Ubiquiti Networks AFI-P-HD AmpliFi Mesh Router Point and Bell 2000 modem modem

• Hey guys

I was reading about the Ubiquiti Networks AFI-P-HD AmpliFi Mesh Router Point and read that this device is compatible with 3rd party modems? Currently I am with Bell for internet and modem is the 2000. Is this device compatible or do I need the entire Mesh system?

Currently I am using the Asus AiMesh system and though it is decent, I do get a fair bit of disconnects which is why I am looking at other options.

Thanks

• Hi @Kevin-Corscadden - are you using your Bell 2000 Modem also as a router?
    Or do you have it in a Bridge mode with the Asus AiMesh system?

Any AmpliFi standalone HD router (not the kit systems) as well as the MeshPoint HD can work with 3rd party routers as mesh point extensions for the router's WiFi

For about $30 USD more, a standalone HD Router can perform the same 3rd party mesh function, has more processing power and a better antenna than the MeshPoint HD, it can be located away from the wall plug (although you may be wanting a direct plug-in), has Ethernet ports, and it can be re-purposed as a router later should you need one (i.e. using a modem without a router, or placing the modem router in Bridge mode)

Just note that AmpliFi HD's do not have dedicated backhaul radios, and are not MU-MIMO, so you will not get your full ISP rated speed when connected to a MeshPoint HD or HD Router as a wireless mesh point extension

They work pretty well and are simple to use and set up, but you may be disappointed if you are wanting to extract your maximum ISP bandwidth from wireless clients

• Currently the Bell 2000 is in bridge mode or as close to it as possible as it doesn't officially have a bridge mode.

So I have 3 Asus routers, 1 is in the main router, the other 2 are AiMesh setups.

What I am looking to do if possible is use the Bell 2000 as the router and then buy 2 of the Mest Points and tap into the 2000 and ignore the Asus AiMesh system all together. If this isn't possible, then I could look into the whole system.

As for full ISP bandwidth, I am not worried about that as the connection comes in through the basement. Everything is hardwired in the basement thus I get full speed. I live in a 2 storey home so getting a connection to the upper upstairs is the challenge. I am not worried about full ISP speed aside from the basement. Currently I have the router in the basement and then I have an AiMesh on each floor of the house. Basically swap the AiMesh's out for AMPLIFI MESH ROUTER POINT and tap it into the Bell 2000 vs Asus.

• What I am looking to do if possible is use the Bell 2000 as the router and then buy 2 of the Mest Points and tap into the 2000 and ignore the Asus AiMesh system all together.

Hi @Kevin-Corscadden - both the standalone HD Router and MeshPoint HD are capable of doing what you want

See the support article How to Add an AmpliFi Router or AmpliFi HD MeshPoint to a Third Party Router's Network

I would recommend using standalone HD Routers for what you want to do, as they are more capable and offer more options than the MeshPoint HD's for the relative cost difference, but both will work for your application needs

• @Derek-Saville

So you are recommending this?

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01L9O07FS?pf_rd_r=B1G16ZCNF51414CJAE32&pf_rd_p=05326fd5-c43e-4948-99b1-a65b129fdd73&th=1

If so, these can be added to the 2000 and act as Mesh Points?

• @Kevin-Corscadden Yes, that is the product @Derek-Saville was recommending and yes it can be added wirelessly to your Bell 2000 as a Mesh Point.

• @UI-Brett Interesting, well that changes a lot of things now. Thanks guys