Some WiFi client speeds near zero until reboot

• This seems similar to the oft-reported "needs constant reboot" issue but I wanted to describe mine in a bit more detail by way of a few bullets.

• The symptom is dead slow internet access; like stalled but not totally stopped
    • Some WiFi clients experience this simultaneously but not all
    • Not the same clients every time
    • Wired clients never seem to have this issue
    • A reboot clears it up for at least a day; sometimes it's fine for many days or even weeks

I'm interested in what diagnostics I can do here when I catch it in the act.

• Thus far my issue most resembles this one:

https://community.amplifi.com/topic/441/have-to-reboot-amplifi-every-1-3-days

I'm going through the posts there to see if anything fits. If indeed too many devices causes the issue then it would be awfully nice to have the Amplifi config tool warn against this. I have 37 wireless clients connected along with a few wired ones.

• @Chris-Bredesen After you experience the issue, it is best to generate support files from the app and we can analyze them to see what could be causing this issue on your network.

You said it's not the same devices every time, but is there a relation to what mesh point the devices are connected to when this happens?

• @UI-Brett I'll look for correlations to which mesh point they are connected to. It's worth mentioning that I don't restart the MPs, just the base unit. When it happens I'll generate the support files and reply here for instructions.

• @Chris-Bredesen said in Some WiFi client speeds near zero until reboot:

https://community.amplifi.com/topic/441/have-to-reboot-amplifi-every-1-3-days

You mention that wired clients do not have the problem. Are these clients wired directly to the modem or into the router?

• @tencap they're wired through at least 1 switch. My modem has almost nothing directly connected to it for wiring logistics reasons.

• @Chris-Bredesen

I had something of the same issue when my clients bypassed the router. I found that the Asus Touchstone cm8200a (docsys 3.1) produced effects that looked like dns issues, as pages could not resolve after about twenty minutes of use. I sent in the logs, which Amplifi staff examined and said did not show any errors on the part of my Alien mesh network. As a result I updated my modem to a Netgear cm1200 and problem solved. Brett suggested that the Asus choked when running at gig speeds. I don't know what to make of this as any docsys 3.1 modem would by definition be able to do so as that functionality was a major reason for the higher speed capability in the first place if I am not mistaken. Indeed, this model Asus remains a standard among the major ISPs.

• @tencap said in Some WiFi client speeds near zero until reboot:

I had something of the same issue when my clients bypassed the router.

How would clients bypass the router? My ISP is only 120Mbit down so we aren't talking hardware-choking speeds. I have an ARRIS unit supplied by my provider (Spectrum). Anyway thanks for the reply, I'm grateful for all help on this!

• @Chris-Bredesen

My apologies, I miswrote. I meant to write that the problem occurred when I attempted to connect my clients to the internet via my Alien mesh routers. When I connected directly to the modem via ethernet the problem did not occur.

As to the speed issue, let me suggest that you try another modem. I don't know what model ARRIS you were supplied but nonetheless look into another, perhaps newer, model. Spectrum approved list here:

https://approvedmodemlist.com/charter-spectrum-approved-modems/

As I mentioned, I had success in using the Netgear cm1200.

Incidentally I bought the Touchstone cm8200a on Amazon and was able to return it when it proved ineffective.

• @tencap said in Some WiFi client speeds near zero until reboot:

As to the speed issue, let me suggest that you try another modem. I don't know what model ARRIS you were supplied but nonetheless look into another, perhaps newer, model. Spectrum approved list here:

I'll have a look. I get full advertised speed and plus we have a landline (ugh, I know) so I have held back on replacing it until we upgrade to their 400mb service. When I say clients get slow, I mean the internet seems to not be working at all. Pages might render after 45sec or so. Basically unusable but not full on broken.

• @Chris-Bredesen

Okay, so you get top speed except when you connect via a router?

• @tencap I get most of my ISP bandwidth (within reason) over all my wifi clients. I get full bw on wired clients always. Sometimes, some subset of my wifi clients slow to a 2400bps crawl without warning. At that time some other wifi clients are fine and all wired clients are fine. A router reboot solves it every time.

I'm going to grab support debug logs next time it happens.

• @Chris-Bredesen

Sounds like a plan. Just in case the logs are unrevealing, as they were in my case, think modem swap.

• @UI-Brett the unit got wedged last night and it timed out trying to capture the debug logs. Twice. I noted also that it seemed almost to be reconnecting to the base within the app. Like clicking around was slow and sometimes looked to be almost re-authenticating. But I could not get the logs. Reboot fixed it.

Thoughts?

• @Chris-Bredesen Logs will be the most important part in diagnosing and finding a fix, but the need to reboot to do anything makes that extremely difficult. One thing I would suggest so we can at least gather logs is the next time it goes down (and if waiting for it to come back up without a reboot isn't an option) is to disconnect the WAN cable from AmpliFi, severing it from the outside world. Then, using a laptop or desktop, hardwire to your computer to any LAN port on AmpliFi and navigate to http://amplifi.lan or the router IP address (if placed in bridge mode, The IP might be needed so record that before hand just in case so you have it)
    Then download support files from the WebUI

• @UI-Brett OK this sounds great. I can make that happen.

• @UI-Brett Just emailed in support file a0:77:cd. Rebooting base since I have to get back to work.

• I have pretty much the same issue. Have an aplifi HD router and one meshpoint. Everything will be working great then a client connected to the meshpoint will have extremely slow internet or none at all. If I pause the meshpoint and have the client connect directly to the amplifi router things are fine. Rebooting the meshpoint fixes the issue for a day or two.

• I had exactly the same issue while I was running firmware v3.3.0. I rolled back to v3.1.2 three days ago and since then everything has worked perfectly, no issues at all. It seems to me like this could be a firmware issue.

• I am having the same exact issue ( have a ticket open with support )

Every 24-48 hours, WiFI comes to a halt. I have to power cycle the base station to get things back to normal. This has happened ever since the 3.3.0 firmware update.

Wired clients have no issues at all.