PS4 Pro dropping connection - AmpliFi Alien

• @Daniel-Osers haha that's exactly what my home looks like also. Only the PS4 Pro is problematic... everything else works fairly well, although reliability may be arguable as it's difficult to obtain metrics to prove it. If folks are ok with 2.4GHZ speeds, no need to enable the additional radio, else enable it until this issue is resolved. Also personal preference, I rarely if ever use products that only support 2.4GHZ (only the apple watch and August Lock currently), and strive for a high speed and reliable 5GHZ wireless network.

• @Dan-Nguyen-0

I've had issues with the 2.4Ghz so now it's locked 5Ghz. Testing this out to see if it sticks. As many have mentioned, have quite number of devices connected to the Amplifi HDs and seems to only be an issue with the PS4 Pro. Yes I have the Amplifi HDs (2 cubes) but I thought of positing it here as the symptoms are quite similar.

In terms of creating an additional 5Ghz radio I wouldn't think that would make a difference since the PS4 allows you to lock the frequency. As you rightly mentioned, this would be redundant and I didn't really want to create an unnecessary overhead if not really required.

• Even on my previous tri-band routers, my PS4 Slim always had trouble connecting to the upper 5ghz bands (153, 161, etc). The lower-bands (36, 44, etc) worked fine. This was true for the Netgear R8000, Netgear R8500, Linksys Velop MX5 and now the Alien is a little different. The upper-band actually shows up in the SSID list which was weird. I tried connecting to it and it would "connect" but no access to PSN or the network. Doing a Test Internet Connection would get stuck on Internet Connection, PSN Sign-In and the connection speed would be in the kbps for some weird reason.

I think its an issue with the PS4 radio not supporting the upper-band. The lower band works fine as usual.

• @Daniel-Osers tried it. not enough connection speed. getting KBPS will not work with gaming. Now lately the coverage in my home has gone down. I was better off with at&t coverage. This product will be sent back

• It would be great if the settings allowed you to manually set the WiFi 6 5Ghz radio’s channel. It looks like the Advance Wireless setting for channel is for the secondary radio. Then we could set the WiFi 6 GHz on the low band and the secondary on the high band.

• Was wondering if there is any update on this issue? I’m starting to notice more and more devices that have issues connecting to the 5ghz on the alien. Apart from my PS4 Pro, my Sony TV A9F also seems to have problems with the 5ghz band as well as a Nintendo switch that only connects to 2.4 and a Circle Cam 2 which also only connects to 2.4.

For the PS4 and the Sony TV, using the additional 5ghz radio solves their issues. I;m just wondering if this will be the only fix for the future.

• @dmers This is something we are still looking into, and every case has a potential different reasoning. If you would like to share support files from your system that are generated right after you notice the issue happening, that could help us find a solution for your situation, and for a future firmware release.

• @UI-Brett Honestly I don't think this is an issue with the Alien router but more with the PS4. Well the only weird thing for me is that the high-band actually shows up on the PS4's SSID list. All the routers I had in the past did not show high-band 5Ghz networks on the PS4's SSID list (Netgear R8000, R8500, RAX120; Linksys MX5)

• @Dhananjay-Suresh did you ever get this figured out? just set up all of my devices and everything works great except the PS4 Pro.

• @Jake-Snyder I had to enable the 2nd 5ghz radio and make sure it’s SSID is different than the main radio. Then connect the PS4 to the 2nd radio.

The main 5ghz radio should be in a high-band channel and the secondary one is in a low-band channel. Seems like the PS4 can’t connect to high-band 5ghz.

• shouldn't this be moved to the Amplifi Alien troubleshooting? also.. i'm upgrading my HD setup to a Alien single unit, a PS4 Pro is present so i will test the connection between the units, let's see what happens 🙂

• @dexx64 I have moved this topic to reflect the correct topic. Look forward to your testing results.

• @UI-AmpliFi ok 😉 well, i've tested my PS4 pro... it didn't disconnect like we saw on the video, but it is super slow.. like 100 kbps down and 30 kbps up, my old HD setup had 100+ Mbit down and 100+ up, there is a wifi problem between the PS4 pro and the Alien.

• @UI-AmpliFi Even worse for those of us how have an EU version with no WiFi 5 radio as we can't fall back on that.

Any update on this issue?

• I'm using a single wifi and let the router decide.
    I've got the same issue on my PS4 Pro, connecting to Wifi was no problem, but the simple self test showed low speeds and timeouts, even in the menu constant time out notifications.
    Workaround what i figured out to get at least normal speeds:

• go to wifi selection
    • in the selection screen press option button
    • select 2,4ghz instead of auto or 5ghz
    • do the usual

After that the connection test showed at least 40mbit instead of some kbs/s
    Still wired that the tested bandwith is still that low but at least its better then no throughput. (my router is 2 meters away with a wall in between)

• @Nachtviech that's a good solution 😉 for now, i've got 80+ Mbit down but the Alien still needs a good firmware update to fix the 5ghz problem 🙂 then we are extra happy 😛

• ...netgear has a fix on their site which was to change the CTS/RTS Threshold value to 2347

Hi @UI-Karlis & @UI-AmpliFi - any chance you could add the above CTR/RTS Threshold setting of 2347 to the Beta Web UI so users of the PS4 Pro could check if it solves the WiFi-6 connectivity issues on the Alien?

Even if it is just a simple check box to enable a dedicated PS4 Pro setting of 2347 to see what happens, and unchecking the box sets it back to whatever your default is would be nice to try out

• @dexx64
    General this solves the throughput issue, but there are really wired hick ups.
    I’m combing from an Amplifi HD what I used for years with no big issues after the first rough months of the release 🙂
    Today I tried the online game Fall guys, what worked on the old HD with like zero to rare stutters.
    The game it’s self is not really bandwidth demanding.
    But I had a lot of stutters and actual some seconds of lags with the 2,4 workaround. On 5ghz I’m not able to open a website in the ps browser.
    Similar issues are with my 2019 shield tv pro.
    My screen saver app streams videos from the web, with currently also freezes, local game streaming (steam) causes some package lost with the performance overlay. My iPhone SE (2020) gets in the management App some Timeouts, but only in the 5ghz band.
    Hoping for the next beta firmware

• @Nachtviech yep, that's exactly what i have on my iPhone 11 Pro on 5ghz... and for the ps4 pro, guess we really have to wait for a new improved firmware for the Alien, 1 with a Wifi driver update... the unit is a computer after all 😛

• @dexx64 @Nachtviech fwiw, I don't have any issues in the 5ghz band accessing the management app via an iPhone xr (WiFi 5 client)