Brand new Instant cant connect to Amplifi base

• Hi,
    I just bought an Instant to add to my current Amplifi base + 2 meshpoint system. I can get the Instant peered with the Amplifi base but only when it is under 12 inches away. moving it a few feet away (still line of site) drops the signal down to 80%. Moving to the next room over causes the Instant to completely lose signal and show "Connecting" continuously.

I have factory reset a few times and have followed the steps here: https://help.amplifi.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017077234-Troubleshooting-Device-Can-t-See-or-Connect-to-Network

A few additional points:

• I was able to get this peered yesterday from this other room, but after updating from 2.9 factory default to 3.whatever i seem to be having this problem. Update may or not be related, but wanted to point it out just in case.
    • I can get wifi on my android, iphone and laptop in this room with almost full signal to the Amplifi base.
    • after factory resets, i can only see the Instant's default SSID if my phone is inches from the device.

Generally, this thing is behaving like the wifi antenna is totally borked.

Help please!
    Bryan

• @bryan-meissner said in Brand new Instant cant connect to Amplifi base:

Generally, this thing is behaving like the wifi antenna is totally borked.

That's what it sounds like to me too. Do your devices connected to the network behavior in a similar fashion when you changed from FW 2.9.5 to 3.1.0? Or just the new AmpliFi Instant?

• Hey Brett,
    I updated the HD when 3.1 first came out and everything else in the house is and has been working fine. It is only this brand new Instant that is behaving badly like this.

Looks like your connection to AmpliFi was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.