AmpliFi by Ubiquiti Labs Introduces the AmpliFi Alien

• Hi @daniel-osers - the Alien Tech Specs state:

• MIMO - 2.4 GHz: 4x4 5 GHz: 4x4 (low-band) + 8x8 (high band)
    • Speed - 2.4 GHz: 1148 Mbps, 5 GHz: 1733 Mbps (low band)/ 4804 Mbps (high band)
    • Max. Supported Data Rates:
      . 802.11ax (Backbone) - 1148 Mbps + 4804 Mbps
      . 802.11ax (Available to Clients) - 1148 Mbps + 4804 Mbps

Note: the Alien only has a 1 Gbps WAN port
    Note: with only one WiFi6 radio the wireless backhaul bandwidth must be shared with clients (should not be an issue if Uplink MU-MIMO is enabled, but still to be confirmed)

The Orbi AX6000 website states:

• 2.4GHz (1200Mbps) + 5GHz (2400Mbps) for WiFi devices to connect to the Internet
    • 5GHz (2400Mbps) dedicated WiFi link for faster data connections between Orbi Router and Orbi Satellite

Note: the Orbi AX6000 has a 2.5 Gbps WAN port

It might be possible for Netgear to open up the 2nd 5 GHz radio for clients when Ethernet backhaul is utilized, but they don't seem to be advertising it...and maybe they don't feel it is necessary if the WAN port is limited to 2.5 Gbps anyways?

PS - the Netgear in kit form doesn’t appear to have a WAN port on the satellite mesh point, and would be limited to 1 Gbps on the LAN side either way if Ethernet backhaul was used

So it seems like the Netgear is targeted specifically at wireless backhaul installations, potentially pushing greater than 1Gbps

• @derek-saville Thanks again!
    That makes sense.

• @daniel-osers Back in stock right now on amplifi.com. Not sure how long they will last.

• @daniel-osers This was the older ac version

• @UI-Brett I do not see that the HD can be configured to the Alien using 3rd party extender mode. If I try to do this, it errors out and says "not supported". Are there specific instructions for adding an HD to the Alien network using 3rd party extender mode?

• @Brian-Nichols Is the HD router you are working with from a kit, or the stand alone router?

• @UI-Brett Kit. Maybe that's the problem?

• @Brian-Nichols Correct, the kit equipment does not have the ability to configure 3rd party mode. You can configure the AmpliFi HD as another network in your home, then enable bridge mode. This is not ideal, (Especially if you do not have the ability to place the AmpliFi HD across the house with an ethernet cable) but if you do have ethernet ran throughout your house you could configure it in this way.

If you want to give me a brief rundown of your environment and what your goals are with using the AmpliFi Hd with the Alien, I could help you find the best possible configuration.

• @UI-Brett I have an Alien that I'm trying to replace the HD kit. The Alien does not have the reach of the HD kit and there is a single area where I need range extension. I do have the ability to ethernet backhaul the HD in this spot. Obviously the best solution is to have another Alien, but you are out of stock!

• @Brian-Nichols yes, but keep checking the store, or enroll in auto stock notifications!

ok, if you have an ethernet drop, you can configure the HD in bridge mode, which will combine the networks and prevent a double NAT. Now you have to make a decision on what to name the SSID.

If you give the HD the same network name as the Alien, your devices will make the final decision on where they want to connect, which could be the Alien, could be the HD and performance can vary.
    If you give them different SSID's, you could isolate which devices will connect to the HD vs the Alien. For devices you want to roam between both, you will have to connect those devices to both networks. Since they are viewed as different networks SSID's in the devices eyes, the threshold in which the device decides to start looking for a different connection will be a lower connection strength.

• @UI-Brett Thanks! I gave the HD the same SSID and it seems to work okay although obviously there's a performance hit (to be expected). Is it best to let the Alien and HD manage 2.4 and 5GHz channels automatically or should I manually set them to separate? Also, would it be better to set the Alien for router steering or leave as is? Thanks!

• @Brian-Nichols said in AmpliFi by Ubiquiti Labs Introduces the AmpliFi Alien:

Is it best to let the Alien and HD manage 2.4 and 5GHz channels automatically or should I manually set them to separate?

I always like to leave them in automatic, but if you are able to perform a scan of your environment to identify open channels, you could change them manually. Remember, new equipment being introduced in your home can affect the channels, so if you manually set it keep in mind that you may need to manually change it in the future if performance starts to dip.

would it be better to set the Alien for router steering or leave as is?

Since Alien is the only router in that configuration (Since HD is in bridge mode) That setting will not matter in your environment right now.

• @UI-Brett Thanks for your help. The network seems to perform adequately for me right now until I can get a second Alien.

• @Derek-Saville it's a shame that both devices don't have a 10gb port, I'd assume that would help into he case where they are trying to push higher bandwidth and speeds, I believe it's safe to assume that it would help with back haul.

• @Angelo-M hey how can I view the videos every time I click on one I get an error. Thank you.

• @nasstee What video are you trying to view?

• @nasstee what videos on YouTube?