Use Amplifi Instant as mesh for HD?

• I would like a mesh point with Ethernet to hook to switch for devices with not as good internal Wi-Fi. Using an Amplfi Instant as mesh point to and an HD is my idea. That seems like it would work right? Is the add on mesh box from the instant kit available as a standalone instead of the HD mesh points? I like the style of that box and the available Ethernet port on Instant version of mesh point.

• @brianhfasps Correct, you cannot purchase the Instant mesh point specifically, but you can purchase an AmpliFi Instant stand alone router or the AmpliFi HD stand alone router and use that as a wireless meshpoint with LAN connections. This article might help as well: https://help.amplifi.com/hc/en-us/articles/235807288-Which-AmpliFi-model-is-best-for-my-home-

• Hi,
    let me further expand the question of adding AmpliFi Instant router as a mesh point for AmpliFi HD router. Provided that I've purchased Instant kit (that is router + instant mesh point, the one that only has single ethernet port), can an Instant router from that kit be used as a mesh point for AmpliFi HD router that I also own? Or only if I purchase Instant router as a separate device? If the former (that is: kit router works OK) - what happens to Instant mesh point then? Will it still work as a 3rd mesh point in my network?
    Best regards,
    Kuba

• Hi @Kuba-Wyrostek...

can an Instant router from that kit be used as a mesh point for AmpliFi HD router that I also own?

No, only standalone devices can be added as a mesh point

If you have a kit, the router from the kit must be the primary router of the mesh, and in this case you would need to add the HD as a mesh point point to the Instant kit, which wouldn’t be ideal considering the performance loss of the Instant versus the HD for managing the mesh

Or only if I purchase Instant router as a separate device?

That would work, but consider the cost difference of a second HD versus the Instant and the added benefits the HD’s have

If the former (that is: kit router works OK) - what happens to Instant mesh point then? Will it still work as a 3rd mesh point in my network?

Not applicable since you can’t add a kit to another router

• Thanks for detailed answer! This is very important for me because I was considering purchasing the Instant kit first, to see if it is enough for my needs, and only upgrade to HD Router (with kit router as mesh point) when necessary.

What is misleading though, is the compatibility matrix (https://help.amplifi.com/hc/en-us/articles/235807288#compatibility) which states, that AFi-INS is two-way compatible AFi-R. I am not sure how to interpret the table then.

In my case HD mesh point is not an option, because it must be placed in a wall socket.

Best regards!
    Kuba

• @Kuba-Wyrostek Hello, the compatibility matrix can be hard to read. What it is saying is you can add an AFi-R to the AFi-INS but you cannot add AFi-INS to a AFi-R. You cannot add kits to stand alone routers but you can add stand alone to a kit. Hope this helps.

• @Kuba-Wyrostek said in Use Amplifi Instant as mesh for HD?:

https://help.amplifi.com/hc/en-us/articles/235807288#compatibility

Thanks.

Maybe I am wrong, but there is no way in compatibility matrix to deduce that one "can add an AFi-R to the AFi-INS but (...) cannot add AFi-INS to a AFi-R". There are green tick marks no matter whether your read column-then-row or row-then-column. So as I said, the relation seems bi-directional, doesn't it?

0_1585843556492_Screenshot 2020-04-02 at 18.04.16.png

Regards
    Kuba

• @Kuba-Wyrostek As long as you set the kit up first then add the standalone device it will work.

• But not the other way round, as you said before. So either update your "hard to read" compatibility matrix or prove me wrong.

• @Kuba-Wyrostek I can see what you mean by hard to read.
    I personally see it as just overall compatibility, not that the left side is the starting point, and the top columns are what you can add. But your feedback brings a new perspective to it, and I can see the confusion. We will work on making this graph clearing and provide more details so everyone can understand it.

• It was not me who said it's "hard to read". 😉 It's easy to read, it just doesn't comply with what "JT" stated a few posts ago.

Since this is just "overall compatibility" then there is no way that this matrix is "saying is you can add an AFi-R to the AFi-INS but you cannot add AFi-INS to a AFi-R". Besides "Third-party router" line the matrix is simply symmetrical.

K.

• Hi @UI-Brett - you might want to create a second "Upgrade Guide" where it shows "if you have this..." on one axis, you can "...add this to your existing mesh" on the other axis?

While the current compatibility matrix is technically correct (i.e. you can technically always make an Instant Kit work with a standalone HD Router by making the Instant the primary installation) that isn't necessarily relevant to what people really want to know

And as @Kuba-Wyrostek stated, the description "...if you have an AFi-HD and are thinking about expanding your system, a quick glance at the table will show you that you can expand your network..." and the symmetry of the current compatibility matrix might imply "two-way" compatibility that does not exist