AmpliFi by Ubiquiti Labs Introduces the AmpliFi Alien

• Trying to figure out what wifi-6 solution to buy.

Very small apartment with two ethernet runs from a switch.

I would very much like to remove these ethernet runs (I rent and cannot run them through walls)

If I were to buy 3 of these Alien devices could i replace my 2 runs of ethernet and get gigabit speeds to both? (All devices would be connected to 2nd and 3rd Alien via ethernet.)

Is there an upcoming solution that would be more cost effective? I really only need 1 Alien + 2 mesh satellites but it looks as though those don't exist yet. Thanks

• @shane-keulen said in AmpliFi by Ubiquiti Labs Introduces the AmpliFi Alien:

Very small apartment with two ethernet runs from a switch

Some users are reporting that the Alien gave them better coverage and performance over an entire HD kit (1 router & 2 meshpoints).

There is a possibility that you may not need 3 Aliens, but currently we do have the Alien Kit which does have 1 WAN port so you can connect it via ethernet backbone. From there, you could add an AmpliFi Alien as a 3rd device if needed.

• we do have the Alien Kit

Hi @ui-brett - is the Alien MeshPoint in the kit still hard coded?

And will the Alien MeshPoint be sold seperately?

• @derek-saville Yes, still hard coded. No these mesh points are designed for the kits only, so to expand an Alien mesh network you will purchase additional Alien routers.

• @ui-brett Any idea on when will be restocked in Canada? Also I do not see the Alien Kit available in Canada any idea on the timing of when that will be available?

https://ca.store.ui.com/collections/wireless/products/amplifi-alien

• @ui-brett Well, that's a b***h move that punishes loyal early adopters.

• @cedric-deal To me the real bad decisions are not being able to use HD mesh points with the Alien and not offering something cheaper than having to buy another Alien to expand its network reach.

This having kits that are permanently melded together is getting old. I thought I understood why they did it because the HD is aimed at the less technical part portion of the market. How they are used was muddied by the more technical portion of the market using it in ways that I feel it wasn't meant to be used.

That being said and with all the griping from the more technical portion of the market about the HD, I do not understand why Amplifi then built the Alien with the specs it has, they should have realized the Alien would be even more appealing to the more technical part of the market; then making expanding its network reach so cost-prohibitive is just a bad product management and marketing decision.

This decision only gives its competitors more time to correct their lesser products and eventually takes market share in the market Amplifi competes in.

• the HD is aimed at the less technical part portion of the market

And how is the Alien aimed any differently with pretty much the same UI and the same limitations imposed on the HD range?

How they are used was muddied by the more technical portion of the market using it in ways that I feel it wasn't meant to be used.

How are HD's being used in ways that they were never intended?
    WISP's using them instead of airCubes, which have a spec closer to the Instants?
    What was 'muddied'?

I do not understand why Amplifi then built the Alien with the specs it has, they should have realized the Alien would be even more appealing to the more technical part of the market

According to the review you recommended, the Alien is far from a 'spec' that the technical portion of the market would find appealing from both a hardware (lack of dedicated backhaul, not true tri-band) and a software (lack of a lot of conventional features) perspective

market share in the market Amplifi competes in

Which market is that?
    Seems like they followed their standard playbook making a WiFi-6 version of the HD/Instant range for the same market

Bottom line is Amplifi is consumer/home user focused while Ubiquiti is business focused

With all the griping about market segmentation, the other revview you recommended seems to link the UDM to potential home use...The Dream Machine is the first UniFi device that will also work well as a home router. In a way, it's a bridge between the two product lines.

Oh my
    At least Ubiquiti has taken the AmpliFi range back off of their UI store again

The technical portion of the market will most likely wait for a true certified WiFi-6 version of the UDM, with an associated WiFi-6 Beacon for expansion, or move on to something else, and AmpliFi will stay the course

• Hi @ui-brett - did AmpliFi consider softcoding the kit mesh points and pre-pairing them at manufacture for the out-of-box setup experience only?

Risking a $320 brick for a $59 "savings" doesn't seem like a great proposition

• @james-earl-ford said in AmpliFi by Ubiquiti Labs Introduces the AmpliFi Alien:

@cedric-deal To me the real bad decisions are not being able to use HD mesh points with the Alien and not offering something cheaper than having to buy another Alien to expand its network reach.

My understanding is that mesh technology doesn't work so well when one node has significantly different capabilities than another node. The Alien has more than just 802.11AX added to it that is not supported in the AmpliFi HD. If you want non-mesh extension, then just set your HD up in bridge mode with an identical SSID and I think you largely get the best you can hope for with two incompatible systems trying to extend one another.

• When will the Alien's be back in stock? My current router is on it's way out and I want to replace it with an Alien but I see no indication when they will be back in stock or a way to reserve/pre-order/receive an email when they are back in stock. I don't want to have to buy an interim device just to have them come back in stock tomorrow or something.

• @ben-fallon All I can tell you is it's worth the wait.

• @ben-fallon Yeah, I am in the same boat, and it looks like there's an overall shortage on some part of the supply chain as the mesh kit now also is no longer available (it reverted to 'coming soon' which is odd since it already had been available for a short time). The standalone units (which I would buy 2 or 3 of) are "sold out" both on the amplify store and everywhere (!) else. Doesn't seem to be any indication when these will be available again but it's a little worrisome and I'd love to hear what the challenge is to keeping them in stock (I understand the Qualcom chipset is 'readily' available at this point).
    TLDR: also waiting

• @ui-brett Yep. I had an Orbi router + 2 mesh. With the 1 Alien Router I was able to provide coverage for the entire house. 1 family home with 3 levels.

• @james-earl-ford I would agree that similar mesh from the same companies should be backward compatible.

• @shane-milton If that's true it should be clearly stated in the Alien ads and specs.

• I have a clarifying question on the radios - and max streams;

Orbi Wifi6 and the Alien basically share a chipset - with the setup being somewhat different in that Orbi uses one radio for the backhaul exclusively.
    Assuming you do Ethernet backhaul - does the Alien actually support an 8 steams on 80 Mhz for 4803Mbps on the 5Ghz band (or 8x8)? Orbi seems to have the same radio setup, but 'only' support ~2400Mbps.
    In the Alien, are all steams actually client-side, if Ethernet backhaul is used?

• does the Alien actually support an 8 steams on 80 Mhz for 4803Mbps on the 5Ghz band (or 8x8)?

Hi @daniel-osers - the hardware is capable of it, tested and certified for 80 MHz x 8 streams using the 5.8 GHz high band WiFi-6 radio...
    0_1580696881399_A1.jpg
    0_1580696906336_A2.jpg

• @derek-saville Thank you!
    That makes is very interesting as it seems that if I use Ethernet backhaul (and thus none of that traffic has to go through wireless) all client-side traffic has a 8-stream radio on 80Mhz to use;
    It seems the Orbi Wifi6 'only' offer a 4x4 (2400Mbps), and it's unclear is the 2nd radio would be available client-side IF ethernet backhaul was used. I.e. if you use solely wireless backhaul, there may be an advantage to the Orbi, but for wired, Alien doubles the potential capacity.
    Or am I missing something?
    Thanks again

• @vincent-ngo Was that the Orbi Wifi 6 though, or the old version?