Can I add 3 Routers to 1 network

• I have a weird config for my house. I would prob need 3 of these. I have 6 Google Wifi Gen1 nodes. I think I need 2 routers and 1 of the mesh unit.

• Hi @Becky-Montemayor - yes, you can add standalone Alien routers to a single Alien kit (Router + MeshPoint), or combine 3 or more standalone Alien routers, into a single mesh

The constraints are only one kit per mesh, the kit router must be the primary router, and the MeshPoint from the kit is hard coded and cannot be used separately from the kit’s router (so if the kit router fails the MeshPoint is unusable as well)

Some people prefer using only standalone routers because of the hard coded limitations of the kit MeshPoints

The legacy HD range is also not compatible with the Alien’s mesh

• @Becky-Montemayor This may help clear things up: Which AmpliFi is Best For My Home

• @Derek-Saville Thank you. Perfect. Now if I could just find one in stock! 🙂

• @UI-Brett @Derek-Saville

Can the wired connection be used as backhaul? I would much rather use the wired connection for reliable mesh backhaul and keep wireless for the clients.

Like the original poster i too would probably need 3 units to cover. So i could in theory get a Kit, and add a router? and wire them all together in a mesh network and just have wireless used for clients?

Lastly if i had 2 routers on the same mesh network, could they serve 2 separate ISP WANs? or they only support one master WAN? In other words i have 2 internet services coming in. I know i can use edgerouters and have both WANs enabled but as this is a more consumer oriented device would this work with the alien?

Thanks,
    s

• Hi @Sin-Cohen...

Can the wired connection be used as backhaul?

Yes

So i could in theory get a Kit, and add a router?

Correct
    You just cannot add a kit to a kit

...and wire them all together in a mesh network and just have wireless used for clients?

Yes

Lastly if i had 2 routers on the same mesh network, could they serve 2 separate ISP WANs?

Not easily or managed as a single mesh

...or they only support one master WAN?

AmpliFi routers individually only support one WAN

In other words i have 2 internet services coming in. I know i can use edgerouters and have both WANs enabled but as this is a more consumer oriented device would this work with the alien?
    An Alien by itself can only mange one Primary mesh from a single source + Guest access

You could run the Alien mesh in Bridge mode behind an EdgeRouter If your primary need is WiFi and this works very well (almost all of my Alien installations are Bridge mode behind other routers)

Since Alien is WiFi-6 you could try running 2 separate Alien routers with the same SSID using the two WANs, with minimal signal overlap, and see how well it works

Right now though you cannot manually select the WiFi-6 channel

In theory WiFi-6 is better at avoiding interference, but older WiFi-5 clients may not play nicely, so you would be in experimental territory

Maybe @UI-Brett can comment or has tried this in their lab?

You needed 2 routers anyways and can convert one to a RAMP and/or run them behind an ER If it doesn’t work out