Amplifi system configured as multiple APs for large home

• I thought i would share my experience setting up 4 or more Amplifi routers in AP mode with at least one router meshed and the others configured as standard Ethernet connected APs (aka "Ethernet Backhaul"). . This scenario is for a multi story large home (5-10K sq ft) with existing Ethernet cabling and an existing router and Ethernet switch.

Basic configuration:

Customer Home Router => Amplifi #1 (bridged) => Amplifi #2 and #3 (Ethernet backhaul) and Amplifi #4 Wireless Mesh

This setup is akin to setting up a standard wireless network with multiple APs.

The process to set them up seems to me pretty convoluted so here are the steps i needed to perform.

DETERMINE BEST LOCATION FOR MAIN UNIT THAT WILL BE BRIDGED. FIND LOCATION OPTIMAL FOR ANY UNITS CONFIGURED AS WIRELESS MESH POINTS. [ IT IS NOT CLEAR IF 'MESH POINTS' WILL HOME BACK TO UNITS CONFIGURED AS BACKHUAL.] ALL UNITS CAN BE INITIALLY CONFIGURED ON EXISTING NETWORK BY PLUGGING THE AMPLIFI WAN PORT INTO THE EXISTING NETWORK'S LAN. FOR CONFIGURATION PURPOSES YOU DO NOT NEED TO PLUG THEM INTO A WAN PORT.

1 Update firmware on ALL units before anything. To do so:
    a. First unit can be setup once with correct network name and password
    b. Perform firmware update
    c. Under Internet settings change to Bridge Mode
    d. Unplug first unit, label
    e. 2nd and subsequent units configure like normal router and then update firmware (i used dummy wifi names passwords to simplify setup on these subsequent units)
    f. Factory reset all but bridged unit to defaults (will need a small paperclip)

1. Configure units in AP mode with Ethernet backhaul:
      a. First you must configure the second and subsequent units as a Wireless Mesh point.
      b. Plug main bridged unit back in and connect to home network.
      c. Plug in 2nd Unit. Wait for it to boot. Ensure it is close to main unit. At this point do not connect the two units with a patch cable.
      d. Fire up Amplif App. the App should locate both units with option to Add Mesh Point
      e. Click OK and then BE SURE TO PHYSICALLY TAP ON SCREEN OF MAIN UNIT TO 'ADD MESH POINT' (this cannot be done in the App)
      f. Once configured as Wireless Mesh Point, tap on the mesh point icon in the app to configure.
      g. Now use a patch cable and plug one end into WAN port of Mesh Point and the other end into the LAN Port of main AP unit (the bridged unit)
      h. Turn on Ethernet Backhaul in App for the Mesh Point device.
      i. When done and the unit appears in the App as backhauled, you can move the device to desired location. It does not need to be plugged directly into the bridged unit. Both units only need to be plugged into the same LAN Ethernet switch (like a normal AP).

2. To configure unit as Wireless Mesh point – same as above but skip steps F thru I.

On all units name them as appropriate and make other adjustments such as LCD and LED brightness. Test wireless coverage and move units as necessary.

One question i have is whether an amplifi router configured as Wireless Mesh point will home to nearest 'backhauled' unit or will only home to main bridged unit. Have not had the opportunity to test this. Does anyone know?

any comments welcome!

Looks like your connection to AmpliFi was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.