Internet drops every 20 minutes

• At first I thought it was my UBEE modem that was causing the 20 minute drops, but when I connected my old Dlink router to the router again the drops stopped.

This is what the app shows during an internet-drop.
    alt text

The drops are every 20 minutes
    alt text

alt text

I really like the wide range the Amplifi mesh has, but with drops like these I can't Skype, stream videocontent or work from home properly. Hoping this can be resolved somehow otherwise the Amplifi is going back to the shop.

• I have been experiencing similar erratic performance. My "best case" performance is ~420Mb/s, which is very good. With other systems I would generally fluctuate between 380-420, so running between 90-100% of max.

But with Amplifi I find that my performance if fluctuating over a much wider range:

Connecting to host 192.168.1.30, port 5201
    [ 4] local 192.168.1.181 port 51282 connected to 192.168.1.30 port 5201
    [ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
    [ 4] 0.00-1.00 sec 45.8 MBytes 384 Mbits/sec
    [ 4] 1.00-2.01 sec 21.0 MBytes 175 Mbits/sec
    [ 4] 2.01-3.00 sec 3.85 MBytes 32.5 Mbits/sec
    [ 4] 3.00-4.00 sec 15.2 MBytes 127 Mbits/sec
    [ 4] 4.00-5.00 sec 22.2 MBytes 185 Mbits/sec
    [ 4] 5.00-6.00 sec 27.7 MBytes 233 Mbits/sec
    [ 4] 6.00-7.00 sec 28.9 MBytes 243 Mbits/sec
    [ 4] 7.00-8.00 sec 27.2 MBytes 228 Mbits/sec
    [ 4] 8.00-9.00 sec 26.0 MBytes 218 Mbits/sec
    [ 4] 9.00-10.00 sec 24.4 MBytes 205 Mbits/sec

[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
    [ 4] 0.00-10.00 sec 242 MBytes 203 Mbits/sec sender
    [ 4] 0.00-10.00 sec 242 MBytes 203 Mbits/sec receiver

iperf Done.

Basically 384 was the max, and in the course of a simple iperf run it averaged half of the max, dropping down to only 10% of the performance at one point.

• I don't think you're addressing the same problem. I'm actually losing internet connection every 20 minutes.

alt text

• I do see drops, they are not as frequent, maybe once every few hours, but there are drops. The fluctuating performance is probably an indicator. Sometimes it does drop to zero.

• @Dio-Vayne I'm seeing the same behaviour (internet drop, "No internet connection" on . I've just bought two Amplifi devices based on recommendation and when they work they are great, but with these drops it is hard to see how I can continue working from home with them and I am also consider returning them. With my previous router the wifi range was poor, but if I was in the same room as the router I would be pretty much guaranteed good internet connectivity. With Amplifi it has become quite a lottery. 😞

Hoping that there's a response that helps to fix this.

• When one person gets a drop in our house, the other is still active. Sitting in the same room, connected to the same AP.

More importantly, when I get a drop I can continue to access my server and my NAS on my network (both have static IPs).

So maybe I did overplay the fluctuations/drops correlation. Realistically they may not be related.

Question to the OP: When you get drops, are you still able to ping resources on your local network? That might be a telling indicator.

• This post is deleted!

• @john-fruehe
    There's no problem with the local network. It looks like the Amplifi chokes on the DNS every 20 minutes somehow (see first picture in this thread).

• And someone also brought up that their Amplifi Teleport was losing its SSID every 20 minutes. Would be weird if they were related, but it is a troubling combination of issues.

• @john-fruehe said in Internet drops every 20 minutes:

And someone also brought up that their Amplifi Teleport was losing its SSID every 20 minutes. Would be weird if they were related, but it is a troubling combination of issues.

I will check if these are related. We believe we've fixed the issue for Teleport.

• I have been testing loads with different DHCP ranges, trying connecting one device at a time. But nothing helped. Until!

I decided to try out something weird and connect put my old router between the UBEE modem en Amplifi router. And lo! No more internet drops!

Short version:
    UBEE > Dlink = fine
    UBEE > Amplifi = internet drops every 20 minutes
    UBEE > Dlink > Amplifi = fine!

• Update:

I have given the Amplifi router a different subnet 255.255.0.0 (instead of 255.255.255.0 on all the other machines). Somehow this fixed the internet drops!! I have no idea why though.

• My rejoyce was too soon 😞

alt text

• Any update/solution to this, as I'm also having regular drops int he same style.

• @dio-vayne Could you please collect support info and send it to me directly? See my e-mail in profile.

App -> Router icon -> Support info.

• Any resolutions or remarks on this item?

I have a very similar situation:
    Previous setup: Internet --> UBEE (EVW320B) --> Dlink (DIR-655) ---> Devices (NAS/PC's/SONOS)
    UBEE modem is NOT (yet?) in bridge mode.
    Because I needed more coverage in my home and use of the new wireless standards a bougth 2x Amplifi routers.
    Current setup: Internet --> UBEE (EVW320B) --> Ubiquiti Amplifi Router HD---> Devices (NAS/PC's/SONOS)
    And now experiencing drop-outs on a regular 20 minute base, from all tested device and only to external IP's.

Some things I tried: Fixed IP address for the Amplifi, Other primary/secondary DNS Addresses.
    All with zero effect.

So any suggestion how to proceed would be very welcome!

• @dio-vayne

Did you ever find out what casued the problem?

Looks like your connection to AmpliFi was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.