Setting up Amplifi HD with AT&T Fiber (Slow speeds over WiFi, constant disconnecting)

• I just purchased the Amplifi HD to set up with AT&T Fiber. I set up the Amplifi using the app and it was an easy process.

However I noticed that once I did this, my WiFi speeds were considerably slower than I was getting just using the wireless modem that AT&T provided. I also dropped connection a lot, so I finally decided to just disconnect the Amplifi for now.

Has anyone else ran into this issue and have you been able to successfully set up the Amplifi with AT&T Fiber? Are there specific settings that need to be used?

The AT&T router from AT&T that I have is model # 5268AC.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

• @troy-broas I wish I had a simple "do this" solution, but with ATT everyone has mixed results and solutions. Here is one thread with configurations that worked for some https://community.amplifi.com/topic/1879/is-nat-automatic-on-the-wan-port/5. There is another link inside that thread that also could be a possible configuration for you.
    Also, if you are using the DMZ feature with ATT, this article may help as well: https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Fiber-Equipment/PACE-11-1-0-531418-DMZ-Issue/m-p/5745153#M7940

• Thanks Brett, I'll take a look.

• Your WiFi speeds will very likely be slower. AT&T's router is actually pretty decent. I don't use it because I just like my own equipment (though I still have to use it in passthrough...until I go through all the hackery trouble to get off of it, which is possible with some routers and software configurations). AmplifiHD is VERY good at a few things.

• Being incredibly simple and quick to set up. I really enjoyed the out of box experience, I've never had a better install/set up experience in my life before for a home network.

• Having incredible coverage. You could use their Unifi line, but those APs are more expensive and you still need router, and the setup is a little more involved (not to mention you'll need ethernet backhaul). The option to switch these from 2.4Ghz/5Ghz from your cell phone is awesome. The APs are not too large or ugly. It just works and any coverage issue you may have had before (with the stock router from AT&T or any other non-mesh single router) will be gone.

That's where it mostly stops. Gigabit internet is really a new world many devices aren't prepared for. You'd really be surprised how few devices will get gigabit speeds. Basically only hard wired devices that have gigabit NIC. Even my Sony smart TV doesn't have gigabit ehternet! It's 100mbps. That means the TV's WiFi is actually faster than its wired connection!

Ok, so for devices with 802.11g/n not a big deal. AmplifiHD is just fine. However, for AC devices, you're going to start to see where it falls short. The AmplifiHD is 3x3 MIMO, so the bandwidth is going to cap out much lower than you would think. Also, the antennas are even less. As a result they are slower, especially with multiple devices connected. You're actually better off with a second AmplifiHD router in AP mode instead of those antennas. Take a look at this if you want to get into the weeds (VERY good read): https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html

If you contrast that with say the ASUS 87U router, a Nighthawk, or any newer high performance routers, you'll see they have 4x4 MIMO (and obviously the Unifi line has more performance for you here too). They have beefier processors and hardware as well. Those will get you 400-500mbps when standing close by. AmplifiHD will get you around 200-300mbps standing close by, which is actually pretty good (just ran a test right now I'm getting 276/239mbps and upstairs off the antenna I'm getting 107/83.8mbps - so you get a sense of the drop off in speed - my wired connections see 960mbps-1.1gbps according to fast.com). The farther you get from the WiFi router, the slower everything gets...and FAST. You really don't need to be far at all, even on the other side of a wall and it deteriorates quickly.

Of course we're not going to get gigabit speeds over WiFi. Around 500mbps is EXTREMELY good and probably the limit with most hardware we have today. You could look for 4x4 MIMO PCIe WiFi cards (ASUS PCE-AC88 AC3100 4x4 802.11AC PCIe Adapter for example) and get better speed...But...Of course you're sticking that into a desktop which you might as well use a wired connection with anyway.

The Unifi AP line would likely yield better results here, but it's a bit more expensive and involved to set up...And at the end of the day, all WiFi is bound to the laws of physics. The signal strength drops fast.

As far as the constant disconnecting? That's very strange. On my AmplifiHD I turned on Hardware NAT and saw a good performance gain. You may want to try that. I assume you're putting the AmplifiHD into the AT&T router since they typically don't allow you to use your own (there's hacks around it, but not for AmplifiHD to my knowledge). Ensure you disable the WiFi radio in your AT&T router and set it to "IP Passthrough." This section should give you a drop down menu where you can select your AmplifiHD. It will then simply hand everything over to your AmplifiHD. There's no need for DMZ, though under the Firewall section of AT&T router settings I have everything off since the other router is handling that. Essentially, you're just trying to get a straight connection to your router (AmplifiHD) and disable all the other fluff on the AT&T one.

Looks like your connection to AmpliFi was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.