When does band steering take place?

• I live in a town home. I have two mesh routers upstairs and downstairs, Ethernet backhaul linked, one mesh point in the living room on the other side of the wall from my Front door, and one out in the garage which is detached and about 100-150 feet away, signal is degraded further when the door is closed, naturally.

I have an August Doorbell Cam (power wired, so naturally right next to the front door) that had been chronically losing its network connection, which renders everything it can do besides be a physical doorbell, worthless. August support is blaming band / node steering.

As far as I’ve been able to measure, the 2.4Ghz signal from the garage mesh hop is maybe 60% at best (5Ghz is sub 35%). However, all three other base stations the August Cam could connect to should be 90% or better. Not to mention the one on the other side of the wall that should always be the strongest no matter what.

1. When does band / node steering take effect even if the device tries to connect to one specific station?
    2. Can I audit a device’s connection history, including to what node?

• I think I've noticed it to be near instant some too and abit channel dependant.

• @jason-salaz said in When does band steering take place?:

When does band / node steering take effect even if the device tries to connect to one specific station?

The only way to guarantee a connection is if you have an additional SSID created with that specific band, besides that it is the device itself who makes the final decision.

Can I audit a device’s connection history, including to what node?

Unfortunately no, there is no audit available like this with AmpliFi

Looks like your connection to AmpliFi was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.