Internal DNS

• I’d like to see an option in the DHCP server to specify what the hosts should use as the internal DNS server. I’ve got a home server running DNS and it’s a pain having to statically assign it in my host IP configurations.

• @nathan-murray I may be misunderstanding the question but from what I can see the Amplifi HD becomes the DHCP server.

To set the Amplifi HD as the DHCP Server.

1. Open the Amplifi app.
    2. Tap the picture of the Amplifi device.
    3. Tap Settings.
    4. Tap Internet.
    5. Tap Network Type.
      Options displayed (Static, DHCP, PPOE)
    6. Tap DHCP. The resulting check mark indicates the HD will supply non-static addresses.

Then do the following:

1. Open the AmpliFi app.
    2. Tap the picture of the AmpliFi router.
    3. Tap DHCP Server.
    4. Configure the following:
      • Range: Select the IP address range to use.
      • Subnet: Select the subnet mask to use. (IOS App only)
      • Start: Enter the starting IP address of the available range.
      • End: Enter the ending IP address of the available range.
      • Lease Validity: Select the duration of time for which IP addresses are valid.
      • Static Leases: You can assign a fixed IP address to a specific device. Select this option and then tap +.
        a. Enter a descriptive name.
        b. Enter the MAC address of the device.
        c. Select the IP address that you want to assign.
        d. Tap ✓.
    5. Tap Apply to save your settings.

• New to the forums but I did this already at a vet that hired me. They have a Windows' domain that needed to use their internal DNS settings. I performed this task by browsing to the Amplifi view web UI and selecting the Bypass DNS Cache option. Save out... change your DNS setting in the Internet section of the App for your internal private address. i.e. Domain Controller. Make sure you have your DNS configured correctly for a public DNS and reverse lookup. Your clients should have the Amplifi as the default gateway but the DNS primary and secondary will be whatever you entered. The third DNS entry would still be your Ampfili itself so the App still works to manage the system via mobile device.

Hope that helps.

• I was just in this situation and had no idea the web panel had an option to bypass. Thanks so much for the solution!

• @jayson-knight The AmpliFi has a settings to do this for IPv4. It just below the rest of the DHCP settings.
    [Cube]->Internet->Primary DNS / Secondary DNS
    I don't see how to do it for IPv6.

• @Derek-Miller This is a lifesaver. I spend the better part of the day trying to make my ornery Canon MFC connect to my domain controller and get published in AD for the rest of the hosts. This is what made it all happen. I'm a little frustrated by the lack of flexibility with my Amplifi Alien Mesh - I had DHCP and DNS working perfectly on my Domain Controller with my previous router/WiFi setup, and I thought it would be no big deal to keep on doing business this way. Should have done my homework first to understand what I was diving into. Other than this, I am extremely happy with the system, but it is clear some of the things I thought I would be able to easily control are just not available.