PS4 Pro dropping connection - AmpliFi Alien

• It appears that my son’s PS4 Pro is dropping connection from the AmpliFi Alien possibly due to band switching 5ghz vs 2.4ghz.

I’d prefer to not create separate WiFi SSID’s for each but is this the only possible solution?

Thanks!

• Hi @rick-daino-1 - what signal strength is indicated for the PS4 Pro under the family tab when connected at 5GHz?

If you have a mesh did you confirm the PS4 Pro isn’t bouncing the connection between the RAMP versus the main router (not sure which one is more ideal)?

As a test you might consider enabling the Additional 5GHz Radio with a unique SSID giving the PS4 Pro its own 5GHz only network, at least temporarily, and see how the performance is?

• PS4 Showing 49% strength connected to 5ghz. It is indeed connected to the Mesh point which is using Ethernet Backbone. Surprising the signal is so low considering it's in the bedroom right outside where the mesh point is situated.

I'm thinking I may try turning off band steering but will also try your suggestion. Thank you!

• Hi @rick-daino-1 - could be some interference in that area which they can check if you send them a Support Info file from when it is connected at 5 GHz

Do your other wireless clients show a significant signal drop from one side of the wall to the other?

The wall construction may be problematic

Otherwise you might try shifting the positioning of the RAMP if it is close to any walls or other obstructions

• @rick-daino-1 Is there any way you could wire it to the RAMP as a work around? Make sure router steering is off and try turning off band steering. If possible after you notice a drop generate a support file so we can narrow down the issue.

• @ui-jt working working on getting it wired up as the alternate solution. Will also try what you suggested and get you the support files next time I witness this happening. Thanks so much!

• @ui-jt Quick Question - instead of turning off band steering could I enable the 2.4ghz WiFi6 under “Router Additional SSID” and then have the PS4 connect to that or am I misunderstanding how that particular feature works? If enabled will it show as a separate joinable network?

Thanks!

• @rick-daino-1 Yes you can create an additional ssid and name it something different than the main ssid. Note that the password will be the same.

• UPDATE: Scenario 3 as listed below may not be stable after all as I am starting to witness some disconnects. I need to do more testing to confirm.

I can also confirm that for those of you with the Alienware Alpha Computer - it must use the additional WiFi channel as it will not function with the AmpliFi Alien on its own (won’t see the network at all).

ORIGINAL POST
    So I believe I have a workaround but wanted to share with @ui-jt and @UI-Brett in case you need a support log file for a future fix (if possible) as this is something I have replicated across 3 playstation 4 pro's and you may hear from others about this. Maybe a KB article is needed?

It would appear that in its current state the WiFi chip inside of the Playstation 4 Pro does not like the Alien's WiFi 6 5ghz signal. As stated above I have replicated (for testing purposes) on 3 different PS4 Pro's all in the same room as the AmpliFi Alien Router and they all give the same results. The following is what I witnessed as works/does not work:

FAIL - Scenario 1 - AmpliFi Alien Settings:
    Additional WiFi 5ghz Radio set to "OFF" and Router Additional SSID's set to "OFF"

PS4 Pro Settings:
    WiFi Frequency Bands on the PS4 Pro set to Automatic

Results:
    PS4 Pro's connect but frequently disconnect from the internet

FAIL - Scenario 2 - AmpliFi Alien Settings:
    Additional WiFi 5ghz Radio set to "OFF" and Router Additional SSID's set to "OFF"

PS4 Pro Settings:
    WiFi Frequency Bands on the PS4 Pro set to only join via 5ghz

Results:

SUCCESS - Scenario 3 - AmpliFi Alien Settings:

PS4 Pro Settings:
    WiFi Frequency Bands on the PS4 Pro set to only join via 2.4ghz

Results:
    PS4 Pro's connect and stay connected

FAIL - Scenario 4 - AmpliFi Alien Settings:
    Additional WiFi 5ghz Radio set to "ON" and Router Additional SSID's set to "OFF"

With the additional 5ghz Radio set to "ON" the SSID is left the same name as my main SSID name

PS4 Pro Settings:
    WiFi Frequency Bands on the PS4 Pro set to only join via 5ghz

Results:

SUCCESS - Scenario 5 - AmpliFi Alien Settings:
    Additional WiFi 5ghz Radio set to "ON" and Router Additional SSID's set to "OFF"

With the additional 5ghz Radio set to "ON" I changed the SSID on this channel to "name-x2"

PS4 Pro Settings:
    WiFi Frequency Bands on the PS4 Pro set to only join via 5ghz and directed to join the new named channel "name-x2"

Results:
    PS4 Pro's connect and stay connected

Additional notes & questions:
    I did not test setting up the Alien's Additional SSID channels but based on my testing above I suspect that the additional SSID 5ghz WiFi 6 channel will not work and the 2.4ghz WiFi 6 & 5ghz WiFi channels will work.

Of course I could also eliminate this problem by hardwiring into the PS4 but for some of these rooms it is not an option for me.

My question to @UI-Brett @UI-JT and the team is based on my above workarounds which would be the best for overall performance on my network? I assume Scenario 3 as it does not require me to turn on the additional WiFi radio but please let me know.

Finally, for those of you unsure of how to force your PS4 to attach to a specific WiFi band please see the instructions below - it walks through forcing a connection to 5ghz but as you go through these steps you will see the option for 2.4 and automatic as well.

On your PS4
    Go to Settings > Network > Setup Internet Connection > Use Wi-Fi > Easy.

Next press the Options button > select Wi-Fi Frequency Bands.

Select 5 GHz Only if listed and press X. 5 GHz frequency band is supported for PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro models.

• @rick-daino-1 I would use scenario 3 for your deployment, you will be able to achieve higher speeds and cleaner spectrum by eliminating the additional SSID. Thanks for sharing to other users with the PS4 Pro. When you test scenario 3 are you seeing good data rates?

• @ui-jt unfortunately scenario 3 no longer works and also drops connection. For some reason my Alienware Alpha is unable to see the network unless I open up the additional channel as well.

Is it possible to use another Alien Router, Alien Mesh Point or even AmpliFi HD Unit to connect wirelessly to the network (But NOT serve as a mesh point itself - allowing wireless clients to connect) so I can then use the Gigabit ports on the back to hardwire to the PS4?

• @rick-daino-1 Are you using one Alien currently? We are testing with a PS4 Pro now so maybe we can see the issue here. If you need to hardwire the PS4 Pro you can add another Alien as a MeshPoint and us the port on the bottom.

• @ui-jt yes currently using 2 Aliens. The issue is most noticeable when playing Destiny 2 - we get a failing to reach the destiny servers error and when looking back at the PlayStation dash it tells us we are no longer connected to the internet.

Regarding using another alien as an access point that’s only possible if I hardwire it correct? I was looking to see if I could do it wirelessly since I can’t run a cable in that room.

• @rick-daino-1 You can use one of the Aliens you have now, just plug the PS4 in a LAN port.

• @ui-jt is there a way to turn the radio off on the alien so it only serves as an access point (wired). Only asking because placing an alien in that room will have it 1 room away from my main Alien and wondering if that creates issues being too close?

• @rick-daino-1 It may cause some hand off issues, there is no way to turn off the radios unfortunately. I would place it there and at test the PS4 for a while.

• @ui-jt got it thanks! One other question, any known issues introducing power line adapters with the alien? I’m looking at that as another possible solution.

• @rick-daino-1 In general I think people see lower throughput on them, like maybe 100mbps but it should work as long as they act as a bridge and do not have any DHCP or NAT functionality. I will test our PS4 and update this thread with recommendations.

• @rick-daino-1 I had positively no luck with power line in my house. I'd get 100mbps tops, depending which circuits were being hopped. I blame he wiring in the house though, so YMMV.

• +1 to this issue on firmware v3.3.1. The out of the box enablement of "Common SSID Name" was problematic for my PS4 Pro. What has worked for me:

1. Disable "Common SSID Name," set different SSID's and explicitly connect to the 2.4GHZ band. 2.4GHZ band is awfully slow so it's a non-preferred solution for me.
    2. Enable "Additional 5 GHZ radio" option with a different SSID. Connect the PS4 to this, along with explicitly telling the PS4 to only use the 5GHZ band. I don't think the PS4 setting is necessary, but everything is currently stable in the household.

Have the AmpliFi engineers found the issue, and is there an ETA on the fix? I know the Amplifi Alien was built with the flexibility in mind, but what are the ramifications if any for enabling the additional radio?