Setting up Amplifi routers as wired access points

• I would appreciate advice / comments from the community on my planned set up using Amplifi routers in my home. I am a gadget enthusiast but have very limited networking knowledge.

I am planning to

• use either the instant or HD routers - or one of each- as 2 wired access points (ethernet backhaul, operating in bridge mode);
    • operate my ISP modem / router in router mode, but with the ISP wifi turned off.

I appreciate there are other options but this plan best suits my current home arrangements. For example:

• I can probably change the ISP modem. /router to bridge mode, but I would then lose my voip telephony service).

• The ISP modem / router is located in a broom cupboard next to the internet access point and a patch panel for ethernet routing, and would be difficult to relocate it (again, without losing voip).

Is it correct that I can mix and match the instant / HD routers as part of my mesh network?

If I want to add an additional Amplifi router in the future, will this be possible if I originally buy an Instant router double pack and the satellite in that pack is locked to the first instant router?

Will I need to daisy chain the Amplifi routers from each other or can they be configured in a star topology connected directly to the ISP modem / outer?

Is there a specific process to go through in setting up the Amplifi routers for my planned system - eg - first setting up one of the routers in the default router mode and then setting it up with ethernet backhaul and as an access point?

Is it possible to set up Amplifi routers as access points that have a new wifi network or do I need in this mode to use the same wifi network as the ISP route modem?

Is there anything else I should know?

Again apologies in advance for what may seem dumb questions.

Col

• Hi @colin-lyons -

Is it correct that I can mix and match the instant / HD routers as part of my mesh network?

Yes, but there are some restrictions if you purchase kits - standalone units have no restrictions

If I want to add an additional Amplifi router in the future, will this be possible if I originally buy an Instant router double pack and the satellite in that pack is locked to the first instant router?

Yes, but there are many reasons NOT to buy the Instant Kit to start with if you might get an HD later

The HD is a much stronger product (Better CPU, 3x3 MIMO, tri-polarity antenna, Client QoS) and if you start with an Instant Kit, the Instant Router must be the primary router of a mesh, even in bridge mode, so you would waste a lot of the power of the HD or you would have to run the HD independently from the Instant in order to take advantage of it if you try to combine a standalone HD with an Instant kit

It is recommended to start with a standalone HD first if cost is not an issue, or start with a standalone Instant and avoid the kit if possible

Will I need to daisy chain the Amplifi routers from each other or can they be configured in a star topology connected directly to the ISP modem / outer?

For meshing, the WAN port on a rotuer as a mesh point (RAMP) needs to be logically connected to a LAN port on primary router
    This should work through the WAN port of the primary router when it is in bridge mode, as I believe you are asking

Is there a specific process to go through in setting up the Amplifi routers for my planned system - eg - first setting up one of the routers in the default router mode and then setting it up with ethernet backhaul and as an access point?

Yes, you will set up the primary router in bridge mode, then add a RAMP as a wireless mesh point, then enable Ethernet backhaul in the app, and then make the Ethernet connection as detailed here

Is it possible to set up Amplifi routers as access points that have a new wifi network or do I need in this mode to use the same wifi network as the ISP route modem?

The AmpliFi WiFi network would be completely separate from the ISP network and you can independently make the SSID and password whatever you want
    I would recommend NOT using the same network as the ISP, as even if you disable it on the ISP modem/router, they may update they firmware in the background and re-enable it or if you it does get re-enabled for any reason, it could interfere with your AmpliFi network

Is there anything else I should know?

My personal opinion, start with an HD and don't buy kits...

Looks like your connection to AmpliFi was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.