PS4 Pro dropping connection - AmpliFi Alien

• I am not turning on the additional radio and don't want to use more than a single SSID, so I had to force my PS4 Pro to connect using 2.4GHz only and the connection is fine, but slow as hell compared to the 5GHz connection that won't stay connected. I'll use it as is for now, but I hope they get this resolved sooner rather than later. Pretty major issue that needs attention.

• If you set your network to use one common SSID, wouldn’t your PS4 choose the band with the best signal even though it may have the slower speed depending on its location: 2.4 as oppose to 5. I would think that if you want the PS4 to be on the 5 band exclusively for the speed regardless of the strength of the signal, then you should create different SSID’s for each band and connect the PS4 to the 5 band. You don’t have to enable the “additional 5 band”.

• @tonytrung Yes, in theory it should work, but there is a bug that is preventing this from working seamlessly. My observation is that the PS4 is able to momentarily connect to the 5 GHZ band associated with default wifi6-capable controller, and then disconnects shortly thereafter. Not sure if it requires a fix from just Amplifi or if we also have to wait for a PS4 frmware patch. I am hoping that the Amplifi folks can clarify this for us.

FWIW I came from an Eero setup and did not have any issues with my PS4. Not trying to discount Amplifi's products or upsell Eero. Just wanted to note that the PS4 can work well in an environment that uses a common SSID.

• @bshaheen Definitely up to you how you want to handle this in the interim. If the speed is unbearable then I suggest enabling the extra extra radio. Takes less than 5 minutes to enable the setting, enter a different SSID, and update the PS4 wifi settings.

• @Dan-Nguyen-0 Hello, I received my AmpliFi Alien today. All my devices were able to connect to my new router. One device stood out: PS4 Pro. Intermitting disconnect/reconnect.

I have a video uploaded to share:

Two methods for that issue
    One method for solution (kind of defeat the purpose of common SSID)

Failed step #1:
    Common SSID (sharing all bands in one name) (see YouTube video)
    Toggling Band Steering ON/OFF was not helping

Failed step #2:
    Disabled Common SSID and gave two SSID names. Had PS4 Pro to connect to 5Ghz SSID (see YouTube video for the same results)
    Toggling Band Steering ON/OFF was not helping as well

Success step:
    Common SSID enabled and enabled "Additional 5 GHz radio" with unique name and have PS4 Pro to connect to that additional 5 GHz radio SSID.

• @kibby Thanks for confirming. For folks who stumble upon this thread, try the "Additional 5 GHz radio" or enable Router Additional SSID for the 5GHZ.

It is a bit confusing but by doing either of those you are allowing the PS4 Pro to connect to the Alien via the lower band of 5GHZ frequencies vs. the default of high band frequencies for Wifi 6. I have not performed in depth research to see which 5GHZ frequencies the PS4 Pro supports or if it is some sort of firmware bug and negotiation between the device and the router.

• I also reverted to factory default and went into WiFi 5GHz setting menu and saw Channel Width (choice of 80,40,20) in MHz.

20MHz was successful with WiFi 6 connection but extremely slow: 20mbps down and 3mbps

Went back to my original solution with additional 5GHz non-WiFi6 for now. PS4 Pro ran a test and got nearly max speed of my ISP plan.

Would like to have PS4 Pro on a Common SSID with WiFi 6 if possible.

• @Dan-Nguyen-0

This is very annoying. What is the drawback of enabling the extra 5GHz radio?

• @Carlos-Pizano , not sure haha. Hopefully unperceivable latency. Waiting for someone at Amplifi to answer the question for us.

• Hi new to Ubiquiti and have two of the Ubiquiti Amplifi HDs. I'm a former Netgear Nighthawk user.

Everything seems to be working fine with the exception of the PS4 Pro, which freezes quite often.

Symptoms on this thread is what I'm experiencing. On the Amplifi app, there's a setting per device connected. These are "normal", optimize for streaming, and optimise for gaming.

Has anyone used the optimize for gaming setting? Might try this prior to creating an additional 5Ghz neowrk

• @bugoy8 When you say "Freezing" do you mean there is lag in games or can you further explain what you mean? Latency mode will limit all connected devices to 100Mbps max in order to prevent latency spikes caused by bandwidth hungry clients.

• @UI-JT Thanks for responding!

The game basically loses internet connection. Which isn't very pleasant when playing online.

It only started when I switched over to the Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh. I have two of these cubes in the house.

Previously on the Netgear Nighthawk, this didn't happen when playing on the PS4. HOWEVER, the Netgear setup had way more issues! 🙂 Thus far, I've only experienced the dropouts with the PS4. All that's described on this thread seems relevant even if I have different device (Not the Alien).

In terms of optimizing the PS4 for gaming, does this mean it will limit the rest of the devices connected to the Amplifis' to 100Mbps? Referring to this setting link text

Thanks!

Update - is there a way to lock the PS4 Pro to one of the mesh points?

• My issue is I am getting horrible PS4 connection speed. And when I am able to secure a connection the speed is way to slow for online gaming. I tried the 5GHz fix and had no luck. Right now I am getting 467.1 kbps (download) and 252.5 kbps (upload). I did not have this issue with my old router.

• Just to add - I have the same problem.
    PS4 Pro - works fine on 2.4Gh. On 5Ghz it continuously drops connection (nonstop); when it is connected for a moment, connection speed is in kilobits.
    Signal is 100%, the PS4 Pro is less than 4 feet from the Alien. No other system is having this issue - but the only way I can get PS 4 Pro to work is to force it to 2.4 in the Playstation network settings, or wired... 😞
    Latest (release) Alien firmware.

• @Daniel-Osers

Thanks for sharing. I'm still having issues with the PS4 pro and had to fall back on cable ethernet which is not really ideal.

I didn't realize that you could lock the frequency by pressing the options button while picking the wifi connection. I've now locked it to 2.4ghz and will test this and see if it's stable.

So I guess instead of jumping mesh points, it's connected to the same mesh point but jumps frequencies, thus causing the drop out.

Will test and see and report back.

• @Maris1961 Try forcing in onto 2.4Ghz (in your PS4 network settings - you can choose Auto, 5Ghz, 2.4Ghz).
    That "fixed" it for me - there is something going on with PS4 Pro connecting to the Alien's 5Ghz Radio (even in close range, without looking to 'hop')

• @bugoy8 If you want your PS4 Pro to work with the 5GHZ band you'll want to try and enable the "Additional 5 GHz radio" with a different SSID and force 5GHZ band on the PS4 (noting that forcing may be redundant if you are already setting a different SSID). FWIW I have the majority of my devices default to this radio and I've noticed a much more stable environment. Only the few devices that actually support Wifi6 are connecting to the main 5GHZ (high band) radio.

• @Dan-Nguyen-0 I think that's a very likely fix for the PS4 Pro - but interestingly enough, I have 48 devices total on WiFi (plus some wired). Of these about 70% are on the 5Ghz network (Wifi6). Only the PS 4 Pro has any issues - so I am not that keen on enabling the secondary radio just for that :).

• @UI-JT It's clear there is a bug with either the Amplifi Alien and/or PS4 Pro connecting to the 5GHZ Wifi6/AX/high band radio. Is there internal tracking for this? There are numerous folks on this thread who will happily repro for you. Also would it make sense to move this thread to the Alien section for higher visibility?

• @Carlos-Pizano I did some unscientific testing. I confirmed the default wifi6 radio does seem to negotiate at faster speeds; however, take that with a grain of salt. I doubt most folks would be able to tell the difference, nor are their internet speeds fast enough to saturate the speed of the secondary/additional radio.