LAN vs WiFi Speed

• Newbie here...

I've got my modem going into any AmpliFi, and from there I have 2 iMacs, a synology NAS and a printer connected via ethernet. I also have a 2016 MacBook Pro.

When I copy files from the Synology to my MacBook Pro (on the ac network) I can copy about 1.5gb worth of RAW photos in about 45 seconds. When I copy files from the Synology to my iMac via Ethernet, it copies the same folder in 15 seconds.

Should my AC speeds be three times slower than 1gb ethernet speeds?

• @nathan-welton hey. Welcome. Yeah, that’s totally normal. Hardlined hard drives, computers, etc. will always be faster as if it’s a direct connection, where WiFi will always be slower.

• Yes. The Mbps ratings for Wi-Fi are somehow misleading. You're actually getting half the speed as opposed to wired Ethernet. If you have a wired 1Gbps connection, you'll get roughly 100MBps performance. However, if you have a 1Gbps wireless connection, most you'll get is 50MBps. So yeah, 45 vs. 15 seconds sounds about right.

Looks like your connection to AmpliFi was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.