AmpliFi HD users: completely custom SSID with 2.4 and 5 GHz bands separation?

• Hello there,

I would like to purchase ad Amplifi HD with two mesh antenna.

I see from the manual the option “Separate Wi-FI SSID”.

What I want to achieve is to have two separated SSID, with completely custom names defined by me

(e.g. “Piricipolli2.4" and “Piricipolli5", the first one is for 2.4 GHz and the latter for 5 GHz connections”.

Is it possible? I would like to avoid the router letting me create just one custom SSID name and then add a suffix like 2g and 5g to the end of the custom SSID.

cannot use the function you mentioned because the "Additional SSID” function would led to the creation of two network as follows:

1st: Network-2g
    2nd: Network-5g

And this would prevent me from completely customize the SSID name.

What I want to achieve is not creating additional SSID, but using another function (Separate Wi-FI SSID).
    After using this function, I would like to know if the two resulting SSID names would be completely customizable or not, without suffixes like -2g or -5g.

Thank you in advance for your support

• @Antispam-Mail AmpliFi can create additional SSID's that are 2.4gh or 5gh specific. The names are customizable to remove the suffix of -5 and -2g if desired. However, all of these broadcast are on the same subnet, which means they are not different networks and AmpliFi does not have the capabilities of VLANS.

If you are looking for fully customizable SSID's, then a recent update has given that ability to AmpliFi and everything you described will work. The primary SSID cannot be disabled, but can be hidden if you would only like your 2.4 and 5 networks to broadcast.

• Ciao Brett,

I only want to achieve this:

1. have a 2.4 GHz SSID named "PiricipolliHome2.4"
    2. have a 5 GHz SSID named "PiricipolliHome5"

no suffixes, nothing more 🙂

Is it possible?

Thanks!

• @Antispam-Mail Yes, but the primary SSID will still have to broadcast since it cannot be disabled, so if you do not want it to be seen in your network list you will want to enable the Hidden SSID feature on the primary broadcast.

• @UI-Brett

So if I understand well I will have 3 SSID:

1. Primary SSID, named "insertYourNameHere"
    2. 2.4 GHz SSID named "PiricipolliHome2.4"
    3. 5 GHz SSID named "Piricipolli5"

then, if I don't want to broadcast "insertYourNameHere" SSID, I can turn on Hidden SSID; otherwise I will broadcast the three SSID, correct?

To me what matters is SSID names, cause I have 100+ smart home devices actually linked to a PiricipolliHome2.4 network and, because of some of them are not reconfigurable unless I hardwire them, I want to keep the old SSID, replacing the whole system with an Amplifi HD and as said keeping the old SSID.

I will wait for your kind confirmation 🙂

Thank you so much in advance

• @Antispam-Mail for sure @UI-Brett will confirm this too, but yes, your understanding is correct.

• @Virgil-Nicolae ok waiting for Brett confirmation, can't wait to switch to Amplifi 🙂

• @Antispam-Mail sure, no problem. The main Wifi SSID will still broadcast (hidden though in this case) and you'll have 2 additional SSID's, as per your definition accordingly 😉 Good luck 🙂

• @Virgil-Nicolae yes my only fear is not being able to have fully customized SSID!

• @Antispam-Mail I hope the pictures will reflect and answer your fear 🙂 1_1585943564145_IMG_4834.PNG 0_1585943564144_IMG_4833.PNG

• @Antispam-Mail That is correct! One side note, if any of these devices have a static assigned IP, just keeping the SSID name will not be enough, you will also need to modify the subnet in AmpliFi to match the IP scheme. Example: 192.168.123.x. But reach out if you have any issues related to that and I can help.

• @Virgil-Nicolae

You have made my day! I also displayed your reply to my wife. It’s due to person like you that the world is a better place!

Thank you for your kindness!!!!!!!!

• @Antispam-Mail You're very welcome, happy I could bring some sunshine over, during those cloudy days we're all living! Cheers and, as @UI-Brett mentioned, reach out if you need any further assistance 🙂

• @UI-Brett

Ciao Brett, yes several devices Connected to 2.4 ghz ssid must have static ip to be discovered by homebridge server, which addresses the requests basing on the static ip.

What does your reply mean in real world?

Second question: is there a limit concerning the number of static ips I can reserve for my devices? Tplink for example Has a cap set to 32 devices!

• @Virgil-Nicolae

Yeah definitely needed, we are in Italy struggling against this virus..

• @Antispam-Mail France in here, dealing with the same crap. Stay strong and safe! 💪
    Let me/us know if you need additional help!

• @UI-Brett & @Virgil-Nicolae

Good morning everybody, I prepared a recap to summarize my current situation.
    I live in a 10 floor condo, in the middle of a crowded Italian city, in a 80 square meters apartment (Click picture for full resolution):

CLICK TO ENLARGE

At the moment connectivity is managed via a Tp-Link Touch P5 router, with two separated SSID (2.4 and 5 GHz). Smart home architecture is Apple Homekit (this is the reason why I have so many devices).

I achieve great speed on 5 GHz (550 Mbit/s - I own a fiber 1 Gbit); the problem is reliability on 2.4 GHz.

Very often many devices are not responding (in red in the picture); I thought three things:

1. Faulty Homekit hub --> I have 4 hubs, switching them has not led to a solution

2. zigbee interferences --> I shut down zigbee hubs, no solutions. I changed 2.4 GHz wifi channel to 13 to avoid zigbee interferences, no solutions

3. neighbors interferences --> with a signal monitor I discovered that the peripherals devices (in red) have a very weak signal, maybe this is the cause of frequent instability.

To verify my theory, I turned ON a new, additional 2.4 GHz router in the middle of the house, and immediately the devices started disconnecting (the ones with a weak signal). Turning it OFF solved the issue.

For this reason I thought of replacing the TpLink with a mesh router, in order to have a more powerful and reliable connection.

Can it be a solution? This is where Amplifi HD comes in. Is it the right product to fix my issue?

Or do you have better advices?

I also highlighted in the map where I would put the mesh antennas. Router would replace the current one, same position.

Sorry for bothering you but I am looking for the final solution to solve everything. What I am looking for is simply the best in class product to eliminate all my issues.

Thank you for your advices 🙂

• @Antispam-Mail said in AmpliFi HD users: completely custom SSID with 2.4 and 5 GHz bands separation?:

I also highlighted in the map where I would put the mesh antennas.

When you switch to AmpliFi, start with just the router plugged in and not the mesh points. Reason for this is depending on physical interference, you may not need additional mesh points for coverage and adding them will only cause more interference in the area if they are to close.

• @UI-Brett

Ciao Brett, just to better understand; should I only purchase the amplifi, see if it works properly and, only if the coverage is not enough, purchase and add later the mesh antennas?

Thanks

• @Antispam-Mail Based on the diagram you uploaded and the total meters square, that's exactly what I would do. Test performance and connection strength with just the router and expand from there if needed.