Alien Router not seeing older Dell Laptop

• I just got my new Alien router. Installed it with the same SSID I had for my Amplifi HD system. Everything connects perfectly but my wife's older laptop. It just won't see the SSID from the router. I installed a TP-Link extender (RE 650) and it has the same SSID and it then hooks up fine - but then all my network stuff isn't available.....Windows 10 Home on the computer. The wireless adapter is an Intel Dual Band AC-3160.

As a side note my internet provider tells me I get 300 mg download speeds. On my Amplifi HD system I would get around 275 or so standing next to the router. With the new Alien I get 375 next to the router and 250 standing next to my mailbox outside at the end of the driverway. NICE!!!

• @rodney-ruth I would suggest the following:

• Reset your network settings on the laptop. You can do this by going into your network settings > select Manage WiFi Setting > Manage Known Networks > select the network(s) name you wish to delete. Once it has been removed, you will need to verify the network credentials once again.

• Create an additional SSID on the AmpliFi Alien that is 5GHz or 2.g GHz only (not WiFi-6) to see if it can connect there. Your devices network card may have compatibility issues with a triband network which includes the new WiFi-6 protocol. If your Laptop connects to one of these networks, check your network card for driver updates, or if it is an add on adapter, try uninstalling and reinstalling the software.

• Verify your laptop does not have a static IP assigned to it, if it does, the new network that the AmpliFi Alien is broadcasting may be different, and unable to assign a new address to your laptop.

• @ui-brett Ok - I will do this. Great advice. Hope it works. I will report back.

• You can pick up a 802.11ax wireless card card on Amazon for $25 or so. I upgraded most of the laptops in my house this way. If you want the link let me know. I can also check to see if your model is able to be upgraded.

• @ui-brett said in Alien Router not seeing older Dell Laptop:

Reset your network settings on the laptop. You can do this by going into your network settings > select Manage WiFi Setting > Manage Known Networks > select the network(s) name you wish to delete. Once it has been removed, you will need to verify the network credentials once again.

I had a number of devices where this was required when going from an older AmpliFi HD router to an AmpliFi Alien router. I have ~75 devices on my network and while ~65 of them made the transition seemlessly, it seemed like most (all?) Windows and Android devices had to drop and re-add the SSID. I'm not sure if it's because of new features or something else with some of the newer firmware (I don't want to speculate too much) but this was definitely a thing for me. It was no big deal and has not been a recurring thing beyond the one-time transition.

• @timothy-farley said in Alien Router not seeing older Dell Laptop:

You can pick up a 802.11ax wireless card card on Amazon for $25 or so. I upgraded most of the laptops in my house this way. If you want the link let me know. I can also check to see if your model is able to be upgraded.

I did the same with my ~3 year old XPS 13. Gave me BT 5.0 as well! Very happy with my AX200NGW which allows me a second testing device outside of my desktop (Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master motherboard). 😄

• @shane-milton Is there a Beta firmware for the Alien? I didnt turn on beta firmware since I didnt think they were out.

• @timothy-farley I don't think beta firmwares are publicly out there yet. They seem to always open up such programs after a time, so I bet they will open this up as well. But ultimately I really don't have any knowledge about such things so that's 100% speculation based on their past behavior both here and with their UniFi equipment.

Looks like your connection to AmpliFi was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.