Firmware v2.7.0 Released

• Hey everyone,

AmpliFi firmware version v2.7.0 has been released.

v2.7.0 Changelog:

• Ability to create an additional Wi-Fi network with a custom name and band on any node
    • Improved band steering
    • Improved Wi-Fi and Ethernet performance
    • Stability improvements

Here are the release notes: https://help.amplifi.com/hc/en-us/articles/231456348-Firmware-Release-Notes

Thank you!

• You guys did some magical with this update! Everything works perfectly for me now.

Keep up the good work.

Will you share any roadmap for the next update(s)?

• Nicely done, playing around with this now. A couple preliminary requests though:

• For nodes that have the additional SSID band set to both, why create both a 2g and 5g network? Shouldn’t it just create one network, and then allow clients that use it to use the better of the two bands (just like band steering does on the router)? And just name it after the SSID without tacking on a 2g or 5g?

• PLEASE allow us to hide these SSID’s, now I’ve just increased my attack surface by 5x, plus it just clutters up the available SSID list.

Also, I don’t know if the Teleport kernel rewrite made it in, but I’m not seeing any speed increases at all with my Teleport device. Please confirm...neither answer is good though, which is very disappointing as this was the main feature I needed

Great job on getting this out the door though..

• Awesome. I'm updating mine now. Hopefully fixes the throughput issues.

• @jayson-knight said in Firmware v2.7.0 Released:

For nodes that have the additional SSID band set to both, why create both a 2g and 5g network? Shouldn’t it just create one network, and then allow clients that use it to use the better of the two bands (just like band steering does on the router)? And just name it after the SSID without tacking on a 2g or 5g?

The justification for the existence of the "Additional SSID" feature is to better support stationary IoT devices that should be "locked" to a specific mesh node but instead "hops" from node to node because of fluctuations in signals. This feature allows you to have a "JaysonNet-Office-2G" for your old v1 Chromecast in the living room and a "JaysonNet-Basement-5G" for the 4k Chromecast in your mancave.

One of the considerations is to force the device to connect to either a 2.4GHz or a 5.0GHz network (some devices have poor 5.0GHz support so it's good to force them down to 2.4GHz - I think some older Apple products are common examples of this). Having two different SSIDs for these allows for that to happen. That said, I agree that it would be nice to have the option to combine them, but from a functional standpoint, two separate SSIDs really add more value than just a single combined SSID. That said, this is v1 of the feature - I bet it'll grow over time. I have a laundry list of feature requests to expand on this greatly (such as a separate VLAN for IoT networks, etc.).

• @kenneth-nilssen Hi Kenneth! Here's what we can share about our roadmap for the next two months:

1. more Wi-Fi performance improvements
    2. moving Teleport setup and configuration to the app (currently in web portal)
    3. removing router environment constraints needed for Teleport
    4. Teleport VPN backend change to make it 2-3x faster

• Nice work guys! Are you bringing back the roaming upgrades that you rolled back a while ago? Wifi k and r was it?

• @mikhail-kuzmin Still seeing issues with 802.11r in beta. Can't release to public at the moment.

• So far I’m digging this upgrade, and ignore my complaint from above b/c @Shane-Milton added some great commentary for me.

Here’s my configuration in case it helps anyone else (and it took me some trial and error to get it right).

I have one cube router, and two meshpoint. The router is located in my home office on the 2nd floor, and I have a mesh point each in my kitchen, and living room. On each device (mesh points and router), I enabled a 2nd SSID for both bands, and then configured all of my IoT devices (fixed devices that “live” in one room). This is straightforward enough. Connect your roaming devices (phones, laptops, etc) to your original SSID to enable those devices to hop on to the best AP available.

So far, this is working out beautifully for me. I’d rather my devices be able to figure out the best AP to use, but this works good enough, even if it did take a while to migrate everything over to (I have about 30 devices that connect).

• Since I have 3 meshpoints and live in a ranch style house, I created additional SSIDs and named them - XXXXi, XXXXo, XXXXt - left to right. This way I can remember where they are but I don't identify myself or setup. This has been working really well with my Nest equipment for a little while now.

Just a tip!

• @ubnt-gunars Are there really no immediate plans to bring feature parity in terms of QOS or at least data statistics to Ethernet connected devices when compared to wireless devices?

• Are detailed release notes available somewhere?

After updating to v2.7.0 I'm seeing a problem with DNS queries directed at my AmpliFi router. In particular, host names that resolve to A records in the 192.168 private address range are returning empty responses. Querying the upstream DNS server directly gives me the expected responses.

• Hi @mark-rowe,
    DNS rebind protection is enabled on AmpliFi router - it does not allow DNS queries to be answered with a local IP address. If you need DNS queries to be answered with a local IP addresses, either 1) configure DNS server IP address on your devices or 2) enable "Bypass DNS cache" option in AmpliFi web portal settings at http://amplifi.lan/settings.php and reconnect device's network connection.

• Everything checks out so far. Wifi performance has indeed increased again. Stable so far. Great job!

• @ubnt-karlis it should be possible to disable rebind protection only, without having to give up caching. This change is also nowhere to be found in the release notes ☹

• @ubnt-gunars As a beta tester can conform, iOS devices struggle with 802.11r.

• A quick speedtest on my gigabit connection on wifi with fw 2.7.0:

0_1528391885160_AFD50ACA-C3E9-45AC-ACFF-6C300FD29AA7.png

• No complaints! This is from my ISP.

0_1528392632465_Capture.PNG

• @ubnt-chance Band steering certainly seems to be working a lot better than it was. Good news 👌

• @popescu-sorin How did you get that fast of a DL speed on wifi? Even sitting right next to the cube, I can’t get higher than 300mb/s up.

Looks like your connection to AmpliFi was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.