Common SSID name

• I know what SSID is but can someone explain what the on/off setting for “Common SSID name” means/does?

Thank you!

• Hi @rick-daino-1 - there is a support article here on Configuring SSIDs and if you scroll down it includes a section specific to the Alien

Common SSID Name
    By default, AmpliFi Alien has WiFi-6 enabled in the primary SSID. If you would like to separate the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands into individual networks, you can do so by disabling Common SSID Name. An example of when you would want to disable the Common SSID Name would be when you want to prevent your devices from roaming between the 5GHz and 2.4GHz networks. By disabling this feature and connecting your device to your desired network, you make sure they do not move from that band.
    NOTE: This is a global feature, and will be applied to the router and all mesh points on your network.

You can ignore what I previously wrote below...

...turning "Common SSID Name" off allows you to separate the meshed WiFi-6 SSID's for the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz radios across all access points (backwards compatible with WiFi-5 and earlier)

Leaving it on means you have the same meshed WiFi-6 SSID for 2.5 GHz and 5 GHz across all access points (backwards compatible with WiFi-5 and earlier)

You can additionally turn on an "Additional 5 GHz Radio" if you have a client that does not play nicely with WiFi-6, and that meshed WiFi-5 SSID across all access points can either be the same as the Common SSID, or you can give it a unique SSID

Finally, you can then also enable separate individual "Additional SSID"s per access point for the WiFi-6 2.4 GHz, WiFi-6 5 GHz, and/or WiFi-5 5GHz radios

• @derek-saville Thank you!

• @derek-saville said in Common SSID name:

Additional 5 GHz Radio" if you have a client that does not play nicely with WiFi-6, and that meshed WiFi-5 SSID across all access points can either be the same as the Common SSID, or you can give it a unique SSID

And just to confirm — there’s no additional legacy 2.4Ghz radio that I can enable for devices that don’t play nice with WiFi-6, correct? (i.e. Wyze Cams that only support 2.4Ghz).

Thanks

• Hi @derek-s - sorry, no legacy 2.4 GHz radio

Have you tried turning off the Common SSID and creating the separate 2.4 GHz mesh SSID?

I believe you already turned off Band Steering?

Is your 2.4 GHz wireless set to 20 MHz or 20/40 MHz?

Have you tried all 11 of the manual set 2.4 GHz channels?

You might consider asking @UI-Karlis for help rolling back the firmware to v3.2.3 since WiFi-6 was added to the 2.4 GHz band with v3.2.4, which may be causing an issue

• @derek-saville said in Common SSID name:

You might consider asking @UI-Karlis for help rolling back the firmware to v3.2.3 since WiFi-6 was added to the 2.4 GHz band with v3.2.4, which may be causing an issue

Yep - I’ve actually only tried it with Common SSID disabled. I figured common SSID would be a non-starter. I tried only channels 1,6, and 11 at 20Mhz BW. When I switched it to 20/40Mhz, neither the Wyze Cams nor my brothers iPhones could see/detect the 2.4Ghz channels — it was very odd. As soon as I switched back to 20Mhz, the SSID was detected again. So on that note, it’s unclear to me what the 20/40Mhz option does? Shouldn’t it let me choose either a 20Mhz or 40Mhz bandwidth channel, not both?

I didn’t realize WiFi-6 was added to 2.4Ghz in 3.2.4 — I’d love to roll back to v3.2.3 as a test and see if it fixes connectivity to my brother’s Wyze cams. Is this a possibility @UI-Karlis ? Or will there be an option to disable Wi-Fi-6 for the 2.4 GHz radio in a future release?

Thanks!

• Hi @derek-s - for me as well enabling 20/40 causes connectivity issues and I have to leave it off

In FCC submissions it stated for v3.2.4, “2.4G ac/ax function added (firmware change only)“

That doesn’t necessarily mean it was activated, just that something was put into the firmware and certified - only AmpliFi would know what is going on

But the 2,4GHz code was tweaked, so it might be worth trying the older revision just to check

• @derek-saville

Sounds good - thanks for the additional details. I’ll wait to hear back from @UI-Karlis and see if it makes sense to roll back... and if so, hopefully he can pass me some roll back instructions.

Thanks again!

• @derek-saville sane for me when I enabled 20/40 quote of few of my devices (I have over 50+) stopped recognizing the network until I set it back to 20.

• Hi @UI-Karlis & @UI-Brett - it seems like the 2.4 GHz 20/40 MHz bandwidth option on Alien is killing access for a few people, where my HD was always set to 20/40 in the same location without issues

Can we provide anything to help diagnose the problem?

• @derek-saville Please send support files so we can look for an issue. Ill test this in the lab as well, are there any known devices this affects.

• Hi @ui-jt - back-to-back Support Info files were directly emailed to @UI-Brett & @UI-Karlis where enabling 20/40 MHz prevents five 2.4 GHz devices from reconnecting

Sorry, I don't have your e-mail address...