Remove hardware code between router and mesh points.

• @juan-perez-0 I have a tendency to agree with you, but I suspect it has to do with the intended market of the Amplifi Kit. I believe the 80-90% of the intended market will have no need for multiple routers, thus will have no need to use a locked mesh point with a different router.

I think that most of the desire to remove the lock comes from techies like us trying to get more out of the device than its intended market.

What Amplifi needs to realize is that the techies (10-20% of the market) who purchase their product can have a substantial impact on recommendations of their product.

When a potential customer asks a techie which mesh product they recommend that recommendation will often be a product they have used. If we don't fully take into account the potential customers environment and technical knowledge, we will not recommend a product that has a deficiency that affects us, even thou it may have NO affect on the person asking for the recommendation.

If the recommendation we make is Amplifi, we currently need to tell the person to purchase the Amplifi router and mesh points separately, not tell them to purchase a different brand simply because their kit does not lock the mesh point to one router.

If Amplifi cannot remove the lock then Amplifi needs to clearly highlight this fact in the products description or maybe even stop selling the Kit!

• @kris-tanis I just found out that they are locked; I’m shocked!! I absolutely love Ubnt but my faith has been shaken. I bought a kit a few months ago but only needed one mesh point. Now I’m installing another kit where I was going to add that extra mesh point and I CAN’T.
    Now I am realizing that if my router goes I am forced into buying a whole new setup (not buying another kit, fool me twice ubnt...)
    I’m returning this kit but unfortunately I can’t return my other kit. I will no longer recommend AMPLIFI to anyone. This lock makes the kit a bad investment FOR ENYONE. “Sorry grandma, you’ll have to spend another $400.”

How “user friendly” is that ubnt?

Buy hey, at least it’s easy to setup!

• @matt-j I understand your upset but since you love UBNT, why not return the kit and purchase individual devices instead of a kit?

• why not return the kit and purchase individual devices instead of a kit?

If the logistics work and not too much hassle, good idea to swap the routers around, install the kit at the new location and just get what you need at the original location

• @matt-j you are not the only one. There should be a "flash at your own risk" option to break the link, but despite numerous requests, Amplifi have not provided it. I DID notice however, that now at least, they show a warning - absent when I bought the kit - that the kits are locked.

Returning the kit is no longer an option, as my need to expand my system arose after the return period had expired.

Oh well. First world problem (that's my mantra).

• Not a personal problem, I am happy to say.

An acquaintance has the bundled kit of a Router & two Mesh points. He's out of warranty & it appears that his router has failed. He asked me if he bought a new router will he be able to use the mesh points which were bound to the old router.

If the answer is "Yes" how does he bind them to a new router?

If the answer is "No"presumably they have no value?

NJSS

• @nigel-steward In an instance where the router dies and it is part if a kit the MeshPoints that came with the device will not be able to pair to a new router.

• @ui-jt So I can tell my friend that all three devices he purchased are scrap.

Understandably I don't think he will be very pleased !

Judging from what he was saying yesterday, when I told him this was likely, I'm sure he won't be buying or recommending Amplifi or Ubiquiti equipment in the future.

Is there nothing which can be salvaged?

NJSS

• @nigel-steward Unfortunantly those kit MeshPoints cannot be salvaged, the hard coding in the kits has been discussed on our forums before.

• @ui-jt Many thanks.

I've loaned him kit to keep him on-line & he has kindly given me the router power supply.

As there's nothing from the Mesh Points which can be reused they are off to recycling.

I'm suggesting he stays with Amplifi or Ubiquiti but doesn't buy "bundled" kit but I think he's a lost cause.

• As there's nothing from the Mesh Points which can be reused they are off to recycling.

Hi @nigel-steward - you can separate the electrical plug side of the magnetic ball joint and keep them as spare power supplies for other MeshPoint HD’s as they do occasionally burn out

I know it’s not much, but something...

• @derek-saville

Thanks Derek - I thought that might be the case, hopefully I can save them too.

NJSS

Looks like your connection to AmpliFi was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.