Major Speed issues on AMPLIFI HD
I’ve been having major download speed issues for quite some time. I thought it was the ISP, so have done endless troubleshooting with them. Off the modem, straight to a machine, I get 850-900 Mbps. When it’s connected to my AMPLIFI, I’m lucky to cross 180Mbps in the speed test section of the AMPLIFI app. Third party speed tests run from other places on the network seem to bring 25-30Mbps down and 35Mbps up.
The upload seems fine. I pay for 1000/35. I seem to get 30-35 up regularly. Hoping someone can help!
I’m on Cox Communications if it helps. Really like this router, but may have to get something else if I can’t figure this out.
@chris-perra you can install the Wifiman app, available for iOS and android. The app is using their servers for testing and it’s way more accurate.
@Virgil-Nicolae the speed test in the AMPLIFI app and WiFiman are close.
I think there’s something going on in the last 6 months on my AMPLIFI. I just don’t know what it is. Hoping someone from ubnt can help.
@chris-perra the speed via wifi can vary for a lot of reasons. If you haven’t already done that, please do a speed test via speedtest.net app, with your phone placed directly on top of the Amplifi router. For me, at least, it’s the only time when I get the (almost) max speed of my provider
@virgil-nicolae @Chris-Perra I agree, please test hardwire from AmpliFi as well so we know where the breakdown occurs. If you cannot achieve close to max speed wired, then there is probably something besides wireless interference happening on your network.
@UI-Brett thanks for the response.
Hardwire from the AMPLIFI LAN port gives me 100-110Mbps via speedtest.net. I know the issue isn’t the pipe coming in, because that gives me something I’d expect when paying for gigabit.
It’s gotta be something in the router itself. Is there a way to send logs?
@chris-perra from the app, go to router settings, scroll down, support info
Great. I was able to get the logs and send them into firstname.lastname@example.org. Hopefully that helps.
@chris-perra Thank you for sending those support files. This test points to the speed reduction not being caused by wireless environment issues. We will research and I will report back here with any updates. What firmware version have you tested on?
@ui-brett it was updated last night on 3.1, but has been a problem since 2.7.x.
A Former User last edited by
@chris-perra cox & spectrum related units seem to suffer this same speed issue from the gig plan.
I'm having similar issues on my Comcast gig speed coax provided internet. I thought it was the ISP as well at first. If I test directly from my modem to my laptop via ethernet cable and test to speedtest.net I get
Test 1: 931/41 down/up
Test 2: 890/41
If I connect via ethernet cable into the back of the Amplifi router on port 1 to speedtest.net I get
Test 1: 227/41
Test 2: 230/41
If I run an Amplifi performance test from the amplifi app I get:
Test 1: 171/43
Test 2: 164/41
Speedtest.net test using laptop connected to modem via the same ethernet cable the Amplifi uses:
Test 1: 913/41
Test 2: 937/41
Tech support reached out to me after the logs went in and I now have the following ethernet speeds to report.
Test 1: 923/39
Test 2: 932/40
I enabled NAT and connected my computer via ethernet for a few hours to the port and all seems good. Thank you Amplifi.
@johnny-mo could you please try ran the tests, with your Amplify router set in Bridge mode (basically let your Comcast do the router/DCHP job) and post back some feedback/results?
@johnny-mo Nevertheless, if you have the possibility, check/replace your ETH cables (both, modem->Amplify and Amplify->device).
I have had discovered, once, a faulty cable was the problem that has been giving me some problems
@virgil-nicolae I updated my results using the same ethernet cable the Amplifi uses.
@virgil-nicolae Please show me where I can disable the wireless mode on the Amplifi and I will be happy to put the unit into bridge mode. Otherwise I believe I would have to wipe out my network so that I could ensure that it was my laptop connecting to the ISP (I get one connection) and not one of the other devices on my network. I believe if I switch network names to work around this I will lose all of my static IP's I've set-up. I'm open to ideas if you have any. I also sent in a log file.
@johnny-mo open the Amplifi app, select the router, settings, internet, scroll down to bottom, enable Bridge.
@johnny-mo Enabling Bridge mode disables DHCP authority and other settings, but does not disable the wireless broadcasts. Currently there are not settings for disabling wireless broadcasts in AmpliFi.
@ui-brett Let me know if you need any more logs.
Edit: See my update to my original post. All is solved.