Difference between Amplifi HD and airCube

• I'm considering purchasing Amplifi HD for wifi would like to know what is the difference between Amplifi HD and airCube AC. They look quite similar to me? Is airCube a discontinued product? Which would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

• @franc-kmet the airCube is a home Wi-Fi access point designed to interoperate with airMAX, so it's requires other equipment in conjunction with it because it is not a router.

• I already have a router I received from my ISP. As I explained in introduction post, I cannot use wifi because it interferes with my wireless keyboard. My plan is to buy additional hardware for wifi to connect to the router I already have via Ethernet cable. Don't both operate that way?

• @franc-kmet I honestly do not know if that is going to a solution to your wireless keyboard issue or not since I don't work directly with any airMAX equipment. But what I can share is that it will require the UMNS controller to configure and manage, the ACB-AC will be the comparable unit with 2.4GHZ and 5GHz (ACB-ISP is only 2.4 GHz and will require 24V PoE to power) and it has a 2x2 antenna. So there are a few difference.
    They do not operate in the same way since the airCube is a simple AP vs. AmpliFi being a router, but you do already have your ISP provided router.

I wish I could be more help, I would recommend reaching out on the UBNT community for more information about using this equipment. https://community.ubnt.com/airmax

• UBNT-Brett, don't worry, you have already been more than helpful with your answers. I just would like to know one last thing:
    Would Amplifi or Aircube work, if I also purchase Edgerouter X. The network would loook like in the picture below.

0_1555009125190_Local2.png

I would like to connect Amplifi HD or Aircube as shown it this video on youtube:

(Skip to 2:40). This means that Amplifi HD or AirCube would work in "Bridge mode" if I understand things correctly.

Thanks again.

• @franc-kmet Yes it would work, in fact many customers use the Edgerouter X in conjunction with AmpliFi because of its more advanced QoS features. You will need to place AmpliFi or the airCube into bridge mode (Although I believe the airCube is in bride mode by default), as well as the ISP router and just let the Edgerouter handle all the traffic.

• I have limited access to my ISP router. All I can do is enable wireless (SSID name, password, SSID broadcast and channel) or disable wireless and nothing more. I can't even access ISP router directly, for example by going to "http://192.168.1.1" and must manage wireless options by going through service webpages on my ISP website.

My only solution is to disable wireless on my ISP router to avoid interference with my keyboard, buying some hardware for wireless and hoping I don't have any interference problems again. I think I have three possible options:

1. Buying a wireless router, connecting it to the ISP router and manage wifi on my own wireless router.
    2. Buying Edgerouter and AirCube or Ampili HD, connecting Edgerouter to ISP router then connecting AirCube or Amplifi HD to Edgerouter and manage wifi using Ubiquiti software.
    3. Buying AirCube or Amplifi HD and connecting it to the ISP router and manage wifi using Ubiquiti software.

The third option is my favorite, because it is simple and I only need wifi for my phone and printer. I guess it would work for other devices like tablets or smart TVs as well, but I currently don't own them. That's why I asked what is the difference between the two products.

• @franc-kmet I think you are correct with thinking option 3 is the best route. No need to buy excess equipment if you don't need it.

• So disable the wireless on your ISP modem/router
    • Install and configure AmpliFi HD or airCube and place into bridge mode (Since you cannot disable DHCP functionality in your ISP router)
    • Test connectivity with your wireless keyboard

• Actually I placed an order an purchased Edgerouter X and AirCube AC, because after some research and thought I figured out that AirCube AC is not enough. The problem again is my ISP router which does not have DHCP and I cannot assign fixed IP addresses to my devices. This makes my wireless printing difficult if not impossible.

• @franc-kmet said in Difference between Amplifi HD and airCube:

ISP router which does not have DHCP and I cannot assign fixed IP addresses to my devices

To be honest, that is a really terrible router! Are you sure you cannot just replace it with a different commercial modem/router and kick that crappy equipment to the curb? That really sounds like the best solution to me. This is a lot of work to accommodate your ISP's crappy hardware!

• The router is or could be good in its original state at least judging from the manufacturer page. It is an Iskratel Innbox F60. Unfortunately my ISP uses a modified verson which only allows users to access wifi settings. I can't even access ISP router directly, for example by going to "http://192.168.1.1" and must manage wireless options by going through service webpages on my ISP website. I must use this router by contract because my ISP also manages phone line through this router.

• @shane-milton said:

Are you sure you cannot just replace it with a different commercial modem/router and kick that crappy equipment to the curb?

In many locations large condominium/apartment buildings have fixed internet providers, so yep, your only choice is to use their “crappy” router which is customized with locked firmware
    Otherwise you have to use a cellular ISP which have their own router & latency challenges

• Every time I've moved, I've made sure I understood the ISP situation before moving. We walked away from buying a house we liked because their only broadband provider was Comcast. No thanks!

• @shane-milton - the last 2 apartment buildings I was in in Japan had fixed single ISP fiber service to the building with hard locked routers
    You can either use their router, double NAT (if you install a 2nd router and don't put the 2nd router in bridge mode), or go with a cellular provider
    MAC spoofing and all that is not an option
    Most condominiums there also start with fixed fiber to the buildings on a 5 year lockout with one ISP
    It's up to the building HOA to break the lockout or renew

Similar scenarios in France and Germany, especially if they are providing IPTV = use their routers or double NAT (if you install a 2nd router and don't put the 2nd router in bridge mode)

And yes, I also thoroughly understand the ISP situation before moving to any location...and I even have Comcast in the USA

• @derek-saville That's no fun! 😞

Looks like your connection to AmpliFi was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.