Positioning of Router in Relation to Mesh Points

• Hi,

My phone line and Master socket are on the top floor of my house, which has three floors. This means it is only practical at the moment to put the router on the top floor and the mesh points on each floor underneath. Does this work effectively, or does the router have to be positioned below the other mesh points?

Thanks

• @alfie-gamester should work fine my router is underneath the mesh points and I get amazing signal and preformace better than I expected.

• @edward-dolezal thanks but that’s the opposite of what I’ve described and the standard way of doing it

• @alfie-gamester should be fine as long as it's receiving a strong signal

• Thanks Edward. Anyone know the answer to this based on experience or product knowledge?

• @alfie-gamester That placement will work. The one signal/performance issue you may face is on the bottom floor because at that Meshpoint you will be at your 2nd "Hop" and degradation will increase after each hop. One side note, if your house doesn't require all 3 devices, you might get better performance with just the router and one Meshpoint, but speed test and check for dead zones to truly know what your house needs.

• @alfie-gamester - as @UBNT-Brett said

if your house doesn't require all 3 devices, you might get better performance with just the router and one Meshpoint

You might consider purchasing 2 standalone HD routers to form your mesh instead of a mesh system with one router and 2 MeshPoints

I personally would recommend buying one HD router first and then checking the WiFi throughout the home

Then consider what additional mesh points you might need to cover any dead spots

In my experience HD’s are also better at going through floors, but it is impossible to predict because the construction and environment affect WiFi performance differently in every situation

You will also need to experiment with the mesh point placement on the lower floors having more horizontal separation - if using MeshPoints from a kit system then you can try to aim them back up at the main router

• Thanks all. This is interesting. I’ve actually already bought the pack with a mesh router and two mesh points. Are you saying you can use additional mesh routers instead of mesh points? If making a mesh of multiple routers, can you make use of the switch ports on each one for wired devices? If so, I wish I had known!

• Hi @alfie-gamester - yes, standalone HD routers can be added to an existing mesh network as additional mesh points with access to the 4 switched LAN ports on the network

Please note that only standalone units can be added to a mesh - you cannot combine two system kits together

• @derek-saville said in Positioning of Router in Relation to Mesh Points:

Please note that only standalone units can be added to a mesh - you cannot combine two system kits together

@Alfie-Gamester,
    This is correct. But you can add a stand-alone router to a kit as long as the stand-alone router is used as a mesh node. So you do have a few options but if a kit is part of your solution, your kit's router must be used as the head of your system and only one kit may be used.

I suspect one of your best options is to return the kit and buy two stand-alone routers. With this, I suspect the ideal placement would be to have your upstairs unit somewhat centrally-located but offset towards one end/corner of your home and the second unit centrally-located but offset towards the opposite end/corner of your home (don't over-think this too much, just err towards the middle of your home instead of the outside walls of your home). The ultimate ideal solution would be two stand-alone routers with one on your top floor and the second on your bottom floor with an ethernet cable connecting the two. But if you cannot run that ethernet cable to the bottom floor, then moving the bottom one to your middle floor would be best.

Looks like your connection to AmpliFi was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.