Change Subnet Mask

• Hi there, I have been corresponding with the support team. they asked me to post a feature request here. Please add the ability to change subnet as I am running out of clients for all my home IoT devices (security, lights etc). Thanks!

• @Rubin-Mohan How many devices do you have connected to your network?
    By default, you can connect 149 devices based on the /24 subnet and default settings, but the range can be increased if needed by following this article: https://help.amplifi.com/hc/en-us/articles/219134627-Configuring-the-DHCP-Server-Settings

• Hi Brett, thanks for the response. I have 155+ devices (90+ Light switches/outlets, 40 security/landscape devices and the rest are wired connections for xbox, computers). During the holidays devices that require an ip address goes up. As you can imagine I am juggling to keep it within range. Not sure why the ability to change the subnet mask is hard. The link you sent doesn't give me an option to go above 149 devices unless I keep the router bridge mode right? Which has its own set of drawbacks. I have 5 amplify HD routers to manage good signals at home. Thanks!

• @Rubin-Mohan Step 4 of the support article describes a start and end address for clients. If you change start to a lower point, that will allow more addresses.

I will add your vote to the feature request for the ability to modify the subnet. Thank you!

• @UI-Brett Thanks so much! Hope you guys can get this feature quickly. I can attest to how wonderful your hardware is and the ease of use if amazing. I just would like the ability to add more than 149 devices before xmas 2020 so I don't have to do creative ways to shut down devices to manage it to the 149 limit..that would be a nice xmas present. Thanks!

• @Rubin-Mohan for the moments when you have visitors I think the easiest way will be to enable the Guest network and add them to it. Not the best use case solution, in case you want them to have access to your other devices, but you can provide internet access, at least.

• @UI-Brett Adding my +1 to this. I have an ever-growing bank of single board computers, and on my previous router I had them all separated out into 192.168.2.x and 192.168.3.x (with my normal devices using the 192.168.1.x range). My web server is offline until I can figure out how to work around this!

• @Matt-Cole +1 IoT enthusiast here, last house was fine, next one in a few months will likely be a monster if I don't run a separate routing device or an IoT hub

• @Matt-Cole So are you requesting the ability to change the subnet, or the ability to create VLAN's as well?

• @UI-Brett The ability to change the subnet mask would be enough for what I'm doing.

• @Rubin-Mohan I like this feature too. It is not a hardware limitation neither a software, it is a limitation in the input field.

• @UI-Brett It is not about how many devices (at least not for me) it is about segmenting my floors and be able to differ my DHCP scope from my reserved addresses.

i.e.
    10.35.0.x - Ground Floor
    10.35.1.x - First Floor
    10.35.2.x - Second Floor

10.35.35.x - DHCP Scope

• @chermus @UI-Brett Thats great requirement Chermus. I was hoping the new Alien would be able to do this but I have been told it doesn't. Such a shame for an otherwise outstanding hardware and software

• @Rubin-Mohan @UI-Brett The strangest thing about this, it is not a hardware or software limitation, but a limitation of the APP (Fields). Because all DHCP services are able to work this way. They need just to open the fields to receive multiple octets in the DHCP scope and add a subnetmask input field. And with reservation just remove the limitation of changing the last octet only.

• Just so that we can align on the ask. What is currently provided is a class A network. We need a class B network to get more clients on the network. Please see below. Thanks!

Class A network has netmask 255.0.0.0 and Class B has 255.255.0.0 and Class C finally has 255.255.255.0

The netmask determines how many hosts ( devices ) there can be in one segment. Class A can have 16 777 214 ( 2^24 – 2 ), class B can have 65 534 ( 2^16 - 2 ), and class C can have 254 ( 2^8 - 2 ).

The term “-2” comes from the fact that x.x.x.0 is the network itself and x.x.x.255 is the broadcast address.