AmpliFi MeshPoint HD vs AmpliFi HD as RAMP or Bridge

• I have a single AmpliFi HD router already, and I've been using it for a couple years, very much trouble-free. I have recently become frustrated by low WiFi speeds (inadequate for WiFi phone calls) in my basement. The basement is largely below-grade and constructed heavily. I have a wired gigabit switch that connects video streamers and the like to the router on the main floor of the house (Roku, Tivo Connect, Lutron Caseta hub).

In looking to improve wireless capability, what are the advantages to my various options?

It seems to me that since I have a wired connection available, AmpliFi MeshPoint HD is the least good, though perhaps easiest and cheapest option.

Adding a second AmpliFi HD router allows me to use the wired backhaul, but leaves me unsure of a couple options. What is the experience like when moving through the house with a WiFi connected phone when parts of the house are partially covered by two mesh routers (RAMP) vs an access point operating in bridge mode?

The other configurable aspect here is the switch I have in the basement. Since I need more than the 4 ports available on the AmpliFi HD, I will continue to use the switch I have in place already. Does positioning a switch between the two AmpliFI HD units offer any advantages or disadvantages? (WiFi coverage will be better by locating the second AmpliFi HD away from the switch - basically, the cable connecting to the router on the main level of the house doesn't reach as far as I would like for optimal WiFi coverage.)

Is any of these options likely to interfere with sensitive network devices, like Tivo, smart hubs, or Sonos? (I don't know the particular limitations of these systems, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were limited to operation within a single subnet or something.)

Thanks for your help!

Fred

• @HopefulFred said in AmpliFi MeshPoint HD vs AmpliFi HD as RAMP or Bridge:

What is the experience like when moving through the house with a WiFi connected phone when parts of the house are partially covered by two mesh routers (RAMP) vs an access point operating in bridge mode?

You would not want to configure them as two networks with bridge mode, because then the devices will not make the decision to roam as freely between the two since they will have to negotiate credentials each time, and are unlikely to if they still have a solid connection.
    However, if the AmpliFi HD routers are meshed together and you have ethernet backhaul enabled, devices will view both connections as a primary location and will roam seamlessly between the two with far less disruption.

Does positioning a switch between the two AmpliFI HD units offer any advantages or disadvantages?

The ideal configuration is to connect the RAMP directly to the primary router, however this is not needed and you can position that switch between the two without and disadvantages.

The only limitations you may face with devices on the AmpliFi network would be 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz related, where the additional SSID settings can help. But in terms of where the devices are connected, it makes no difference if they are talking to the primary router or the RAMP, they will all be on the same network.

• @UI-Brett Thanks so much for the complete reply. I suspected that would be the best bet, but it's always nice to have confidence before making a hardware investment.

I'll go put a new AmpliFI HD on my shopping list!