Internet drops every 20 minutes

• At first I thought it was my UBEE modem that was causing the 20 minute drops, but when I connected my old Dlink router to the router again the drops stopped.

This is what the app shows during an internet-drop.
    alt text

The drops are every 20 minutes
    alt text

alt text

I really like the wide range the Amplifi mesh has, but with drops like these I can't Skype, stream videocontent or work from home properly. Hoping this can be resolved somehow otherwise the Amplifi is going back to the shop.

• I have been experiencing similar erratic performance. My "best case" performance is ~420Mb/s, which is very good. With other systems I would generally fluctuate between 380-420, so running between 90-100% of max.

But with Amplifi I find that my performance if fluctuating over a much wider range:

Connecting to host 192.168.1.30, port 5201
    [ 4] local 192.168.1.181 port 51282 connected to 192.168.1.30 port 5201
    [ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
    [ 4] 0.00-1.00 sec 45.8 MBytes 384 Mbits/sec
    [ 4] 1.00-2.01 sec 21.0 MBytes 175 Mbits/sec
    [ 4] 2.01-3.00 sec 3.85 MBytes 32.5 Mbits/sec
    [ 4] 3.00-4.00 sec 15.2 MBytes 127 Mbits/sec
    [ 4] 4.00-5.00 sec 22.2 MBytes 185 Mbits/sec
    [ 4] 5.00-6.00 sec 27.7 MBytes 233 Mbits/sec
    [ 4] 6.00-7.00 sec 28.9 MBytes 243 Mbits/sec
    [ 4] 7.00-8.00 sec 27.2 MBytes 228 Mbits/sec
    [ 4] 8.00-9.00 sec 26.0 MBytes 218 Mbits/sec
    [ 4] 9.00-10.00 sec 24.4 MBytes 205 Mbits/sec

[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
    [ 4] 0.00-10.00 sec 242 MBytes 203 Mbits/sec sender
    [ 4] 0.00-10.00 sec 242 MBytes 203 Mbits/sec receiver

iperf Done.

Basically 384 was the max, and in the course of a simple iperf run it averaged half of the max, dropping down to only 10% of the performance at one point.

• I don't think you're addressing the same problem. I'm actually losing internet connection every 20 minutes.

alt text

• I do see drops, they are not as frequent, maybe once every few hours, but there are drops. The fluctuating performance is probably an indicator. Sometimes it does drop to zero.

• @Dio-Vayne I'm seeing the same behaviour (internet drop, "No internet connection" on . I've just bought two Amplifi devices based on recommendation and when they work they are great, but with these drops it is hard to see how I can continue working from home with them and I am also consider returning them. With my previous router the wifi range was poor, but if I was in the same room as the router I would be pretty much guaranteed good internet connectivity. With Amplifi it has become quite a lottery. 😞

Hoping that there's a response that helps to fix this.

• When one person gets a drop in our house, the other is still active. Sitting in the same room, connected to the same AP.

More importantly, when I get a drop I can continue to access my server and my NAS on my network (both have static IPs).

So maybe I did overplay the fluctuations/drops correlation. Realistically they may not be related.

Question to the OP: When you get drops, are you still able to ping resources on your local network? That might be a telling indicator.

• This post is deleted!

• @john-fruehe
    There's no problem with the local network. It looks like the Amplifi chokes on the DNS every 20 minutes somehow (see first picture in this thread).

• And someone also brought up that their Amplifi Teleport was losing its SSID every 20 minutes. Would be weird if they were related, but it is a troubling combination of issues.

• @john-fruehe said in Internet drops every 20 minutes:

And someone also brought up that their Amplifi Teleport was losing its SSID every 20 minutes. Would be weird if they were related, but it is a troubling combination of issues.

I will check if these are related. We believe we've fixed the issue for Teleport.

• I have been testing loads with different DHCP ranges, trying connecting one device at a time. But nothing helped. Until!

I decided to try out something weird and connect put my old router between the UBEE modem en Amplifi router. And lo! No more internet drops!

Short version:
    UBEE > Dlink = fine
    UBEE > Amplifi = internet drops every 20 minutes
    UBEE > Dlink > Amplifi = fine!

• Update:

I have given the Amplifi router a different subnet 255.255.0.0 (instead of 255.255.255.0 on all the other machines). Somehow this fixed the internet drops!! I have no idea why though.

• My rejoyce was too soon 😞

alt text

• Any update/solution to this, as I'm also having regular drops int he same style.

• @dio-vayne Could you please collect support info and send it to me directly? See my e-mail in profile.

App -> Router icon -> Support info.

• Any resolutions or remarks on this item?

I have a very similar situation:
    Previous setup: Internet --> UBEE (EVW320B) --> Dlink (DIR-655) ---> Devices (NAS/PC's/SONOS)
    UBEE modem is NOT (yet?) in bridge mode.
    Because I needed more coverage in my home and use of the new wireless standards a bougth 2x Amplifi routers.
    Current setup: Internet --> UBEE (EVW320B) --> Ubiquiti Amplifi Router HD---> Devices (NAS/PC's/SONOS)
    And now experiencing drop-outs on a regular 20 minute base, from all tested device and only to external IP's.

Some things I tried: Fixed IP address for the Amplifi, Other primary/secondary DNS Addresses.
    All with zero effect.

So any suggestion how to proceed would be very welcome!

Looks like your connection to AmpliFi was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.