Mobile App and Clients unable to connect under specific workload

• So I haven't yet had my fill of morning coffee. This might be a little rambling.

Essentially there's an issue where under a specific set of circumstances the Amplifi HD router falls on its head.

Here's the situation:

• Amplifi as the primary router at a home. No mesh points, just the cube.
    • Connection is a symmetrical cable connection (30/30 - static IP - no bandwidth limits).
    • One laptop, mine, is used to connect back to the office's pfSense-based router using OpenVPN. This connection on this laptop stays up almost permanently.
    • On said laptop, I also use a variety of virtual machines to connect to other services, mostly via OpenVPN (AWS clusters, GCP clusters, other servers/services).

To be clear - Laptop connects to office VPN. Virtual Machine uses another VPN which tunnels back through the office to the remote. So two layers. Never been a problem.

During a recent session of a prolonged transfer within one of these virtual machines connected to another network via VPN, at not-near-the-limit rate of about 12mbits/sec, a family member couldn't connect to the network (there were only about 6 wireless clients at the time, none using any significant bandwidth - and this family member was nearly adjacent to the Amplifi router).

I tried to use the Amplify app on my iOS devices to see what's up. Can't connect. Timeouts occur.

Hmm.

Eventually I thought to cancel the transfer. Boom - back up. Clients can connect.

Resume transfer - bang - clients can't connect, app can't access the Amplifi. Existing clients work, but response is dead slow and some requests fail.

This is a problem - a reasonably concerning in a first-world-problems sort of way. Our 10 year old Apple Airport Extreme, the previous home router, had absolutely no issues with this workload for the last 4 years; often with far more clients and a number of these second VPN connections simultaneously.

Amplifi is running 2.4.0

Where do we go from here?

Looks like your connection to AmpliFi was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.