Hardware Versions

• I bought my HD kit off of eBay, 1 router and 2 meshpoints.

Hardware versions as follows

Router - v19
    Mesh Points - v20

I purchased another 2 mesh points off of Amazon UK which are v1.

What is the difference between the various hardware versions and does it matter in performance, features etc?

Also, is there a way to see backhaul speeds between the router and the mesh point?

• So far my observation is that the original kit mesh points are way better than the addons.

I simply swapped them out in my kids room. v20 kit mesh point 84% backhaul signal. v1 addon mesh point 48%. Each given one hour to stabilise with no attached devices.

That is pretty poor unless I am missing something?

802.11v BSS Transition Management (Direct stations to better AP) barely works if it does at all.

Band Steering is another thing that doesn't work very well either.

I am starting to regret my decision to go AmpliFi. The UniFi stuff is incredible, I have it at my home in SA and at multiple customers businesses but AmpliFi just doesn't seem to be such a great idea.

• @mark-spencer I do not have a concrete answer on this, but to my knowledge the version of the hardware has something to do with its production date (I know that we have not made over 20 changes to the hardware since its launch).

But the behavior you are seeing when you swapped locations with the mesh points is bizarre. You did state that you are using US versions and UK versions? I would recommend doing a scan of your environment and manually setting the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels on all of your devices to ensure there is no compatibility issues because of any region locks.

Band steering is also up to the devices to decide based on dBm, so if you are wanting a specific band to be used, I highly recommend generating an additional SSID to guarantee the connection.

UniFi is incredible! AmpliFi and UniFi are two completely different beasts and the features of UniFi will be more in-depth and encompassing but that's because it's designed for the network engineer who understands the complex settings and options, whereas AmpliFi is targeted to our home users who want amazing performance with an extremely simplistic plug and play experience.

• Thanks @UI-Brett

Production date would be a bit strange as the kit was 2nd hand and the mesh points were brand new even though the version numbers depict the other way around, be that as it may I do find the behaviour rather odd.

I have already set 20/40MHz channel 9 on 2G and 80MHz channel 149 on 5G which is where I have always found my best results in the past.

I have gone for the individual 5G band however I find it even more odd that you need to configure it per router/mesh where as your main SSID is system wide. It's supposed to be simple plug and play right? There is a note of sarcasm there 🙂

I would have gone UniFi all the way in fact I have a switch, USG Pro and 5 AC Lite AP's on my desk however I cannot run cables so it is a bit of a loss.

• @mark-spencer said in Hardware Versions:

you need to configure it per router/mesh where as your main SSID is system wide

The older design to keep it "Simplistic" was when you generated an additional SSID it created 5 different SSID's. Sometimes sacrificing simplicity for functionality is a must. But yes, I did sense the sarcasm 😉 .

During your testing were you seeing the speed loss from both stand alone meshpoints you purchased or just one of them? Also, are all devices running the same firmware?

• @ui-brett All on the same firmware, I have tried 2.9.5, 3.1.0 and 3.1.1rc3 across all. Lower backhaul signal quality on the standalone mesh points, both of them. I have put them in more line of sight locations and the kit mesh points in locations around corners from the router.

Last night I changed the router from bridged to router mode and this morning things seems better which is strange because everything I have read points to bridged mode giving better throughput. I will have to run more tests.

/Edit

Scratch that, Router mode affects my network latency to the point I cannot even connect to my NAS. I started from scratch, put it in Bridge mode and now it is much better. Not ideal but if this is how it must be then so be it. Fortunately there is a fiber ONT that can handle DHCP otherwise I would be in a mess.

I think I am expecting the system to do more than it actually does, faster roaming, faster band steering, faster throughput etc.

Is there anyway to check backhaul speeds and is there a radiation diagram somewhere? I cannot seem to find it on the 'net.

• This post is deleted!

• @mark-spencer said in Hardware Versions:

Is there anyway to check backhaul speeds and is there a radiation diagram somewhere? I cannot seem to find it on the 'net.

There isn't a setting to check the backhaul speeds, but I can add this to our feature request list if you would like.

• @ui-brett I would like that please as well as a radiation diagram like the rest of the Ubiquiti products have. It would help greatly with mesh point positioning and antennae direction

• The firmware 3.1.1 that was just released appears to have much better roaming and "direct stations to better AP" ability

Looks like your connection to AmpliFi was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.