Remove hardware code between router and mesh points.

• @beadlesabout I hope this turns out to be correct. Given how many issues there have been with these products depending on hardware versioning, this may be a 'works for some, not for others' solution.

• @beadlesabout thank you for your persistence with this obvious design flaw. I purchased a mesh point thinking that I can extend my wireless range, to my surprise the mesh point is locked and currently useless. Lets hope they get this sorted soon.

• @ottme2 Hi, please reach out to our support team with your issue.

• @beadlesabout Wow that’s funny as when I asked a year ago they told me they were useless and should be disposed of as I had a faulty router so the mesh points became paperweights I couldn’t use with a new system.

Would be amazed to see them backtrack on this.

• @UI-AmpliFi until you can impair kit mesh points there’s no point in them reaching out to your support as they can’t do anything about it.

• It will probably be too little too late for most of us. The entire Amplifi product line is dead as a dodo.

• @beadlesabout @Brendan-M please do, the support will provide an alpha version and intstructions that will allow to unpair meshpoint from the kit. After additional tests this feature will be rolled out into public firmware.

• @UI-AmpliFi said in Remove hardware code between router and mesh points.:

the support will provide an alpha version and intstructions that will allow to unpair meshpoint from the kit. After additional tests this feature will be rolled out into public firmware.

I am pleased to read this. Hopefully in the light of how long this issue has been outstanding it will be dealt with promptly.

Maybe Alpha this month, Beta in October, and a full production version by the end of November.

NJSS

• @UI-AmpliFi Hi! Om having the same problem! I recently bought a new kit with 2 meshpoints and a router, that are hard coded together. Do you have a solution for this problem?
    // Viktor

• @UI-AmpliFi I did reach out to support already. Request #303023

Looks like I have to wait for new firmware to unload and reload mesh extender with my standalone router.

• @beadlesabout I can confirm the process and new firmware worked perfectly! I was a tester and able to unpair a mesh point that was bundled within a kit, then add to my standalone router.

Firmware and process worked flawlessly. That is all I am able to share with everyone. Hopefully will be released to everyone soon!

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• @Shahin-Fard

These are instructions received, and it worked for me. Keep in mind I had to load the firmware manually to unpair so instruction starting with ** will differ slightly, but away from this I think it should be about the same. ☺

• Plugin the mesh point to the power
    • Hold the reset button for 40 sec (until all of the LEDs are blinking fast)
    • The WiFI with SSID will appear "AFi-P-HD-[end of the serial number]-Recovery"
    • Connect to the WiFi and in the browser enter amplifi.lan or 192.168.1.20
      ******* After a successful update (mesh points LED will do an inside-out pattern), hold the Reset button again for 40 sec.*****
    • The WiFI with SSID will appear "AFi-P-HD-[end of the serial number]-Recovery"
    • Connect to the WiFi and in the browser enter amplifi.lan or 192.168.1.20
    • In the Web interface tap on the button "Remove factory pairing from the kit device" to unpair the mesh point
    • After a successful unpairing process you will be able to add this mesh point to the new kit by powering it on and taping on the new AmpliFi HD LCD display that will say "ADD TO MESH".

It works and just a matter of time before released... hopefully.

• @ottme2 Thank you so much ! I've raised a support ticket so hopefully, they'll send me the updated firmware.

• @ottme2
    hii.. thank for the great instruction... but where can i download the firmware? or can you share please....
    thank

• If AmpliFi have hacked their unhackable hardcode using hacked firmware, will this become a standard capability in public firmware releases?

Or will this solution always be a recovery mode install after obtaining special firmware from support?

• @Derek-Saville nonsensical argument. In order to reset the mesh you'll need to physically have the item in hand to even think about starting the reset process.

I would say this is a good thing for many people to actually use the item that was collecting dust, like myself previously.

• Hi @ottme2 - what is the argument you believe I am making?

The solution you described currently places the kit MeshPoint in Recovery mode in order to install a 'hacked' firmware to bypass AmpliFi's previously claimed unbreakable hardware locked crypto module - true?

And @UI-AmpliFi stated in post #67 that "this feature will be rolled out into public firmware" - true?

So I asked if the solution will be baked into the firmware as a standard option or if it will always require an entry into recovery mode to be completed - what is 'nonsensical' or 'argumentative' about that?

I never said it wasn't a 'good thing' and quite the contrary, it's nice to see they finally delivered an option for something they claimed for years was impossible, and it will be a relief to no longer see the multitude of posts from people burned by their previous hardcoded policy, and we can stop recommending against kits, although I would personally still stick with standalone routers for the redundancy

• @Derek-Saville I can completely understand your frustration and disbelief.

@UI-AmpliFi I can’t believe the support team have been telling people for years that these were hard coded and unlocking them was physically impossible! Some on this forum may have actually thrown away perfectly good mesh extenders based on your information!

Edit: To be fair to Ubiquiti, you are still supporting a product line which is now in its fourth(?) year, which is highly commendable and not something we would likely see from the likes of Netgear, ASUS etc