Ethernet Backhaul Question

• One of the reasons I switched to a mesh network (from UniFi APs) is that my house (12,000 sqft and 3 stories) is wired with very long Cat5 cable runs, and having recently switched to FIOS Gigabit, I was giving up a lot of the performance we are paying for. Rewiring is an unattractive option because it would cost several thousand dollars (have to rip open a few walls and one ceiling).

Does it make sense, where possible, to run ethernet cables to some of my AmpliFi Routers used as mesh points to take advantage of ethernet backhaul, even though it will be over these long Cat5 runs? If some of the RAMPs have ethernet connections to the main router but others do not, will there nevertheless be a benefit? Currently I have one main router, 5 RAMPs and 3 MPs. I could hard wire 2 or 3 of the RAMPs.

Thanks.

• @louis-feldman It absolutely matters and should help greatly with your setup. Every RAMP you have using ethernet backhaul reduces the overall hop count. So lets say one of your wireless mesh points or wireless RAMPS connect to a hardwired RAMP, there are zero prior hops involved that could degrade the performance.

• I was running my Mesh with one HD unit acting as router, a further 2 HD units acting as mesh points and one plug in node point all over wifi. Performance was OK but I have quite a large house and wanted to make improvements.
    Since running a 30m ethernet run to one unit and a 60m run to the other, it only leaves one plug in unit with a wifi connection and the performance has been amazing. As previously said less hops and less wifi load.
    I also run 1gig fibre service and get maximum out of the additional ethernet points around the house now thanks to the port on the HD units

• @ubnt-brett
    Brett, I am assuming that Ethernet Backhaul can be to a multi-port switch so long as the Router(s), Instant(s) etc are on the same L2 network?

• @nolan-barrios That is correct!

• Banned
    This post is deleted!

Looks like your connection to AmpliFi was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.