Will this setup work?

• Hi!

I have a Fritzbox 7490 on the first floor (it's WIFI will NOT be used at all!) and I want to set up the WIFI with the following 4 devices (which, as a team, will replace the WIFI of the Fritzbox):

First floor

1 x Amplifi AFi-R
    1 x Amplifi AFI-P-HD

Second floor

1 x Amplifi AFi-R
    1 x Amplifi AFI-P-HD

Both AFi-R will be connected via their WAN port to LAN port 1 & 2 of the Fritzbox
    Each AFi-R will get one AFI-P-HD on their belonging floor to get maximum coverage

I want to use both AFi-R as Access Points.

Questions:

1. The AFi-R on the first floor needs to be in bridged mode, correct? Note: The Fritzbox will still act as the router, I want the AFi-R only to provide the WIFI
    2. The AFi-R on the second floor needs to be switched to Ethernet Backhaul (Setting: [x] Ethernet Backbone), correct?
    3. If both 1 & 2 are true, is it correct to connect the AFi-R on the second floor to the Fritzbox LAN port or should it be attached to one of the LAN ports of the AFi-R on the first floor?
    4. After adding the AFi-R on the second floor (first wirelessly, than via cable) like in this tutorial:
      https://help.amplifi.com/hc/en-us/articles/115006826048-How-to-Enable-Ethernet-Wired-Backhaul
      I can just use the AFi-R's (first floor) WIFI to connect via the android app and add both of the AFI-P-HD
      to the network or will I need to bind them separately to their AFi-R on their corresponding
      floor? If the latter should be true, how will this be accomplished (or in other words: are the P-HDs intelligent enought that they know that their nearest router are the ones to connect / communicate with)?

Thanks for any hints!

• Hi @jeraldine-walter - did you purchase one kit and one standalone router? Or 2 standalone routers and 2 standalone mesh points?
    If you have purchased a kit, then the router from the kit will need to be the one on the 1st floor connected to the Fritz in Bridge mode

1. The AFi-R on the first floor needs to be in bridged mode, correct?

Yes

1. The AFi-R on the second floor needs to be switched to Ethernet Backhaul (Setting: [x] Ethernet Backbone), correct?

Yes

1. If both 1 & 2 are true, is it correct to connect the AFi-R on the second floor to the Fritzbox LAN port or should it be attached to one of the LAN ports of the AFi-R on the first floor?

The WAN port on the 2nd floor AFi-R needs to be connected to a LAN port of the 1st floor AFi-R in order for it to become an Ethernet backhaul mesh point

1. After adding the AFi-R on the second floor...I can just use the AFi-R's (first floor) WIFI to connect via the android app and add both of the AFI-P-HD to the network or will I need to bind them separately to their AFi-R on their corresponding floor?

I always wireless add mesh points to the main router first by activating them in close proximity to the main router and making sure that Bluetooth is active on the mobile device running the app
    Once you confirm they are part of the mesh, then relocate the mesh points to where you ideally want them placed

In your case, I would unplug both mesh points and then first relocate the 1st floor mesh point and confirm it is attaching to the 1st floor router (assuming that is what you want)
    Then unplug the 1st floor mesh point and relocate the 2nd floor mesh point and confirm it is properly attaching to the mesh
    Then plug the 1st floor mesh point back in and confirm again everything is working

1. are the P-HDs intelligent enough that they know that their nearest router are the ones to connect / communicate with?

Since you have Ethernet backhaul between the AFi-R's it really doesn't matter which routers the mesh points attach too - they are logically the same from a performance perspective
    You just don't want a MeshPoint attaching wirelessly to another MeshPoint creating an unnecessary hop

Getting the mesh topology the way you want can sometimes be tricky and the algorithm makes seemingly less than intuitive decisions sometimes
    There are cases where a wireless MeshPoint attaches to a router further away at a lower signal strength because it determines that avoiding a wireless hop will achieve better overall total throughput, but that shouldn't be the case in your setup

Just make sure you are also running the latest 3.0.0 firmware on all of the devices as AmpliFi continues to make improvements

Also note that your mesh topology may adjust over time, so give it a while to sort itself out

You can also play with the timing of powering up mesh points to influence the topology
    For example, you could power up 1st floor AFi-R, then 1st floor AFi-P-HD, then 2nd floor AFi-R, and then lastly 2nd floor AFi-P-HD (if that is what you are trying to go after)

Finally, you may not even need both AFi-P-HD's to get complete WiFi coverage in your place
    Adding unnecessarily extra mesh points can create interference and cause wireless clients to have trouble deciding which access point to connect to
    So test your setup after each mesh point is added and if you see any client issues you might hold back on adding one or both AFi-P-HD's
    Every place is a different WiFi challenge so it is impossible to know for sure what will or will not work until you get into it...

• @derek-saville

Thanks a lot for the provided information! I haven't bought the components yet (but I will tomorrow). I know that the set component mesh points are bound to their router and because of this I'm not buying the set (in the event that the router from the set dies you've wasted a lot of money...) but all 4 components individually. More money to spend but more future proof.

I hope that the two routers are sufficient for both the floors (the building has 11 cm and 28 cm thick stone walls) but if that's not the case they'll get a mesh point to extend the WIFI.
    Both routers are placed in the center of each floor. The house has a terrace on the left side (first floor) and I need to see if the router is capable to reach that far. In all cases (if a mesh point needs to be added), they will be placed on opposite directions on their floors (first floor: left side of the house, second floor: right side), so there won't be any daisy chaining "danger".

I've seen that v3.x is out (and it provides a guest network even in bridged mode!) and the first thing I'll do is to update their firmware 🙂

Thanks again Derek!

• Sounds good @jeraldine-walter - FWIW the only other suggestion I would make is that since you haven't purchased the components yet, start with just the 2 AFi-R's first and see how well it meets your needs

Then depending on if and where you need additional WiFi coverage, consider a 3rd AFi-R router as wireless mesh point (RAMP) instead of one or two AFi-P-HD's

One AFi-R usually costs less than two AFi-P-HD's and provides better performance, and in my experience, better WiFi signal coverage

But you need to see how the first two routers are working in your environment first before making a judgement call

• @derek-saville said in Will this setup work?:

Then depending on if and where you need additional WiFi coverage, consider a 3rd AFi-R router as wireless mesh point (RAMP) instead of one or two AFi-P-HD's

Thanks Derek! The router is only 25 € more than a mesh point (even if I have to buy two, it's still only 50...) so that will not be an issue. I'll take them into account instead of the mesh-points if it's necessary.

Looks like your connection to AmpliFi was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.