Introducing AmpliFi Gamer's Edition

• @ubnt-brett This is very cool. One question though, if we don't need to worry about pointing the mesh points, why would it still come with a rotating outlet (at 270 degree rotation)?

• Just to clarify, is the new Amplifi Gamer Edition Router compatible with Amplifi HD routers used as ethernet backbones and/or wireless points?

• Hi @mingran-wang - I think they implemented rotation as a universal solution to address all of the complaints in places like Europe where sometimes plugs are oriented differently than the USA.

In some places the old MeshPoints would be upside down without a plug adapter

• So how would the units conpare in bridge mode and acess point mode, compared to the normal hd units?
    Also I hope I can get it in red or white.

Also I hope QoS supports Cake-FQ_Codel packet scheduler, and support for full cone nat.
    It would be nice if there was intrusion prevention software similar to Asus, that uses trend micro or even if a new gaming model had it.

• @alexs-gonzalez No program as of yet has been discussed or designed but I will forward this request. Thats a great idea!

• @michaele don't worry, this does not mean that the other AmpliFi products will get less attention. In regards to the wired QoS, as of right now there are no plans to develop or integrate wired QoS in the standard version. Some users have found great success in configuring an EdgeRouter X in conjunction with AmpliFi. This could be a solution for the issues you are facing.

• @adam-mitchell As of right now there are no plans to develop or integrate wired QoS in the standard version. Some users have found great success in configuring an EdgeRouter X in conjunction with AmpliFi. This could be a solution for the issues you are facing. There are a few threads in the community about this specifically.

• @scott-mckinney Yes they will be compatible but the gaming features will stick to the Gamer's Edition. Side not, the Gamer's Edition is only available in the kit, so it will need to be the main router in your setup. @Edward-Dolezal I believe this answers your question as well.

• @ubnt-brett I think half the problems people experience with their home Internet connections are two fold.

1. Bufferbloat is a a problem and can be solved by integrating codel or cake. Why can't this be done? You could even auto detect the issue during a speedtest and automatically set the Smart Queue values based on its findings. However, a user should be able to manually configure it.

2. It seems all consumer mesh systems seem to let the user place the mesh APs wherever without a concern about being to close. I just read that iDevices won't roam until -70+! This actually brings up another point, my main Internet connection is in the worse place possible, right in the middle of my basement. By having the AP down there and one right above it about 10ft over, I do have issues with connectivity. There is no site survey results, or suggestions from the app "hey, move meshpoint a little further away" or "I am turning this AP off, it is useless down here...".

At the same time, it would be wonderful if I could just disable the client wifi ssid from the main router and allow the two meshrouters I have added as meshpoints be the only APs. I would have clear definition with each being on each side of the house.

I can see an average home user plugging an Amplifi system in and while their wifi coverage will be amazing, if bufferbloat is a problem, which they more than likely will not even know about, they could be disappointed even though it has nothing to do with Amplifi. Same thing with APs being too close, my Pixel freaks out in the bathroom which is center to two of them (even 5ghz -45/-50 for both) but because I can't disable the one in the bad location, I am stuck with it.

I have an ErX in front of it just for fq_codel, but maybe I want to try cake for per IP performance? Either way I am in a double nat because there is no separate guest / vlan functionality within Amplifi and I do not want my guests using my *cast devices, nor my IoT tvs on my network.

You can make a simple easy to use system (via the app) and add very advanced features (via the webpage or advanced app) and have the best of both worlds.

Unifi from what I understand, has only ceiling and wall mounted APs, no AirMax Air Cube type device, so I am having to stick with Amplifi because of ascetics when clearly I desire a higher level of functionality.

First world problems man!! 🙂

• @ubnt-brett thank you but I do find it odd that QoS only affects wireless traffic and both wired traffic also. And will there be a white kit or just black, both the gamers edition and default units should have cake support if the kernel version supports it ie, a kind version 4.x.x had cake built in.

• Hi @michaele - someone should KickStart little Faraday cages for the cubes to block both 2.4 & 5 GHz or 2.4 GHz only.
    They could also add an 802.11v option to the web interface to spoof selected AP's as "Do Not Roam Here" always being fully loaded.

Can't you put the ER-X in transparent bridge mode between your ISP and the AmpliFi router?
    That's how I am currently testing QoS options to try to improve my Teleport streaming experience.

• @derek-saville I hadn't tried since I originally segregated my Verizon fem2cell. That's an idea but doesn't take away from my requests LOL!

• Hi @michaele - I agree with your requests!
    But I don't think AmpliFi will ever allow for an option to disable the main router's WiFi if wired Ethernet backhaul is enabled and functioning.
    Then they would need to re-enable WiFi automatically to communicate with mesh points if the backhaul is severed.
    And then they couldn't guarantee the mesh points were in range. etc.

In my opinion, they want AmpliFi to primarily be a "turn it on and it works" product and is not meant for 'enthusiasts'.

I also believe they are becoming firmware space and/or cpu limited with this hardware.
    Look at what they had to do for 'Turbo Mode'.
    That is why I wish they would make unofficial AmpliFi firmware for the USG or ER-X to manage the network and just let the HD's do their WiFi thing and display data.

At one time AmpliFi was planned to be supported by UNMS, but I believe that has been dropped now too...

• @derek-saville actually that's a great idea why don't they make a separate enthusiast unit so it provides an option for those Interested people and covers another market, since as an Asus user, im tempted to switch from Asus as my main router to ubiqity if a unit that is released meets my needs in the way of QoS and ports as well as security.

• Hi @edward-dolezal - if they did they might even have enough CPU cycles left over to run the dormant USB port...

• @derek-saville but I was told it's confidential as to why they can't enable it, mabye it divides by zero if it's enable, therefore destroying the universe.

But all jokes aside I believe it's to do with the amount not ram the unit has its to low for disk caching, I've been officially told the reason is confidential, but I wish they did give a reasonable explanation or just enable it.

• @ubnt-brett also I hope there will be a standalone unit that gets released as well as Mesh points with the same design as the gamers edition but white.
    Would be nice with a white gamers edition because that would match my PC Case the white and blue, I'm already setting a theme lol.

• It is of course my hope that every router gets sqm, fq_codel (RFC8290) and/or cake on both the wifi and wired interfaces this year! fq_codel has been the default on all interfaces in openwrt and derivatives for over 5 years, where it works at line rate - however configuring "qos" for limited ISP bandwidths on top of that requires something like the sqm-scripts and a gui interface, or cake (which turns the sqm-scripts into a one liner for up, and 4 lines for down)

The sqm-scripts have been available for a long time (for openwrt derivatives and general linux), it makes configuring a good gamer and de-bloated experience a snap.

We've made backporting cake, in particular, pretty easy for kernel versions going back as far as linux 3.10, and it entered the linux kernel mainline as of 4.19 in august.

None of this stuff eats much flash or memory. It should be a matter of an hour or three to port to your platform. SQM does require a bit of either manual or automated configuration. ubnt, evenroute and Eero have come up with good automated setups, otherwise we document how to tune on the sqm related web pages.

• fq_codel for wifi is different. Our original implementation did not deal with aggregation well. We fixed that 2 years ago.

fq_codel for wifi is now deeply embedded in linux with no way to turn it off! But: It's only available for 3 chipsets though: ath9k, ath10k, and mt76.

If it's any competitive incentive... eero & google wifi both use fq_codel for wifi, already, and I have unconfirmed reports of it being in use in many other places. (in addition to openwrt/dd-wrt/etc). I'm not sure to what extent it is in ubnt's wifi gear... certainly the cake stuff is insanely popular on the edgerouter and fq_codel in pfsense.

Some code links:

cake: https://github.com/dtaht/sch_cake
    sqm-scripts: https://github.com/tohojo/sqm-scripts

Writeups:

https://lwn.net/Articles/705884/ - make-wifi-fast
    https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/traffic-shaping/sqm

Example of sqm's benefits:
    ... on cable modems (vs pie): http://burntchrome.blogspot.com/2014/05/i-dont-like-this-pie-more-bufferbloat.html
    dsl and fiber benefit also but I've not time for it. google for fq_codel. 🙂

cake has a ton of new features (per-host fq, ack-filtering). There's a paper on it,

https://arxiv.org/abs/1804.07617

and one example of how much ack-filtering can help, is here:

http://blog.cerowrt.org/post/ack_filtering/

If you have any trouble making this stuff work on your platform, please feel free to drop in on our mailing lists.

• And I figure anybody that uses wifi, would skip to fig 4 here, and start lusting for fq_codel on their wifi device. Even twitch gaming gets feasible with good signal strength.

https://www.usenix.org/system/files/conference/atc17/atc17-hoiland-jorgensen.pdf

fq_codel became the default on OSX wifi in feburary.

• @dave-taht they have sqm in their edgerouter platform. I use one bridged between my isp and Amplifi.