What does the Amplifi HD Mesh Router do/use to Update its Date/Time Display?

• My Amplifi HD Mesh is setup in bridge mode behind another router (pfsense). Anytime I power cycle/reboot, update the firmware, or have a power outage, I lose the date/time display information. It only shows “----“. I have my pfsense box configured to handle NTP but I’m not sure if this is the issue because wireless devices connected through the Amplifi HD Mesh receive the time updates with this configuration. I’ve tried disabling every firewall rule and only having the allow all rule enabled and still nothing. There have been times where the time and date will just pop up and I have yet to figure out what occurred. The only way that I truly get the date/time display to update is to disconnect the Amplifi HD from the pfsense router and connect it directly to the modem.

Would anyone happen to know what the Amplifi HD is doing (protocol, UPnP, etc.) to update its date/time?

alt text

• @andre-campbell The rule you will need is NTP - UDP port 123

• Is the Amplifi HD hard coded to only except NTP from fixed IP addresses? Say for instance the ones that belong to the following NTP sever pools?:

0.ubnt.pool.ntp.org
    1.ubnt.pool.ntp.org
    2.ubnt.pool.ntp.org
    3.ubnt.pool.ntp.org

Or can it not except NTP from private IP addresses?

My pfsense box is my NTP server but the Amplifi HD doesn't look to except the 192.168.x.x:123 traffic (the unit itself, not wireless devices connected to it). All my devices connect to the HD are working fine updating. The only way for me to get Amplifi HD to except NTP is to make a firewall rule that allows traffic between it and any destination ip on port 123. After doing some packet capturing, the few ip's I've seen so far look to be part of the pools listed above. I don't understand why it won't except this from my NTP server (192.168.x.x:123).

Thanks again for the response, I look forward to resolving this!

• After updating to firmware 3.1.0, the MAC addresses changed from having f2 in the beginning to f0. I have static ip's setup for each MAC address and in this case that firewall rule I mentioned above needs to be changed in order for the clock to update. No big deal but letting y'all know.
    0_1565241666189_Change - Copy.jpg

• Everything else in the MAC addresses stayed the same except for the first two characters.

• @andre-campbell If you navigate to the about section in the AmpliFi app, you will see that your LAN MAC ID and WAN MAC ID will be different as you described. This should be the same in all firmware versions.

Looks like your connection to AmpliFi was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.