Mesh router as a Controller+AP

• related to this suggestion , I am wondering why the mesh router couldn't "simply" act as a controller+AP like on the unifi system and offer QOS and other features.

I wish such system could exist so you don't have to replace the ISP router and just use amplifi to extend your network. Indeed most mainstream french ISPs (and lot of European ISP afaik) have only triple-play offer. Some that were previously offering bridge mode to their modem are removing it. And for those that still offer it, this mode disable the usage of the TV and VOIP features. SO it would make sense to have a true WIFI system that just extend the current network and offer QOS / devices, pause cabaility for a device , guest and multiple SSIDs/vlans.

Maybe ut will be handled by the Unifi Dream Machine, but I really wish to have an update of that gives such feature.

• @benoit-chesneau said in Mesh router as a Controller+AP:

I wish such system could exist so you don't have to replace the ISP router and just use AmpliFi to extend your network.

This article explains how to add AmpliFi to an existing network as an extender, not using bridge mode.
    Scroll to the section How to Add an AmpliFi Router or AmpliFi HD MeshPoint to a Third Party Router's Network.

• @ui-brett said in Mesh router as a Controller+AP:

This article explains how to add AmpliFi to an existing network as an extender, not using bridge mode.
    Scroll to the section How to Add an AmpliFi Router or AmpliFi HD MeshPoint to a Third Party Router's Network.

Will all mesh points work in collaboration? Also in this setup i have no QOS or Guest network right ?

• @benoit-chesneau Only stand alone products can be configured in this way, not the kits. And multiple AmpliFi units cannot be meshed together using this 3rd party extender mode. In this setup, no QoS or guest network is available.

• @ui-brett looks good. What I had in mind however was more the way APs work on the unifi platform. The router could be used somehow as a simple controller that manage the APs and the guest network or something like it 🙂 Anyway cool stuff...

Looks like your connection to AmpliFi was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.