Connection issues: bad signal, low speed

• Hey guys, I have my house equipped with Amplifi HD set, one AFI-R, two AFI-P. I have several questions:

1. If i stand next to the AFI-R with my Smartphone and analyze the network with Wifiman, it shows a good signal, but a connection of only 130mbps. Is that not too slow?

2. There are issues with certain PCs in the basement. There is one PC that shows the networks "Amplifi HD" and "Amplifi HD Guest", both with full power. As soon as I connect, the signal drops to two bars, download speed is abysmal then.

3. On another PC, it shows better power for the Amplifi HD Guest Network than for the Amplifi HD Network. How can that be? Both networks come from the same hardware?

4. Is there an option to chose which AFI-R or AFI-P a certain computer should connect to?

• @alex-l said in Connection issues: bad signal, low speed:

If i stand next to the AFI-R with my Smartphone and analyze the network with Wifiman, it shows a good signal, but a connection of only 130mbps. Is that not too slow?

What device are you using to test wirelessly? Also, how many wireless devices are currently on your network?

There are issues with certain PCs in the basement. There is one PC that shows the networks "Amplifi HD" and "Amplifi HD Guest", both with full power. As soon as I connect, the signal drops to two bars, download speed is abysmal then.

What is the connection strength for this PC in the AmpliFi app? Is this devices connecting to the primary router or one of the mesh points?

On another PC, it shows better power for the Amplifi HD Guest Network than for the Amplifi HD Network. How can that be? Both networks come from the same hardware?

I would test this using the AmpliFi app as well as performing a speed test, not just the wireless signal indicator on the computer. PC's will not refresh the wireless list constantly, this could be an indication of the signal variants. This is also why a wireless network will still appear on your computer, even when you have unplugged your router.

Is there an option to chose which AFI-R or AFI-P a certain computer should connect to?

There is, you will need to use the app and create an additional SSID from either the router or mesh point. This will guarantee its connection location as well as the band used. https://help.amplifi.com/hc/en-us/articles/360010201854-Adding-an-Additional-SSID

• Hi Brett and thanks for the prompt reply.

1. I am testing with a Galaxy Note S9 + Wifiman Android App. 8 Devices have been logged in to my best knowledge.

2. How can I see the connection strength of individual clients? I only can see the connection strength from the AFI-Ps and the current transfer rate of individual clients. I do not know where the PC is connected to. How can I see it without adding a dedicated SSID to the AFI-R and each AFI-P as described unter your last reply?

3. Ok

4. Ok, if I do so, I can freely select to which WLAN-SSID (and therefore to which Amplifi-Device) I wnat to connect a certain device to. But is that not disadvantagous when carrying around my Smartphone in the house as it does not connect to the Amplifi device with the strongest signal any more but to the device to which the SSID belongs I connected to?

• @alex-l Thank you for the update. You can view the signal strength by going into the family tab and selecting the individual device, then client details. This will tell you which AP they are connected to as well.

You are correct, for roaming throughout a home it is best if you can connect to the primary network. I would use this as a test to ensure you have placed mesh points in their ideal location.

You will always see greater speeds coming from the primary router vs a mesh point because the signal has to "hop" from the meshpoint back to the router. If you have a mesh point that's too close to the router, your devices could opt to connect to a mesh point where the performance could suffer.

Another test (which is where I would personally start) is test and verify your hardwired speeds are up to par. If wired speeds are lower than expected there could be other settings we need to enable, and if AmpliFi can't generate full wired speeds it could be hindering your wireless speeds.

• @ui-brett It is connected to the AFI-R which is one floor higher, it has a signal strength of 47%, speeds 26/60Mbit/s.

The strange thing about that is that there is a AFI-P 3 meters away from the PC, still the PC connects to the AFI-R. Is there a way to force it into a connection with the AFI-P without assigning SSIDs to the individual Amplifi devices? Shall I try to enable "BSS transition management"? The description of said items looks like it could help but it was disabled by default.

How can I test wired speeds? Do you mean just connecting a Laptop to a LAN Port on the AFI-R and do a LAN-Speedtest?

• @alex-l If the mesh point is right next to the PC, it could be getting the same connections strength and performance that the PC is, which after an additional wireless hop the performance through the mesh point would in fact be slower than the weaker connection to the main router.

You can create an additional SSID on the mesh point and connect directly to that for a test, but I would advice placing the mesh point in a decent mid way point to try and create a more reliable and stronger signal your PC can attach too.

Looks like your connection to AmpliFi was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.