Hand-Off Questions Before Purchasing

• In advance, I apologize if these topics have already been addressed, but I have been going through the forum for about 2 hours trying to sponge up everything I can. I am wondering if it is mandatory to set the band on the mesh points to either 2.4 or 5, or if they are always running both bands. My house is primarily concrete, so it would be ideal if the mesh point in the basement would run on 5 while in I am in range, then change to 2.4 when it detects that it would be better.

Also, are both bands under the same SSID? My current router, Netgear Nighthawk X6 initially had each band separate and I had to enable Smart Connect to consolidate the SSID's. I have a pretty simple ecosystem, Smart TV, PC's, tablets, phones, and my car, so I'm not terribly concerned about dedicated channels for IoT and whatnot at this point in time. Gaming is priority, followed by streaming, then everything else.

I have an unopened Linksys Velop Tri-Band, and the Smart Connect seems appealing with the dedicated backhaul both wired and wirelessly, but I do not like that the QoS is limited to devices, and not task-based, so I'm currently torn between the two.

• @andrew-jones-0 great questions!
    It is not mandatory for you to set a band on the mesh points, it will broadcast both unless only 2.4 is in range.
    Both bands are under the same primary SSID. You can also create additional SSID's which broadcast 2.4GHz, 5GHz or both.

AmpliFi HD also has ethernet backhaul options when you mesh two HD routers together, but you need to purchase the standalone router (AFI-R) because two kits cannot be meshed into one.

Looks like your connection to AmpliFi was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.