Introducing AmpliFi Instant!

• Meet the newest member of the AmpliFi family- AmpliFi Instant! AmpliFi Instant takes 2 minutes to setup and delivers fast and reliable Wi-Fi to your entire home.
    0_1539104586209_VGOFODAQ.jpg

Here is our blog describing the features and benefits of the AmpliFi Instant: https://blog.amplifi.com/2018/10/09/introducing-amplifi-instant/

Scan this barcode to view the data sheet:
    0_1539104596286_KlRMsVJg.jpg
    0_1539104566416_0jYP2bSw.png

• Congratulations, AmpliFi team! This is a very cool product.

• Looks great!

But I have a lot of questions:

• The only use for the ethernet on the back of the mesh point is to connect legacy devices that don't have wi-fi or can I use for wired backhaul?

• Will this device work in bridge mode if necessary?

• Can I install more than one system (router - in this case as a bridge + mesh) on the same network (I need isolate my house from my inlaws house, for automation and home security systems not crossing, but we share the same ISP connection, also, the ISP have Voip and IPTV, so ditching the ISP router is not a option)

• Will this product work together with the Ampli-fi HD (can I use a Ampli-fi instant as a mesh point to a Ampli-fi HD?)

• Will this device support the Ampli-fi teleport?

• I dig the 2 minute setup, but will this device support more advanced functions for advanced users?

• @guilherme-freire

• The only use for the ethernet on the back of the mesh point is to connect legacy devices that don't have wi-fi or can I use for wired backhaul?
      This can be used for wired backhaul, or if the mesh point is connected wirelessly it can be used as a lan port
    • Will this device work in bridge mode if necessary?
      Yes it will work in bridge mode
    • Can I install more than one system (router - in this case as a bridge + mesh) on the same network (I need isolate my house from my inlaws house, for automation and home security systems not crossing, but we share the same ISP connection, also, the ISP have Voip and IPTV, so ditching the ISP router is not a option)
      No, the ability to create multiple networks in your home without running a double NAT would require more than one public IP from your ISP.
    • Will this product work together with the Ampli-fi HD (can I use a Ampli-fi instant as a mesh point to a Ampli-fi HD?)
      Yes you can add this to an AmpliFi HD system, however you cannot mix kits. So if you are adding the Instant, make sure you purchase a stand alone router
    • Will this device support the Ampli-fi teleport?
      Yes it does support AmpliFi Teleport
    • I dig the 2 minute setup, but will this device support more advanced functions for advanced users?
      The application and WEB-UI are the same as the AmpliFi HD, so you can expect the same advanced options as the AmpliFi-HD

• @ubnt-brett Does it use the same app as the HD?

• @james-ford Yes it does

• Does guest access work out of the box? My brother has Amplifi HD, and had to put his ISP modem in bridge mode, and Amplifi in router mode to get guest access and parental controls to work. Does Instant have guest access when connected to non-bridged ISP modem?

• @hans-sc Same as AmpliFi-HD. when not in bridge mode you will have guest network options as well as parental controls

• @ubnt-brett

Thank you very very much. I already posted the answer in the Ampli-fi Subreddit to help there.

About the double NAT, wouldn't this be a problem only if I used the Ampli-fi in router mode, If both Ampli-fi's were in bridge mode all the routing would be done in the ISP router, or I'm wrong?

• @guilherme-freire You are correct! I misunderstood your question. The routing would be done by the ISP if both AmpliFi devices were placed into bridge mode, but the addresses that would be distributed to both AmpliFi routers would be on the same network in that case, unless you can create two separate networks vis your ISP router

• Can you mix and match instant mesh with Amplifi-HD?

• Hi @ubnt-brett - looking at the spec’s the Instant seems to be a lower cost of entry to AmpliFi mesh tech = 2x2 MIMO, lower profile single polarity antennae, single LAN port, smaller gray scale screen, no USB (kidding)

Are there any upgrades from the HD routers?
    Like an upgraded processor with more throughput?
    More memory?
    Anything that might improve Teleport performance?
    Any other interesting bits?

Thanks

• So is it fair for me to think of this as an "AmpliFi Lite" system? Or is this a v2 router meant to replace the AmpliFi HD system? This is unclear to me. I think the former (based on specs), but it's not entirely obvious.

• Hi @shane-milton - sure looks pretty thin...

• @ubnt-brett

This looks realy interesting!
    I have one additional question: Can I add an AmpliFi Instant MeshPoint to an existing AmpliFi HD Mesh?
    You said one cannot mix kits. Does this mean I can only add an Instant router as client? But is it than really part of the wireless mesh backhaul?

The use case is as follows: My AmpliFi HD router is connected to the ISP's modem/router in room A. Now I want to add my wired devices in room B to the network. So a mesh point with an ethernet port would be great.

• @derek-saville

Asked about upgrades for the current HD routers; I'm told there is a different part number & that a change is "in the pipeline".

I have also heard of a vague FCC registration for a new Amplifi model - but that is probably a few months off.

NJSS

• @guido-breitenhuber said in Introducing AmpliFi Instant!:

This looks realy interesting!
    I have one additional question: Can I add an AmpliFi Instant MeshPoint to an existing AmpliFi HD Mesh?
    You said one cannot mix kits. Does this mean I can only add an Instant router as client? But is it than really part of the wireless mesh backhaul?
    The use case is as follows: My AmpliFi HD router is connected to the ISP's modem/router in room A. Now I want to add my wired devices in room B to the network. So a mesh point with an ethernet port would be great.

I second this question ... and how can one buy just a mesh point and not a router? The HD kits should have always had points with ethernet jacks. 🙂

• @ubnt-brett Looks amazing! I've heard Amazon and Best Buy will be selling the Instant, but haven't seen them listed there yet. Do you know when sales will begin outside of Amplifi.com? I'd be happy to buy from you, but I can get free 2-day shipping through Prime (or pick it up today at my local Best Buy) if they had it. If it'll be a while, I may buy through here. Thanks!

• @shane-milton This is not a replacement unit for the AmpliFi HD. This is another variant of our product to meet a broader spectrum of our clients needs. A lite version is a fair assumption of the product, more like a cost effective device that is not the powerhouse like the AmpliFi HD.

• @guido-breitenhuber To answer that question, the mesh point that comes in the AmpliFi Instant kit is not sold separately, however you can use the Instant stand alone router as a mesh point and have that be your wired backhaul unit. With the device having a price point of 99.99 it offers a lower priced add on mesh point option with the wired backhaul feature. Keep in mind, another option is to add an AmpliFi-HD as a wired backhaul mesh point as well if you want a more robust add on.

Looks like your connection to AmpliFi was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.