Using multiple AmplifiHDs to improve WiFi on an Edgerouter X backed network

• Hello, I'm thinking about buying 2 (maybe 3) Amplifi HDs to deal with the poor wifi coverage in my apartment and I'd appreciate the insight of you folks who are familiar with setups. Existing setup for me is cable internet (Ireland: Virgin Media 360) with the ISP supplied modem in bridge mode connected to an EdgeRouter X (it's the DHCP server) and an Apple Time Capsule operating as an AP (which replaced an Asus RT-N66 for better coverage). Lots of devices wired in using switches in the same room as the Edgerouter so that works very well. In the area (main bedroom) where WiFi coverage is poor (which is odd given the place is small but you'll have that) I need at least 1 wired connection - currently I'm using powerline adapters which are meh.

So I'm thinking at least 2 Amplifi HDs - one replacing the Apple Time Capsule (presumably operating in bridge mode as I'm thinking I'd leave the Edgerouter doing it's stellar job) and the second providing better WiFi and ethernet in the bedroom. Potentially a 3rd one could go inbetween to improve the mesh network. I'm ok not having a guest network - is there anything else to worry about losing by having the "main" AmpliFi HD operating in bridge mode?

• @james-gallagher Thank you for the details scenario and description! I will offer my input but encourage other users who have similar use cases to share as well. Leaving the EdgeRouter X as your DHCP server and placing AmpliFi (AFI-R) into bridge mode is acceptable, in fact a lot of users do this for the more in-depth QoS features that the EdgeRouter offers. When you place the AFI-R in bridge mode you will lose most of the Family tab settings, which included device profiles, pausing devices and guest network. Also, all port forwarding rules and other settings will need to be configured on the EdgeRouter since the AFI-R is not the primary anymore.

In regards to placement and quantity of devices, that entirely depends on your environment. The lease amount of "Hops" the better, so if you can manage decent full signal across your home with 2 AFI-R's, then I would stick with that for performance reasons. Or if you can hardwire in the 2nd AFI-R, take advantage of the Ethernet Backbone feature and eliminate all hops! Regardless of a wireless or wired connection, the 2nd AFI-R will have live LAN ports.

Hope this helps!

Looks like your connection to AmpliFi was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.