Help me choose network for 1500 SQ FOOT Apartment

• Hello all.. I just stumbled on AmpliFi Alien Router and it has peaked my interest. I have a 1500 SQ Foot apartment and looking to get better overall Wifi in the back of the apartment.

I have used apple extreme in the past and did not work in the back of the apartment. I was going to go with Unifi security gateway, switch and AP pro until i saw ad for Alien.

Here is my question:

• will i get better wifi coverage from UAP‑PRO or from a single Alien Router?
    • If I buy just the Alien router and decide I need more coverage can I extend and get the meshPoint ?
    • If I want to expand my network, will I be able to use a Switch with this alien router?

• @luis-braga said in Help me choose network for 1500 SQ FOOT Apartment:

will i get better wifi coverage from UAP‑PRO or from a single Alien Router?

Difficult to compare how wireless would perform in each environment, however in theory and specs the Alien will perform better than a UAP-PRO (Although your placement of each could also impact this as well)

If I buy just the Alien router and decide I need more coverage can I extend and get the meshPoint ?

Yes, you would purchase a second AmpliFi Alien router and add it as a mesh point via wireless or wired backhaul

If I want to expand my network, will I be able to use a Switch with this alien router?

Yes, you can add a switch to any LAN port on the back of the Alien router.

• @ui-brett Brett as an IT guy would you agree that goign the uap-pro, switch and secure gateway will give me more " networking" power such as QOS, VPN etc ? I want to build on a system and not have to trash and start over if I expand to a larger house in the future.

• @luis-braga Absolutely Unifi equipment will give you more networking options, it is designed for enterprise use while AmpliFi is designed for home use.

• Hi @luis-braga - have you considered a UniFi Dream Machine?

It's essentially a UniFi WiFi-5 AP, managed switch, and secure gateway controller rolled into one

Versus an Alien which has WiFi-6 technology and the relatively easy-to-use Teleport VPN

• @derek-saville you know I was just looking to compare the 2. I understand the UDM Pro is coming out soon. I like the look of Alien but Performance I am not sure what will work better.

Does anyone know when UDM Pro will be released?

• @luis-braga We live in an apartment that is just a little smaller than yours and we have a single Amplifi HD on Spectrum 400/20 and get great coverage. Last week I used my iPhone 7 to run speed tests using speedtest.net and speed.ui.com in every room including a big closet with the door closed. I got 350+/20+ in all locations of the apartment. The HD is located approximately in the center of the apartment and is raised slightly behind the computer monitors to reduce interference. We have 15 devices regularly connected including 3 smart TVs, iPads, iPhones, Apple TV and Echo's. Periodically our children and grandchildren visit which means there can be another 10-15 devices on the networks and we have not had any performance problems.

• @james-ford Thank James that is good to know. I have a feeling the Aline is more for someone who just wants to plug and play and move on. I like that but looking for a little more. Joining to wait to see the reviews on the UDM-Pro before making a decision.

• Any idea where we can get UDM-PRO ?? everywhere I look is not available.

• Any idea where we can get UDM-PRO ?? everywhere I look is not available.

Hi @luis-braga - isn't the UDM-PRO still in Early Access beta?

• 10Gb throughput
    • Full gigabit wire speed with IDS/IPS on
    • HDD for Protect

What else does the PRO version have over the UDM?

• SO I just realized the UDM-Pro is different than the UDM.. from the pics I see it is blade like and rack mountable.

8 lan ports
    SFP +

• @luis-braga Correct, no AP like the UDM has built in.

• As I try to make up my mind, I thought well the UDM is nice but it's a all in one. What id the router gets messed up or the switch or something else? The while unit would have to be sent in or replaced. when you have all individual devices, if your switch goes down you still have access to your router. it would make it easier to repalce parts all i am saying.

Looks like your connection to AmpliFi was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.