Alien + Wi-Fi 6E ?

• “Wi-Fi 6E devices are expected to make it to the market relatively quickly after regulatory approval, as it only requires changing the antenna tuning / RF front end on existing devices.“

Hi @UI-Brett - did you guys take into account the 6 GHz spectrum when tuning the Alien’s 12 polarity antenna and RF front end?

Or maybe planning a WiFi 6E Alien Pro with 160 MHz channel widths?

That 6 GHz spectrum range sure sounds nice for mesh backhaul...

• I would love to know this as well...

• I asked Brett still waiting he said he will look into it, I'm extremely curious about this also, I'm thinking that would explain why the alien is only at the moment available in the USA at this stage, possibly being delayed to implement 6E or I hope that is the case.

I'm not even sure if my Asus router supports 6E.

• My vote is for a Pro model. It needs a 2.4Ghz, 2x 5Ghz and 2x 6Ghz radios. Also all 2.5Gb ethernet ports. The dual 6Ghz is for 1 to be a dedicated backhual if you want.

Also this will be a hardware upgrade, unless they built it in somehow. Broadcom is already releasing new chipsets.

• @Edward-Dolezal Any response on this topic? If they are doing a respin to incorporate 6E in the short term, I might as well wait.

• @mlangdon from what I've read there are two upgrade paths to 6e some devices and chipsets do support it hardware wise and can be updated to support it with firmware.

Or manufacturers will go for a re roll of the hardware and use existing design's of cases as a new upgraded revision that has 6e support, without knowing the exact hardware chipset being used I can only speculate.

• For the USA the FCC hasn’t voted to open up the 6 GHz spectrum to unlicensed devices yet, but should hopefully pass later this month

There is some good information on the topic over at SNB

• @Edward-Dolezal If the Alien was indeed future proofed with a firmware upgrade, I would have thought that a marketing advantage worth announcing. Since they have not, I am going to assume that it is not and will require a respin. Likely not to see broad availability many 6e capable devices until 2021-22 and for many locations will likely not make a big difference.....so probably not a deal breaker either way.

• @mlangdon I think it's safe to assume by the time 6e is available we will literally need a hardware upgrade, which will coincide with its release, I mean at the moment there is barely any WiFi 6 capable devices.