Should I set up a firewall with an Alien router?

• Hi guys
    The Alien is my primary router, setup like this:

• I have Fios gig service and the G1100 router/modem provided by them has some firewall capabilities but I have it sitting behind my Alien and it's essentially a bridge.
    • I have DHCP and the wireless radios turned off and the firewall setting set to a minimum since this is only providing the web connection to the cable boxes for the guides and DVR.

After going through setting up the Alien, I realized there are no firewall capabilities (at least from what I read and see in the app) so I'm curious if there are suggestions in setting one up or is that overkill for a simple home network? Maybe the Unifi Security Gateway?

• @glenn-davis-0 The Alien does have a Firewall built in. I would see if you can change the Fios unit to bridge mode or basically modem only.

Dont know but this might help
    https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31057540-Networking-HOW-TO-Bridge-G1100-So-your-Router-becomes-Primary

• Hi Tim
    The Alien has a firewall built in? Is there a way to see any settings?

• @glenn-davis-0 The Firewall is preconfigured and only has basic modifications that can be made by the users, such as UPnP and Port Forwarding.
    Firewall

Is there a specific setting you are looking for?

• Hi Brett
    No specific setting, just wanted to poke around. I swapped out my FiOS router/modem with the Alien as my primary router and noticed there were basic firewall settings in the FiOS box so wanted to know if there were similar settings.

• @UI-Brett Being a retired network engineer, what exactly does preconfigured mean? I like to see the nuts and bolts, review logs, etc. I would tell everyone who has the knowledge to understand and configure a firewall before the Alien should. Otherwise they are relying on others to decide for them what is necessary and what isn't.

• @markspaw -Definition: Set up ahead of time. It implies that the device or software application has been modified to suit the customer or situation. The only way to modify the firewall is by using port forwarding or enabling or disabling UPNP. There are no logs available for review.

• @markspaw said in Should I set up a firewall with an Alien router?:

I like to see the nuts and bolts, review logs, etc. I would tell everyone who has the knowledge to understand and configure a firewall before the Alien should. Otherwise they are relying on others to decide for them what is necessary and what isn't.

I am thinking of doing something similar (design mode atm) , with a USG acting as the Internet facing router which can utilise two lan interfaces one to my SOHO lan including a Unifi switch and ACpro and the other to the Home network with the Alien Router setup in Bridge mode , although I will loose
    Hardware NAT
    UPnP
    VLAN ID
    DHCP Server
    Port Forwarding
    Family Profiles
    QoS
    DNS
    The Extra protection from the USG firewall and the control of the SOHO network I believe should work , however I am wondering if there will be any performance hit to the Alien in Bridge mode to either its devices connected wirelessly and or wired devices , and wondering if all the pretty lights and display information will still work correctly sitting behind the USG - would appreciate thoughts or better still if anyone has this setup or tried the same, some real feedback thanks