initial install awhile back with 2 router units. I am in an old house (plaster/lathe etc) with the main router/WAN coming into the downstairs at the far back of the house. My home office is upstairs on the complete opposite side of the house with the second router. Things work decently well, with a somewhat weak signal with the home office router/mesh point. I purchased a separate antenna/mesh point to put in the bedroom directly above the main unit to A) provide coverage to our backyard, and B) provide a better signal to the second office router.

Finally got around to updating firmwares today where it shows the signal strength pretty clearly. The second router unit is just getting an average signal. "No problem" I thought - I'll just move the antenna into the middle of the house on the upper floor. Nope, signal stayed the same.

Clearly the second unit is always trying to talk to the main unit instead of the much closer antenna? I thought with a mesh system it would prioritize traffic through the antenna to get to the main unit? Is this not the case? Is there a way to force this?

• @Chris-Sobotkiewicz said in How to set up 2nd router as a wireless mesh point?:

Clearly the second unit is always trying to talk to the main unit instead of the much closer antenna? I thought with a mesh system it would prioritize traffic through the antenna to get to the main unit? Is this not the case? Is there a way to force this?

Where the mesh point connects will be based on throughput, not necessarily connection strength. And data sent through an additional hop most of the time will be slower than a connection directly to the router.

There is not a way to force the mesh points to connect to a specific location.