2x Alien Routers or Alien router with meshpoint kit?

• I see there is an alien kit available for a bit cheaper but it means losing the display on the meshpoint. If I get 2x alien routers I assume they can be setup as one being the meshpoint? When acting as a meshpoint will the display show any useful data?

I already have a very powerful enterprise class router (no wireless) so these 2x Alien routers will just be a mesh access point.

my current setup is already a mesh (orbi) but i would like to upgrade to these Alien routers.

1st floor - 16 port GB switch connected to my main router
    2nd floor - 16 port GB switch connected to 1st floor switch
    basement - 16 port switch connect to 1st floor switch

I'm planning to connect the Alien router (access point only) to 1st floor switch and add another alien router as a meshpoint to 2nd floor switch using the ethernet backhaul. Any issues with this setup? I read that the ethernet backhaul (meshpoint) must be connected to a port on the Alien router for it to work? Is that true? If so that means I need to run another super long cable from the 2nd floor to the 1st then.

• Hi @vincent-ngo -

If I get 2x alien routers I assume they can be setup as one being the meshpoint?

Yes

Any issues with this setup?

No

Is that true?

The WAN port on the 2nd floor Alien should be logically connected to a LAN port on the 1st floor Alien
    You should not need to run another super long cable
    There are a few ways to do this since you have switches at each location

Just plug the 2nd floor Alien's WAN port into the 2nd floor switch

Then on the 1st floor:

1. Some people have had success with just the 1st floor Alien WAN port plugged into the 1st floor switch to enable wired backhaul
    2. Some people wire the 1st floor switch to a LAN port on the 1st floor Alien and then use a very short jumper between a second LAN port on the 1st floor Alien and the 1st floor Alien's WAN port
    3. Some people wire 2 separate ports on 1st floor switch to one LAN port and the WAN port on 1st floor Alien individually
    4. Some people wire the WAN port on the 1st floor Alien directly to the enterprise class main router and separately wire a LAN port on the 1st floor Alien to the 1st floor switch

All 4 scenarios have been reported to work and I personally use #4 if the router is close to the modem

Regarding choosing between 2x Aliens and the Kit, just know that the Alien Mesh Point is hard coded to the Alien router and they cannot be separated

So if the main Alien router from the kit stops working for any reason, the Alien Mesh Point becomes a doorstop

For this reason a lot of people strongly advise to avoid kits

You only save ~$59 versus buying 2x Alien routers and if the main kit router dies, you are left with a ~$320 brick that you cannot sell or do anything with*

So I would recommend buying 2x Alien routers, and if you don't want to look at the 2nd display, it can be completely turned off in the app

x - well you can actually take it out back and shoot at it or beat it with a large stick to vent your frustration...

• @derek-saville thank you so much for the info! I actually like to have the second display on the router acting as a mesh point if it can show some throughput or stats. I totally agree that it has more resale value as well.

• @vincent-ngo said in 2x Alien Routers or Alien router with meshpoint kit?:

I see there is an alien kit available for a bit cheaper but it means losing the display on the meshpoint

One other difference is that the Alien mesh point does not have a 4 port LAN switch, if this matters to you in your configuration.

• @ui-brett definitely. the lan switch will come in handy