Alien to Alien Teleport Question

• Hi guys,

I’m planning on upgrading my home to an Amplifi Alien in the U.S. My brother is currently living in Germany and thinking he may get an Alien as well so he can use the Teleport feature to access U.S. internet for specific use cases.

Is the Alien-to-Alien Teleport feature fully working and tested? If I’m using mine as my Primary router, can his be put his into Bridge mode? Also, is it safe to assume the Alien Power Supply is 50/60 Hz, 110-220V?

Lastly, is an Alien on his end overkill — or would he be better off getting an Amplifi Instant on his end? Reliability/Stability are his primary concerns.

Thanks in advance for the input!

• Hi @derek-s

Is the Alien-to-Alien Teleport feature fully working and tested?

In my opinion no
    The reason being, clients connected to Bridge mode routers are currently throwing up an error code 23 stating that router-to-router Teleporting is not compatible with Bridge mode
    I thought this restriction had been removed and it isn't mentioned in the online Teleport: VPN Router to Router support page
    We have asked @UI-Brett to clarify and check if there is problem on the AmpliFi side

If I’m using mine as my Primary router, can his be put his into Bridge mode?

Not at the moment as this is the exact issue noted above
    The opposite direction, your Alien in Bridge mode and your brother's Alien in DHCP mode works fine
    The Teleport App is also working fine with routers in either mode

Also, is it safe to assume the Alien Power Supply is 50/60 Hz, 110-220V?

The Alien power supply requirements are 50/60 Hz, 100-240V

Lastly, is an Alien on his end overkill — or would he be better off getting an Amplifi Instant on his end?

It really depends on his specific use cases and the upload internet speed & latency at your end to Germany and/or if your ISP connection has any issues like buffer bloat

Things like video streaming depends on a lot of factors and what desired quality he wants (Standard Def / HD / 4K)

If he has access to an iOS or Andriod device, I would suggest testing using the Teleport App first
    If you have an extra router, like an HD that is being replaced by an Alien, I would try that as well before spending the cash on a remote Alien just for Teleport access
    Instants should work, but the processing power for VPN in the Instant is lower than an HD router
    Alien's have significantly more processing power than HD routers, but I haven't personally been able to determine if it is a meaningful advantage yet
    The higher the bandwidth that you are trying to push through the VPN connection the more processing power you will need
    But if your brother has modest bandwidth needs, or your upload speeds are limited, then an HD is probably good enough

• @derek-saville said in Alien to Alien Teleport Question:

Not at the moment as this is the exact issue noted above
    The opposite direction, your Alien in Bridge mode and your brother's Alien in DHCP mode works fine
    The Teleport App is also working fine with routers in either mode

Hey Derek,

Thanks for the detailed feedback - much appreciated!

What if both routers are in DHCP mode? .i.e. mine in DHCP mode here in the U.S. and his in DHCP mode (double nat’d). Would that work if Ubiquiti doesn’t address the Alien in Bridge mode issue in the near-term?

Thanks again!

• Hi @derek-s - previously double NAT’ng was working but @michael-richmond was still having some issues with router-to-router connections as reported in this thread

I am hoping @UI-Brett has soon feedback and good news today or tomorrow on the issue

• @derek-saville

Sounds good - I’ll hang tight and we’ll see if Brett is aware and has a solution in the works.

• @derek-s I answered a similar questions on this Thread, but both Aliens in DHCP mode should allow Teleport. I tested this morning and everything was working, even in a test where the home Alien was placed into bridge mode.

• Hi @derek-s - so I was mistaken and they have not eliminated the requirement of DHCP/NAT being enabled at the remote site
    So your brother using double NAT in Germany should be fine
    I just tried it again with NAT at the remote site, and like @UI-Brett, it is working between two Alien routers

• Thanks guys, Much appreciated!

Looks like your connection to AmpliFi was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.