Amplifi Alien Mesh Points -- weak connection /coverage vs AmpliFi HD system

• Hi I upgraded from my original AmpliFi HD system to the new AmpliFi Alien high speed mesh system.
    With old system I had router to my cable modern and then two plug in mesh points one upstairs and the other downstairs.
    This provided coverage for my 6000 square foot house as well as around the pool deck area.

Now I am getting Wi-fi drop out around the pool deck area with the new system even though the mesh points are in the identical locations as before. To be clear I have one alien to my cable modem and then two others acting as mesh points.

I did reboot the mesh points and I was able to get the wireless mesh band strength up into the 90's (it previously had been in the low 60's) so unclear to me why it could vary so much.

Looking for methods to improve this without buying yet another mesh point; is there something about the newer antenna that means the mesh points may need to be in different locations than before to maximize performance? I am surprised at the reduced coverage area given the system is advertised as having significantly improved range.

• @jason-s said in Amplifi Alien Mesh Points -- weak connection /coverage vs AmpliFi HD system:

I have one alien to my cable modem and then two others acting as mesh points

So that's 3 x Aliens in total ?

NJSS

• @jason-s I wouldn't assume the same locations would be ideal for the mesh point placements, with 2.4Ghz pushing a further range but lower performance, it might have been an ideal spot for coverage but not necessarily the same with WiFi-6 ax. Using the app, what does your connection strength and band say for each mesh point?

• Yes that turned out to be true. I also Ethernet backboned one of the mesh points and with the other wireless one by moving it around was able to get a signal strength of 85%. Everything is working as before and very speedy as well. 3 Aliens proved to be enough for me.

Looks like your connection to AmpliFi was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.