Teleport VPN with Windows devices

• This post is deleted!

• Where is the response from Amplifi? If there’s no app in works for windows or Mac to be released soon I’ll probably sell the router. Price point vs features is lackluster at the moment.

• please, i need this feature desperately.

any alternative until this is being implemented/build?

• Staying at a vrbo and using free wifi and was looking for this feature. sadpanda.jpg

• Add my vote for this feature!! Having the ability to connect from Windows is extremely important to me.

• Here's just another signup for vote.

• Add my vote to for this feature! Need this badly!

• Just ordered my second Amplifi HD mesh kit for our vacation home and I really like it quite a bit. I will have to agree though that the lack of a direct teleport vpn client for Windows and Mac does seem like a feature oversight that baffles the mind a bit. I find the feature sets in virtually all other areas to be excellent, strangely the teleport implementation seems only half baked. Works great on a mobile OS, but nothing for a desktop / laptop OS??? Chalk me up for another vote for a Windows and Mac (I use / have both) teleport vpn client. Hell charge for it if you must (I would pay for it), but make me a pathway there Please and Thank You!

• A Windows client is an absolute necessity! Why is this not already available? Adding my vote as well!

• Windows client is a necessity. The vpn was a big selling point to justify the price of these things

• please add my vote as well.

• How come we still don't have access to this feature? Mobile VPN is great but I'd like to connect my laptop to my home network when abroad. Please add a desktop app... and count my vote.

• I too am putting my vote in for this feature though in all honesty... we ideally shouldn't have to be asking for an app, it should be a standard function in your high end products like the alien, its the simplest of things to setup a VPN to connect to remotely on a router and then in windows.
    I am a professional that travels a lot and need to be able to access my local internet network and storage on a remote PC/Mac.
    Your hardware solution of the teleport wall plug is well.... how do I put this politely. Rubbish.. its not a proper solution. No one wants to carry that on them just to connect to their home network when all you have to do is provide either the ability to create the VPN on the device itself or the app.
    Dont get me wrong, I really do like your products for its simplicity and elegant design but this is one of those features that... could potentially lead your ubiquity supporters (including myself, though I am only one) to seek other avenues (Dlink, Netgear) etc.

• PLEASE ADD THIS!! I have just recently purchased two separate Aliens, one for my home & my parents home. The Teleport app works great; however, I find myself virtually never needing this access via my mobile devices. It makes 100% more sense to have started with the app for Windows/MacOS/Linux long before mobile products. Seems like a backwards logic to me..

+1 feature request!! I would rank this at the highest priority!

Thanks,

Matt

• I also have this equipment and love it but the major downfall is the lack of VPN support for Windows or Mac Clients. I never need to use it from my mobile device. It just simply isn't necessary. Please add Windows functionality for the VPN ASAP. I was considering buying another one of these setups but am really considering changing vendors.

• I am amazed by the number of folks who apparently did not research the feature set of an expensive product prior to purchase and are subsequently disappointed by the lack of what they consider to be an essential feature.

I don't expect to be able to set static routes, have support for VPN clients not listed in the spec sheet, or to be able to use my router as a blender. There are more expensive, fuller featured products in the marketplace; I chose not to purchase them. I purchased my AmpliFi product based on the features it offered at the time of purchase. While I am unlikely to buy another product from AmpliFi, the only significant negative I've experienced is the hard locking of mesh points to the router since I bought a kit. I do feel that that limitation was not well documented back when I purchased the product.

This post is not intended to start a flame war, just to suggest that we all need to carefully think out the feature set we need in a product, then carefully research each candidate product to find the one that most closely supports the feature set we want/need.

• @Matthew-Leeds Conversely, I am amazed by the number of people who feel compelled to respond assuming they have all the answers and background of the previous poster's situation. I love the tried and true, "just search the forum, gawd.." or the always famous, "RTFM."

I came from their UniFi line and, though I thoroughly enjoyed the tech, they had a massive issue with wireless uplinks and keeping consistent connections.. This, and the fact the tech was lagging behind the market/industry, I chose to try their consumer line..

While I see the beauty of the Teleport app, they DID used to have a physical Teleport device that would indeed work with computers if you were so inclined..

I simply was voicing my opinion that EOL'ing that and not developing a very simple VPN for Windows/MacOS seems like an epic waste of resources (by developing the mobile app first). I'm sure if someone did a poll on which they would rather see brought to market first (assuming neither were available), the Windows/MacOS would have crushed the need for an app on your iPhone!

• I am amazed by the number of people who feel compelled to respond assuming they have all the answers

Hi @vmattprice - are you referring to opinions like...

"It makes 100% more sense to have started with the app for Windows/MacOS/Linux long before mobile products. Seems like a backwards logic to me."
    &
    "...not developing a very simple VPN for Windows/MacOS seems like an epic waste of resources (by developing the mobile app first). I'm sure if someone did a poll on which they would rather see brought to market first (assuming neither were available), the Windows/MacOS would have crushed the need for an app on your iPhone!"

Conversely, the Hardware Teleport Kickstarter experiment has a well understood history (positives and failures), AmpliFi has defined their intended target consumers, the HW Teleport was replaced by both the Mobile App and the Router-to-Router capability, and while they do not directly replicate the HW Teleport's feature set, they do fix some of the issues and problems that the HW Teleport had while adding other capabilities the HW Teleport lacked, so it would appear to be a judgement call on the part of AmpliFi making 100% logical sense considering how their backend cloud service works and how they wanted to move their product range forward at the time

Myself and others I know use Teleport every single day and I have never once found the lack of Windows/MacOS/Linux solution to be a problem

On the contrary, having a Windows/MacOS/Linux client app will not change the limitations imposed by the current Teleport Mobile App or Router-to-Router implementation, so it still will never be a true replacement for the HW Teleport anyways

While I occasionally miss being able to Teleport a RAMP to a remote location, the improvements that came with the mobile app and R2R allowed me to retire the HW Teleports I previously had in use and never look back

There are other better solutions out there that can directly replace the HW Teleport and/or provide more robust and secure VPN access for Windows/MacOS/Linux clients to a remote site than the HW Teleport is capable of

AmpliFi's current Teleporting can also be a good supplement to those solutions, which is why I haven't abandoned the AmpliFi range entirely yet

And there are other feature requests that could 'crush' a Windows/MacOS/Linux client Teleport app if you expand your poll beyond the narrow scope of remote VPN access

• The app may not be required anymore for Windows.
    Windows 11 allows for android apps to be installed.. so theoretically could you not just install the android app (microsoft store -> through amazon app store) when windows 11 enables the feature?
    Just a thought and I may decide to get this product if in fact someone can confirm if this will work.

• +1 for Linux/Mac/PC VPN support needed. Currently having to investigate a cheap PFSense setup with my Alien in bridge mode... not what we should be seeing for a ≈$400 router. This thing should practically have a Firewalla Blue built into it for this price.