Using AmpliFI and AmpliFI Alien Together?

• Can these two routers work together in Mesh configuration? If just in Wi-Fi 5 configuration that is.

• @dean-hand Our Alien product line can only Mesh with other Alien devices, take a look at our compatibility guide here: https://help.amplifi.com/hc/en-us/articles/235807288-Which-AmpliFi-model-is-best-for-my-home-

• @UI-JT

So according to that compatibility chart, an AmpliFi HD router (AFI-R) is compatible with everything in the AmpliFi line except the Alien, and the Alien is compatible with nothing in the AmpliFi line at all. It would seem to me that this is an artificial incompatibility - you've simply chosen not to make it incompatible in the software, there's not some sort of actual hardware limitation that would make it incompatible - so I wonder why you would do this? Why even call it an "AmpliFi" Alien?

It kinda seems like you're shooting yourselves in the foot. I, and probably many others, might buy one now (stock permitting of course) if I could gradually upgrade my current mesh network of AmplifiHD routers one-by-one vs having to lay out over $1100 for 3 Aliens in one go. You've effectively guaranteed that I will never purchase one, let alone 3.

• there's not some sort of actual hardware limitation that would make it incompatible

Hi @ozzie-benitoa-0 - lack of OFDMA in the HD range would be a hardware limitation on compatibility

AmpliFi may be able to create legacy mesh with the Alien's secondary WiFi-5 radio, which has been requested as a feature upgrade, but for now you can only add an HD to an Alien as a separate network (i.e. Bridge mode)

• Hi @UI-Brett - I needed a few remote Ethernet ports with an Alien installation

So I enabled Additional 5 GHz Radio, provided a unique SSID different from the main Common SSID, and then installed a spare HD Router (the one the Alien replaced) as an AmpliFi Standalone Mesh Point using the additional 5 GHz Radio's unique SSID

This seemed to work better than when I tried installing the standalone mesh point on the Common SSID with Additional 5 GHz Radio turned off

Can you comment on the downsides of using the additional 5 GHz radio for something like this?

The unique SSID seems to be on it's own channels with a solid 3x3 backhaul and not interfering with the main Alien Common SSID at all

And the only wireless client that knows the unique SSID is the HD standalone mesh point, so I am not seeing any roaming issues either, versus using the Common SSID

I believe you mentioned in a previous post "Radio Steering" was happening?
    Should an HD added as a standalone mesh point essentially work the same on the Common SSID (roaming issues aside)?
    Or with the Additional 5 GHz Radio turned on and using the Common SSID, will the Alien automatically "Radio Steer" an AmpliFi Standalone Mesh Point to the separate additional 5 GHz AC radio?

Just curious...seems like AmpliFi should be pretty close to being able mesh HD routers with an Alien

• @derek-saville said in Using AmpliFI and AmpliFI Alien Together?:

And the only wireless client that knows the unique SSID is the HD standalone mesh point, so I am not seeing any roaming issues either, versus using the Common SSID

This is what makes your setup work well, because you do not have any devices that are roaming off of the Alien network. This is a great way to expand your network with ethernet ports configured wirelessly with the Alien!

The Alien is designed and configured to not allow the HD units to mesh, so every "workaround" that is available might quite possibly be the only option. This is because devices can be encouraged to make a connection to the best possible signal, but ultimately it is up to the device to make the decision.

Yes, Radio steering is built in so that legacy devices are automatically placed on the 5GHz or 2.4GHz accordingly so you don't have to worry about splitting your SSID's just to connect all of your devices. If this theory was used to mesh HD's with the Alien, it would prevent devices from making the "wrong" connection (since most homes have not had an appropriate wireless survey performed to know the ideal location for each node). It's an approach that combines simplicity and performance for all.

Looks like your connection to AmpliFi was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.