AmpliFi HD and adding more routers

• My home is double story and I have the main internet connect on the upper floor with the router. Each room on that floor then has its own mesh point

I am a little concerned about the ground floors wifi speeds so would like to add an additional router on the ground floor and hardwire it to the router on the upper floor. I would then like to connect the mesh points on the lower floor to the router on the lower floor

Would that work?

Essentially I want 8 mesh points to cover my home, 4 on each floor with their own router and wired backhaul between the 2 routers

• Wow how big is your house? i can tell you what i'm running.
    4 Amplifi HD Routers + 1 mesh point. All wired backhaul.

3 of the Amplifi cover my entire house which is a Bungalow (ranch style) home with a basement. 2700 sq ft main floor, 2800sq ft basement.

I added the 4th Amplifi router to the backyard to cover my pool area and all of my backyard. This Amplifi is never on, unless we are enjoying ourselves in the backyard.

I added 1 mesh point to cover the garage area all the way down to my driveway (i have Ring cameras here that benefit from the better signal, even though they were working fine without the mesh point)

So my property now has full coverage which about 65ft x 280ft.

Hope that helps.

• Thanks for the info, here everything is concrete so very dense and not good for wifi.

House is about 1300 sq feet per level however I have a lot of streaming devices and a 100TB NAS so 5ghz is required hence the multitude of mesh points

So, easy enough to have a router on each level then 4 mesh points for each router? How do I ensure the meshpoints connect to the correct router or do I simply set one floor up, switch it off then setup the other floor and power everything up together?

To be honest the power of these mesh points is not brilliant. I had a Netgear Orbi system before and that was incredible. Pity it is so ugly

• well our homes have a concrete foundation, but if you have concrete walls and the floor in between the two levels, that's pretty nuts.

So just to give you an idea of what we run. We are a family of 4, and my kids stream all the time, actually most of us do. When we are not home, there are ~55 devices always connected, when we are home that can increase to 60+ devices always connected. When absolutely everything is on, then i have about 85-90 devices.

What i would recommend you start with are two Amplifi Routers with a wired backhaul and work out from there. Maybe one in each floor or maybe one each side. I'm not a big fan of running a wireless meshpoint, unless it's the only option. I'd rather that 5ghz or 2.4ghz band not be used as a backhaul.

The 3 routers are all in my basement (i have Ethernet outlets in all of my rooms). So my Amplifi AP feed other devices like my NAS, PS4, HTPC, Computers throughout the house through ethernet. Most of my devices are light switches, alexa products, IoT.

The setup is quite simple, if you are running the mesh points. You setup your Amplifi, then after everything is setup, you plug in your mesh points. After a minute+ the mesh points will show up, you connect to it through the app and name them. Very similar way if you hardwire, but i don't remember how, but its super simple.

I was running a Aimesh GT11000AX + AC5300 + AC68 and to be honest, it was garbage. My Amplifi system has been running super smooth and 4k streaming across multiple devices has had zero issues.

• Yeah, we're 100% cast concrete and concrete brick. Maximum is about 25-30 devices connected simultaneously

I cannot run ethernet apart from the services conduit between floors in the center of the house so I am pretty limited. Essentially I will have a router in the center of the house and a mesh point in each of the 4 corners on each floor

We live in the middle east now but we are from South Africa. Our home there had a full Ubiquiti Unifi system with UAP-AC-LR AP's, 24 port PoE switch, USG Pro and ethernet in all the rooms. Was easy to run cabling as we renovated quite extensively so made allowance when we did.

Thank you for all the info, much appreciated

• Good luck mark, but putting 4 MP at each corner is a waste, you'll probably feed more signal outside of the house then in 🙂

• @tommy-lee

Thanks, it is an experiment

When I said 4 corners I meant the 4 rooms in equal distance between the router and external walls.

Similar to the below

0_1567791970999_Untitled.png

• @mark-spencer If you have the time and patients to test and find the perfect configuration for your home, I would recommend starting small and building upon your network based on dead zones, because building material penetration is going to vary from house to house. You said main connection is in the top floor, and you can hardwire a second AFI-R into the basement using ethernet backhaul. I would start there and survey your property. Primarily, use AFI-R's with ethernet backhaul to avoid all wireless hops because that is where you will see a difference in performance.

I personally have 2,000 Sq ft home that expands to 3 floors and one AFI-R in the basement (corner room) will cover my entire house with the only limitation being my outdoors because of the brick materials for my external walls. My front yard i get signal to the end of my driveway, but my backyard I barely cover my patio even though they are roughly the same distance, so it's hard to say until its installed and tested.

• @ui-brett

Thanks but as stated I already have the HD kit, router + 2 mesh points and the coverage is average at best

For instance, if you look at my diagram consider that the upper level and only the bottom 2 mesh points are in place and that is the front of the house. When I am at ground level at the back of the house I have no wifi signal or it is so weak I have no internet access. Then, If I move one mesh point to the back of the house in the upper bedroom to the right, the bottom front right room has little to no signal.

This is why I want to completely cover the entire house properly by putting a router on each floor and a mesh point in each room, literally

Wireless surveys are generally pretty useless. Real world scenarios are better unless of course you can afford the fancy equipment the pro's use.

0_1567793568616_Untitled1.png

• @mark-spencer Thank you for the detailed explanation. The reason I suggested starting with two wired AmpliFi devices for mesh points (AFI-R) is because each wireless hop will degrade the signal, and if you have the ability to wire a point on the top level and basement you may see a HUGE difference from that alone. Just trying to prevent you from spending more than needed.

• @ui-brett Thanks Brett, I will get another router downstairs and maybe swap mesh points around as well. There are areas of my house where a faster connection is important so it will take some fine tuning.

Looks like your connection to AmpliFi was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.