Amplifi HD slow performance

• I've had the Amplifi base system for almost two years, then upgraded to the HD system. I've also very recently upgraded FIOS to Gigabit from 100mbps. In speed testing the most I'm getting over wifi is 200mbps down, sometimes as low as 80, and about the same over wired. I've enable the hardware NAT, rebooted, same. Contacted support which said to wait 24-48 hours for effects to take place, and the factory reset. So I've just factory reset, and re-enable the hardware NAT, and same. Is this the best I can expect from this system with GB internet?

• Have you attempted to Mac clone an isp unit to see if that works, it might help, in the possibility that they are throttling you because you aren't using Thier hardware.

• @edward-dolezal I haven't, but I signed up for it under "User your own" so I don't have a MAC address to clone

• @thor-jensen ah it's not like here in Australia where they just give it to you and push you to use it.

• @thor-jensen your wireless performance can be tricky to diagnose, so many variables to consider. First, lets make sure you are getting your full gig performance on wired devices to eliminate other potential issues.
    Also, which device is placed in bridge mode, AmpliFi or your FIOS modem/router?

• @thor-jensen said in Amplifi HD slow performance:

I'm getting over wifi is 200mbps down, sometimes as low as 80, and about the same over wired. I've enable the hardware NAT,

Firstly, good on enabling hardware NAT. This is a must for gigabit connections.

Secondly, there is a LOT that goes into wireless speeds, including MIMO support both on the networking equipment and on the client. Generally, with a mesh system, 80-200mbps is pretty decent. Can it go faster? Yes, but there's a lot of "well, it depends" variables that go into it. Just for expectation setting, you should not expect max single-device speeds on a mesh network. A mesh network is about maximum coverage and maximum reliability for many devices, not optimizing for a single device. There are tradeoffs and AmpliFi's tradeoffs are not geared towards maximum single-device performance.

Next, let's talk about the wired connection speeds. If you're only seeing 200mbps max on ethernet, then there is something wrong. Fortunately, this situation allows us to remove all of the variables of wireless. So immediately, do a couple tests:

1. Bypass your AmpliFi equipment and connect a computer directly to your internet connection. What speeds to you see here? They should be more-or-less the same as what you get with an ethernet speedtest through the AmpliFi equipment.
    2. Make sure your ethernet connection is not via a USB adapter. These can have major issues with limiting bandwidth. If you're using a USB adapter on a laptop, try a different computer with a built-in ethernet port. If this changes things, you might just need a better USB adapter. Some are much better than others (this "gigabit" adapter maxes out at 480mbps, for instance).

If bypassing the AmpliFi equipment doesn't result in a significant different in speeds, then you've proven that the issue is not the AmpliFi equipment but something else. Whether it's your computer or your ISP or your modem, that's the next step to figure out. If nothing changes much, then the two likely reasons for something being wrong are:

1. The server you're doing a speed test against simply cannot perform better with your iSP. Make sure you're testing with a LOT of different speedtest servers. I had a gigabit connection from Spectrum where ~8 different speedtests showed it maxing out at ~400mbps (I bypassed my AmpliFi equipment and confirmed identical speeds). It was to the point that I had their technicians working with me for over a month on it trying to figure out what was wrong (I think I had 8 different people to my house!). Turns out, the 9th speedtest server I tried (via Google Fiber's speedtest) was able to hit 900mbps. So the real problem was really that their network infrastructure's connection to the internet (interconnects) was just crap and there wasn't anything I could do about it. I switched to a different ISP offering gigabit and all was well!
    2. Your FIOS modem/device/whatever might be the bottleneck. I'm not largely familiar with FIOS so I can't speak to much to it. But that's a start. Ultimately, you'll probably have to deal with their customer support to get it fixed.

Finally, if you're having a AmpliFi device-optimization issue, that tends to hit a wall at ~400mbps. So if you see fast speeds bypassing AmpliFi but adding AmpliFi decreases bandwidth to ~400mbps, that's an indication that some setting needs to be tweaked. But if you've done a factory reset and then enabled Hardware NAT, that's really about all you have to do to get ~950+mbps downloads with AmpliFi via ethernet.

Last thoughts:

• Do you have any other networking equipment involved? Switches?
    • Are all ethernet cables, wall plates, etc. gigabit-rated equipment? (You're not using an old CAT5 ethernet cable, are you?)
    • Is it possible that your PC is just incapable of handling gigabit speeds? Not all computers can actually handle that.
    • Web-based speedtests are somewhat bottlenecks themselves. If you're on Windows 10, go get the Ookla Speedtest app from the Windows Store. I see pretty significant differences in speed tests when I use that vs the web site.

• @shane-milton 👏 👏
    A thumbs up was not enough

• Whew, I've got some answerin to do!
    Okay, so my Amplifi system is setup "out of the box", I've only set the SSID and password, and changed the hardware NAT setting.
    The Amplifi plugs directly into Verizon's fiber box, no router. I brought home a laptop from work the other day to test speed going into the Amplifi and I get the advertised speeds. I just retested ethernet speed as I happened to have a laptop from work again, bets 2 out of 3, coming from Verizon is 904.40/766.06, coming out of the Amplifi switch is 476.84/517.16. ISP Tests from within the Amplifi app vary from 97.2/96 to 225.6/105.
    The only equipment is Amplifi, the only cable in place came with it and plugs directly into Verizon's fiber box.
    Device used for testing ethernet is gb capable.
    I'm getting plenty of bandwidth from Verizon, but Amplifi doesn't seem to be delivering it

• I'm going to try it in bridged mode once I get DHCP configured on another device to see if I'm getting 980mbps through the Amplifi switch with seemingly the firewall turned off

• @thor-jensen said in Amplifi HD slow performance:

ISP Tests from within the Amplifi app vary from 97.2/96 to 225.6/105.

The bandwidth test from within the app isn't really reliable. I'm not sure what they're hitting but I can never get even close to my actual speeds via this test. You must find another test (Ookla or some other). Note that the far majority of Ookla servers aren't going to be able to max out your connection either.

Before you get too crazy, do this:

1. Plug your computer straight into the Verizon box & do an Ookla speed test. When you find a server that can get ~900mbps, note which server it is. It's important to test against the same server.
    2. Plug your AmpliFi box back in (with Hardware NAT enabled) and do the exact same test again with the same server from the same computer.

Do this to make sure you see a drastically different bandwidth. Otherwise, you might be chasing ghosts that don't exist!

Looks like your connection to AmpliFi was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.